a little advice please

fell on the edge of trailer on friday afternoon climbing up and really hurt my chest it was still hurting over the weekend and monday the pain was unbearable so finish work at 17.30 and off to casualty i go the nurse tells me ive got a muscular skeletal fracture around my breast bone and advises me not to work.so gets home and rings work to let them no they didnt seem too impressed so i went in on the tuesday morning on my usual run which is newcastle area anyway gets to my first drop and its blowing a gale so opens curtains trying not to use my left side to much tipswhat i needed to and trys to close curtains up as i gets hold of pole theres a huge gust of wind which takes me off the floor and pulling my left arm straight upwards .and thats it cnt move it without being in huge pain so ive had to knock sick today the problem is im only just out of my probation period last thursday they set me on so my question is can they sack me for being on sick with a work related injury ?it just looks really bad dosent it they set me on and i knock sick

It all comes under the heading “Fit for work”. In this day and age you can be sacked for being on the sick, however you should have filled in an accident report with your employers and had the incident recorded in an accident book, all manner of things to consider - were you climbing where there are steps for you to do so? Were you using a ladder? And so the list goes on - if you have not filed an accident report I should do it as soon as possible, see what happens after that.

If you have filled in all the relevant paperwork for your injury and it can be attributed to a fault in some way by the company then you may have a claim against the company INSURER for wages and compo.

update lads boss just rung me and asked how i was told her and she said fine not to worry when do you think ul b bck so i said friday and she said ok cool see you then so i was worried for nowt thanks for replies geezers :smiley:

Sounds like a cracked rib and they hurt for about 6 months just when you are not expecting it, don’t cough or laugh loudly :laughing:

yeh its more in my chest but it does hurt if i cough sneeze laugh or take a really deep breath :frowning:

hyper26:
yeh its more in my chest but it does hurt if i cough sneeze laugh or take a really deep breath :frowning:

try not to breathe to heavily whilst enjoying after work activities with your boss :laughing: seems you have a real close relationship :wink:

I broke two ribs in February and it only this last week that i havent had any pain. Ribs and chest injuries can take upto 8 weeks to heal, and by the sounds of it Friday might be a bit optomistic :cry:

Trust me, they can take a lot longer to heal than you think… My accident was in June and I still have pain from the ribs and chest, but I did quite a number on it all, and there were a couple of depression fractures which never really heal.

I fractured my breastbone about 7 years ago and it took a while to get better. The worst for that was about 3 weeks. To begin with, just lifting my arms to shoulder height was painful, but it healed fairly well and fairly fast. Just don’t try acrobatics for a while and do listen to your body. If it starts to hurt when you do something then stop doing it.

remember that bu using the other side of your body trying to protect the other side you’ll put more strain on the injured side you need to rest

Very true, Ade. I am sure they put the nurse call button on my right side where all the damage was to stop me trying to escape, and I had to try to turn my entire body to the right to press it which was abject misery…
There is little more irritating and plainly uncomfortable than chest injuries… It hurts to breathe, to laugh, to cough et al, and sneezing is completely out of the question.
Ibuprofen and paracetemol will help, and you can take both at the same time. If they prescribe codydemol or cocodemol then remember they are dangerously potent… I think codydemol is the same as Tylenol 3 which has codeine in it (Elvis’ drug of choice) and that is nasty stuff, although it works well.
If you can do it, get yourself xrayed to ensure there is no other damage. Ribs are spring loaded really, their design is such that they flex rather than break as a rule, so if you have broken ribs or breastbone then it means the impact was extreme.