Some Advice Needed Please

On friday 3.9.10 i started work at my usual time. Arrived at my first drop at about 6am & started to open curtains. I had 3 pallets at the back on the nearside. I was trying to unhook the rear bar but as the curtains had been done quite tight at the front it was very stiff. Not wanting to break the front security seal so i could undo the front mecanism i tried pulling on the bar but in doing so i felt a severe pain in my left side of my chest & under arm. Was in so much pain i rang my boss & had to return to base & went home. After visiting my doctors i was told no driving for a week maybe 2 so im stuck at home this week & maybe next week.

My question is…i no i will probably get sick pay but will lose the first 3 days as this is what happened to me the last time i was signed off work. Would it be an idea to ring one of these no win no fee type companies or would i be waisting my time■■? Just wanted some advice really.

Thanks in advance

tyler4164:
On friday 3.9.10 i started work at my usual time. Arrived at my first drop at about 6am & started to open curtains. I had 3 pallets at the back on the nearside. I was trying to unhook the rear bar but as the curtains had been done quite tight at the front it was very stiff. Not wanting to break the front security seal so i could undo the front mecanism i tried pulling on the bar but in doing so i felt a severe pain in my left side of my chest & under arm. Was in so much pain i rang my boss & had to return to base & went home. After visiting my doctors i was told no driving for a week maybe 2 so im stuck at home this week & maybe next week.

My question is…i no i will probably get sick pay but will lose the first 3 days as this is what happened to me the last time i was signed off work. Would it be an idea to ring one of these no win no fee type companies or would i be waisting my time■■? Just wanted some advice really.

Thanks in advance

i thought works accidents were paid from dat one, going back a few years ago but if we pulled a muscle playing football wed claim wed done it a t work and get paid from day 1, few years ago so id guess its changed.
as for no win no fee we went to solicitor about car, nothing to do with injuries, by the time wed finished thers now claims going in for girlfreind and daughter,whiplash and girlfreinds back :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,said at worst theyll get a grand each, go for it

Did it go in accident book if not then no you cant claim

If you employed they pay you sick from day 1 even if just SSP or was like this 3 years ago when I went on sick

[/quote]
i thought works accidents were paid from dat one, going back a few years ago but if we pulled a muscle playing football wed claim wed done it a t work and get paid from day 1, few years ago so id guess its changed.
as for no win no fee we went to solicitor about car, nothing to do with injuries, by the time wed finished thers now claims going in for girlfreind and daughter,whiplash and girlfreinds back :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,said at worst theyll get a grand each, go for it
[/quote]
Basically sums up exactly whats wrong with this country.Most people seem to think theyre entitled to something for nothing.When insurance costs kill the remaining businesses and put people out of work they will be the first to complain.

But if it is a works accident & it dont go in the Accident book you cant claim anything

And the reason we have to put up with all this elf n safety crap all the time - people like you who want to make a quick buck out of your own stupidity.

Gridley51:

[/quote]
Basically sums up exactly whats wrong with this country.Most people seem to think theyre entitled to something for nothing.When insurance costs kill the remaining businesses and put people out of work they will be the first to complain.
[/quote]
we didnt think we were entitled to anything, the accident was a month ago, no claims had been put in, the solicitor who we saw on a totally different aspex of the accident was the one who asked if wed claimed for injuries and if not why.
as for moaning about ins, they screw my 19 yr old girl out of nearly every penny she earns to pay for her car insurance premium so i could give a flying ■■■■ about insurance companies, even if nobody claimed for injuries theyd still be taking every penny off her under the pretext shes a young driver, leeches the lot of them

tyler4164:
Not wanting to break the front security seal so i could undo the front mecanism

Am I missing something here? As you were opening the curtain anyway what benefit was there to leaving the front seal intact? The only way you were going to open that easily was to release the front so sorry but it looks to me like you [zb]ed up so best to chalk it down to experience and move on.

Coffeeholic:

tyler4164:

Am I missing something here? As you were opening the curtain anyway what benefit was there to leaving the front seal intact? The only way you were going to open that easily was to release the front so sorry but it looks to me like you [zb]ed up so best to chalk it down to experience and move on.

This reminds me of the Austrians who sealed every box with string and a needle or made drivers put numbered seals on every buckle.

Many trailers require all the buckles opening and both ratchets releasing, how else can you tension it afterwards?

Wheel Nut:

Coffeeholic:

tyler4164:

This reminds me of the Austrians who sealed every box with string and a needle or made drivers put numbered seals on every buckle.

Many trailers require all the buckles opening and both ratchets releasing, how else can you tension it afterwards?

Indeed, that’s why I don’t understand the logic behind leaving the front seal intact when the trailer is being opened anyway. Even if you do open it successfully and without injury how the heck are you going to close it properly afterwards?

Just want to get a few things straight, my company always goes on about health & safety & drivers have been told not to over tighten curtains at the front for this very reason. Yes i know what i should of done but thought i would try & release it without doig that so i don’t need to be told what i already know. I was told the last time i was off sick that you don’t get paid for the first 3 days & didn’t see why i should lose money as it was done at work.

Yes it was put in the accident book.

Been working at this company for over 2yrs now & in that time they have never done me any real favours. I’ve been disscaplined for quite a few different things such as changing a red airline, changing a bulb even though i got myself back on the road & completed my drops. Been put on a last warning for kicking off about other drivers not fueling the truck up when they finish a run even though that is company policy. Thats just a few of the things. They seem to go on about health & safety & tell us what we’re not meant to do but expect us to do get the jobs done whatever it takes even if it means breaking a few rules here & there. I feel like im treated like a number & not a driver!! So why should i be made to feel like i’m scum because ive mentioned putting in a claim.

I’m not after a quick buck either just what i feel i’m intitled to

tyler4164:
I’m not after a quick buck either just what i feel i’m intitled to

Exactly what are you entitled to■■? Some lessons in how to open the curtains properly?? It seems to me that you just want to get your own back on this firm because of the way you fell you have been treated in the past.

Might I refer you to this thread so as to ascertain my attitude to the compensation merchants in this world

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23135&hilit=grapes

To most firms you are just a number. And at the end of the day if the company policy is that you dont do something and then you do it you will get disciplined. I think it’s stupid to tell a driver he can’t change a bulb and then pay callouts to get it done. But if the rules were “thoust shalt not change thous’ own bulbs/airlines” then you don’t do it. You just need to chalk this one down to experience mate, live and learn, but it does seem a bit daft not wanting to break the front seal when the curtain was being opened :confused:

Just under 2 yrs ago I was picking up some drop boxes with a wagon + drag unit, they were parked pretty close together, raised the air to see the fit, looked like the twist locks had gone in nicely (night time, poor lighting, boxes very close causing shadowing and lack of movement space).

So, air lifted, starts lifting the legs, get’s to the back right 1 and it’s touching the box next to it, so I grabs it to pull it towards me so not to damage my back, this is when it decided it wanted to sit better on the twist lock, landing fully on the laces of my steelies - unprotected part for those not in the know.

A nice trip to hospital told me nothing was broken, a weekend of R+R and alcohol medicine and I was back in work - although in extreme pain everytime I used the clutch - on the Monday night.

Should I have claimed? answers on a post card please. Oh, and is this more serious than a pain in chest and is it also caused by stupidity / laziness - I now pull the truck out with the suspensions raised and slam on brakes to make sure they’re sat on twist locks properly and I’ve got room to manouver.

The best way to get some money would be to take some painkillers and go back to work.

pda-uk.org/healthmatters/rea … kpain.html

A quick read of that I was told there is nothing wrong with me :bulb: :unamused: I do work as if I dont I get no money simple