Did you know

Did you know that if you passed your test after
january 1997 that you cannot legally tow things
like horse boxes, caravans and large car trailers
and will need to pass a B+E test. I did not know this
to last week when a lad was doing is B+E Test
and apparently a lot of people are towing illegally.

Yes, I was aware of this and the part about people towing illegally doesn’t surprise me.

True, also you cannot drive minibuses or 7.5 tonners either !!!

cannot drive minibuses

Sort of, you can’t drive anything with more than 8 passenger seats ‘fitted’, so small minibuses/large MPV’s are OK.
How about crew busses though, they just have two very long passenger seats in the back. :laughing:

you cannot legally tow things
like horse boxes, caravans and large car trailers

You can tow a trailer upto 750Kg providing the total weight of the trailer and tow vehicle combination doesnt excede 3.5 tonnes. So an average salloon car (1 ton) and a modern medium size caravan 750kg (laden) is ok. Horse boxes are generally a no no though.

Crazy thing is i can Drive any Rigid goods vehicle, so theoretically that could be a mobile crane weighing 100 tonnes (although i couldnt operate the crane), but i cant drive a standard Transit mini bus with 12 seats! work out the logic in that.

Also if you buy a double decker bus and remove all bar 8 passenger seats it becomes a car!

dennisw1:
Also if you buy a double decker bus and remove all bar 8 passenger seats it becomes a car!

According to the DVLA it needs to be a ‘mobile project vehicle’ which has it’s own conditions applied.

A very little know fact is that if you have held a full category C for two years you can drive a bus / coach providing it’s damaged and being driven to a place of repair.

mrpj:
A very little know fact is that if you have held a full category C for two years you can drive a bus / coach providing it’s damaged and being driven to a place of repair.

I wonder why they don’t allow you to drive PCVs without passengers full stop on a Cat C, would make more sense.

The one that gets me is i have my hgv2 with restriction 102 meaning i can tow a trailor, Now i can drive to a test centre in hgv2 with a trailor and have a crack at my c+e if i pass i can then drive an artic but if i fail i can still drive home in my hgv2 with the trailor on :unamused: :unamused: madness pure madness

simon

convoy:
apparently a lot of people are towing illegally.

what else is new? how many caravans do you see in the outside lane at 70+? how many of them dont have a number plate on the back? the entitlement is clear enough on your licence so they have no excuse for it. maybe the police should start pulling these people over instead of wasting our time :unamused:

Stupid thing again is i cant drive my parents Frontera and Caravan as it’s over the 3.5t combination weight.

The Caravan though is 750kg so i could hitch it to the back of an 18tonner and tow it that would be ok, but not on a car!

I could also put both the frontera and the caravan together onto the back of a recovery wagon and carry them that would again be legal!