ABS?

Amber ABS trailer warning on dash! Would you take it out? stop and not continue until fixed/looked at if on the road? Continue your journey?Would you even bother to report it? Answers and reasons please!

very common on a daf in my experience, new or old. take abs suzi off, spray with wd40,put it back on. you should report it. but don’t worry about it. abs on trucks is crap anyway.

I wouldnt continue, if you get a pull you are done, and black mark on O licence !!!

In my opinion, amber is ok, its just compatibility issues between the unit and trailer, but dont take it out with a red light on!

get this often on our training artic - had it checked out by garage - all safe - computer glitch - ignore or spend loads & loads of money to TRY and find it…

ROG:
get this often on our training artic - had it checked out by garage - all safe - computer glitch - ignore or spend loads & loads of money to TRY and find it…

Same thing, spent a whole day with the mechanic in his workshop, a late afternoon phone call to Wabco techno dep,
''Oh ignore any orange lights, the trailer and truck aren’t compatible :open_mouth: ‘’

When they both go for the MOT, the tester usually frowns and scratches his head when the orange light stays on, then he goes and looks in a book in the office, then comes back happy :laughing:

common with 4 series scanias and dafs with new trailers. I had a major abs break down on teusday night :smiley: 2 orange and 1 red on scania i used while my daf was in garage. luckily where it happened scania garage was 2mins round corner…BUT down big steep hill and fully loaded with pop. gets to front gate and explains and asks for fire extinguisher as wheels where smoking and smelt like was about to go up… an hour later i was back on road

limeyphil:
very common on a daf in my experience, new or old. take abs suzi off, spray with wd40,put it back on. you should report it. but don’t worry about it. abs on trucks is crap anyway.

Our 07 and 57 DAFs do this randomly, no need to exit the cab just turn the ignition off and on again and it go’s away,only to be replaced with a low coolant warning 2 miles down the road :astonished:

Orange light is warning and red light is stop. If you suspect a problem trailer might be best to connect up with the ignition off, sometimes works.

i had this prob, spoke to fitter about it and he pulled fog light suzie out, the light on dashboard went out and the abs still worked , took abs lead out and light went out on dashboard and abs still worked, he said they often wired fog light suzie up to work abs before abs leads came into force now that both are wired up to make abs work they cause a conflict which makes warning light come on

I was once told to make sure the green light on the front of the trailer comes on when pressing the brake (usually next to the o/s/f marker light) if it does come on then you have A.B.S. regardless of what warning lights on dashboard say. Bunkum? I don’t know.

The orange light doesn’t mean the trailer abs isn’t working, it means the truck’s abs and the trailers abs systems aren’t ‘talking’ to each other!!
as someone said above it’s common on dafs.

Alot of it is a compatabillty isue according to a vosa fitter the other day providing it’s orange nad not red and goes out when you press the brake pedal not a problem

Had one the other day where, on inspection, although the ISO sockets on the trailer and unit were seven pin, the actual lead was only 5 pin. Change lead, problem solved.

Another occasion, had been driving around all day with the amber light on and then, had to hit the brakes a bit smartish, the result of which was that the amber light went out. Can only presume that the harsh braking had shifted some crap that was preventing a sensor from operating correctly. :smiley:

Around 1 in 5 trailers i pull have that orange “brake truck warning” error on the dash on my DAF, i ignore it now as it still brakes OK and the warning comes up regular.

I ignore the amber warnings, just enter them in a defect book.