A novel way of bringing a vehicle up to test standard

I could have titled this thread “I wish I had my camera with me” - but I’ll get a picture in the near future anyway… it’s too good to miss, trust me!

When driving my van round the Bridge of Don area of Aberdeen today, saw a real sight for sore eyes - one of the local LGV training companies made their flatbed trailer test legal by… wait for it… strapping down a PORTACABIN :laughing: :grimacing: onto it!!

Still p1$$1ng myself laughing as I write!

Anyone came across other such examples of inventiveness?

PS - this combination seems to fall short of the 12 metre minimum length requirement. When I post the photo, you can form your own opinions!

AFAIK, that would not be “test legal”

I was talking to an instructor at a school down here and asked him

“You’ve got twistlocks on that flat, why don’t you just get a container and put that on the flat? It would be cheaper than a new (second hand) trailer”

His reply was that they had looked into that option but the container would be classed as a “load” Although that is coming soon, training vehicles are not permitted to carry “loads” at the moment, making that option illegal

The “portacabin” would be the same situation.

I hope it’s not you’re training school cos I think you would be turned away at the test centre, forfitting you’re test fee

Semtex:
His reply was that they had looked into that option but the container would be classed as a “load” Although that is coming soon, training vehicles are not permitted to carry “loads” at the moment, making that option illegal

I must admit it didn’t sound right to me as well; also the min. length is 14m so if it doesn’t look like it’s 12m it may be too short anyway.

mrpj:

Semtex:

I must admit it didn’t sound right to me as well; also the min. length is 14m so if it doesn’t look like it’s 12m it may be too short anyway.

According to the DSA’s own “Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles”, the 14 metre minimum length is indeed 14 metres - but only for vehicles registered from the 1st October 2003. This vehicle was a good deal older.

Have also read that it is possible to use a skeletal trailer on a test - provided that it had a container fitted. But once again how can this not be classed as a load beats me. You could at least argue in this case that if the container is empty that it would at least serve the same purpose as an empty box trailer. But I cannot see how you could possibly call a portacabin an empty box.

After all’s said and done though - if the examiner is happy…

SuperLez:
According to the DSA’s own “Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles”, the 14 metre minimum length is indeed 14 metres - but only for vehicles registered from the 1st October 2003. This vehicle was a good deal older.

I think they changed the rules so as of July this year the 14m rule applies to all vehicles, even the older ones. If the examiners seem happy with it then fair enough I suppose :laughing:

mrpj:
I think they changed the rules so as of July this year the 14m rule applies to all vehicles, even the older ones. If the examiners seem happy with it then fair enough I suppose :laughing:

I would have thought that the industry standard bible would have mentioned this fact - then again I’m reading from the 2006 edition.

SuperLez:

mrpj:

I would have thought that the industry standard bible would have mentioned this fact - then again I’m reading from the 2006 edition.

Minimum Test Vehicle Requirements

Coffeeholic:
Minimum Test Vehicle Requirements

Thanks for the updated info!

Notice that they say a tractor unit is not a suitable vehicle for a C test! :unamused: :laughing:

I also note that they say that test vehicles should be 14m long, have 8 forward ratios etc etc instead of must be! :confused:

SuperLez:
Notice that they say a tractor unit is not a suitable vehicle for a C test! :unamused: :laughing:

They have to point that out I think, bearing in mind a tractor unit can be driven on a C Licence but it doesn’t meet the minimum spec for the test

Coffeeholic:
bearing in mind a tractor unit can be driven on a C Licence

Oh god, here we go again!

semtex:
Although that is coming soon, training vehicles are not permitted to carry “loads” at the moment, making that option illegal

When I did my test I remember asking how much difference I could expect to feel with a loaded artic and thought it’d be a good idea if some level of ballast were required for the test. My instructor agreed but said that had been tried but was stopped after a nasty accident with a “load” coming off. Not sure if there’s any truth in this.

I also note that they say that test vehicles should be 14m long, have 8 forward ratios etc etc instead of must be!

14 Metres is a strict rule for tests now - I found that out the hard way.

We bought a Daf tractor unit and trailer which we bought as a 14 metre combination.
The sign in the bat said 14 metres
We never bothered to measure it and we took many trainees for test in it with no probs.
Intil the rule changes.
The examiners came out with a tape measure on ALL trucks that day and guess what■■?
Ours was 2 inches short - and they refused to take the truck on test.

We could not believe it over a mere two inches - but there is always ONE examiner who wears the jobsworth hat.

We welded an iron girder on the back and it is not test legal and we have had no further problems.

Although that two inches cost us the price of the test that we had to re- buy for the trainee. (Who passed by the way )