A massive difference

In commercial motor this week they say a new Scania R440 6x2 highline is £90k give or take.
In Truck and Driver last week a new mp3 Actros 2546 6x2 megaspace is
£70k give or take.
Now thats a massive difference on one unit,imagine the difference on a fleet for example 10 Scanias cost the same as 13 Mercs. How do Scania expect hauliers to pay that :confused: Neither unit is flawless but they are both great trucks with fairly equal reputations and resale value. If anyone from Scania reads this i think you arent going to have the supply problems the other manufacturers experience. Every cloud eh :cry:

That explains why we are getting a load of small Mercs !!

Mike-C:

30 to b precise i think ! heard 1 of ure drivers talkin the other day in greycourt

for a start that price for the scania is only list price - nobody in their right mind would be paying list price, even with supply like it is

second thing is residual values, take a look what 5 year old scanias are fetching compared with comparable spec 5 year old mercs :open_mouth:

last and least, the scania is SEEN as more reliable, more prestige, not really a fleet motor, so the 13-for-10 doesn’t come into it

mark h:

Mike-C:

30 to b precise i think ! heard 1 of ure drivers talkin the other day in greycourt

They’ve been saying that since christmas. In reality they done a check the other weekto see who did and didn’t have digi tachos, and we’ve had some Merc demonstrators. It looks like we have some coming in next week, supposed to be low cabs for the day men and the tall ones for the trampers. One of the trampers today declined a new low cab !! Story goes that they have asked for new Daf’s to replace the old ones but the waiting list is to long and ACL don’t want them over three years old. Not many are keen at all on the Mercs, the one i tried was ok (i’ve driven lots of them before), cab was great etc. only thing i wasn’t keen on is that paddle gear box. And i’m still baffled as to how an electronic switch can ‘miss a gear’ or not engage and you end up with it sounding like a machine gun !

Mike-C:

mark h:

Mike-C:

They’ve been saying that since christmas. In reality they done a check the other weekto see who did and didn’t have digi tachos, and we’ve had some Merc demonstrators. It looks like we have some coming in next week, supposed to be low cabs for the day men and the tall ones for the trampers. One of the trampers today declined a new low cab !! Story goes that they have asked for new Daf’s to replace the old ones but the waiting list is to long and ACL don’t want them over three years old. Not many are keen at all on the Mercs, the one i tried was ok (i’ve driven lots of them before), cab was great etc. only thing i wasn’t keen on is that paddle gear box. And i’m still baffled as to how an electronic switch can ‘miss a gear’ or not engage and you end up with it sounding like a machine gun !

mostly trying to rush the change you got to be gentle with them :wink:

small mercs for the tramper’s :open_mouth:

Mike-C:

mark h:

Mike-C:

dont no wether u noticed today i had an ACL box behind me an my wagon is a v reg the newest wagons we av got r the 2 OOCL 03plate volvo globetrotters our oldest 2 are a Rreg scania with grove wharf painted on it, and now gettin painted is a P reg scania topline 460 V8 which wil b mine i think

i actually do like the mercs, my dad drives a 03 plate actros now but he is gettin the new 1 he works for p&o ferrymasters an i have driven it and i like the gearbox in them as in another post the key is to b patient with them !

jj72:
for a start that price for the scania is only list price - nobody in their right mind would be paying list price, even with supply like it is

second thing is residual values, take a look what 5 year old scanias are fetching compared with comparable spec 5 year old mercs :open_mouth:

last and least, the scania is SEEN as more reliable, more prestige, not really a fleet motor, so the 13-for-10 doesn’t come into it

jj72-youre talkin outa your ■■■■■■ son. Theyre both list but im usually proved wrong. You’ll find a 5 year old merc a few thou behind a scania not 20.
and finally whats seen isnt always believed if you think 13 trucks cant earn more than 10 scarnias then you need sleep.

fair comment ed :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

How the hell Scania can charge 90k for a highline beats me. Eddie has just bought a load and none of the drivers i’ve spoke to like them. All you got for storage is one drawer and a crappy shelf above the windsceen. You gotta build your own bunk aswell for chirssakes! No, give me my Merc any day.

Just a thought, if it’s 90k for a highline, how much is it for a topline?

Mike-C:

Mike do you run for Occonors ? I keep looking out for yer I was in northwest a lot last week for mi sins.

thecoder0:

Mike-C:

Mike do you run for Occonors ? I keep looking out for yer I was in northwest a lot last week for mi sins.

Not OConnors. JMD, white Dafs.

Mike-C:
i’m still baffled as to how an electronic switch can ‘miss a gear’ or not engage and you end up with it sounding like a machine gun !

gonzothejaffa1:
mostly trying to rush the change you got to be gentle with them :wink:

agreed … a bit like wimmin` …coz you have to be gentle with em to get the best result

gonzothejaffa1:
small mercs for the tramper’s :open_mouth:

they must have vertically challenged trampers

ellies dad:

jj72:

jj72-youre talkin outa your [zb] son. Theyre both list but im usually proved wrong. You’ll find a 5 year old merc a few thou behind a scania not 20.
and finally whats seen isnt always believed if you think 13 trucks cant earn more than 10 scarnias then you need sleep.

what the chuff are you on about? don’t get all defensive just cos you bought a recycled u-boat :laughing:

i didn’t mention 5k or 20k did i? nor 13 trucks not earning more than 10, although 10 proper wagons would probably do more earning mileage than 13 mercs due to down time of the latter :unamused:

jj72:

so how come prestons of potto run almost an entire fleet of 16 litre V8,s

chaversdad:

jj72:

Reed Boardall and Stillers aswell.

I reckon you ask the Paddys theres quite a mixture. Nolans was Mercs & Mans and Now are on Dafs.

So is Scania over priced I agree there a good tool but I wouldnt mind a crack @ the Actros 1861 v8.

chaversdad:

i didn’t think they did - seem to see more 420s than owt else on there, but not an expert on their fleet

and the point was i said not SEEN as a fleet motor like mercs, dafs etc are

And i’m still baffled as to how an electronic switch can ‘miss a gear’ or not engage and you end up with it sounding like a machine gun !

As others have said, the change can be a little tardy, (infact i find the newer “Telligent” boxes slower than the older ones) it misses engaging the gear simply because you haven’t kept the clutch pressed down for long enough. Don’t touch the selector, just declutch again and it will immediately engage the gear.

Mark H: how many new units are coming to Liverpool? Mercs or DAF’s?

Its us thats getting the units driver one, Mercs we are getting as Dafs arn’t available apparently. I know about the go slow with the gear box, but when i boot it off traffic lights i want it to shift and not ■■■■■ foot about with it like an Eaton twin split. Save all them boxes for the SAFED drivers , i just wanna move and pronto !!!

well you cant rush those 'telligent boxes, but ther again they’re quicker than the fully automatics.

Suggest when moving off from standstill if laden, start in 2 high, then straight to 4 high, 6 low, 7 high. Let the engine do the work. Keep it in the green. She’ll do this on the flat no probs, obviously if climbing at 44 tonne its a different story.

Also ofcourse when waiting at the lights you can select the gear without using the clutch, then just clutch it when you are ready to go.