A few Questions

A few questions for y 'all

What is a Diff lock and where/when would you use one?
Why do some wagons have a pram wheel lift axle?
Why dont all units have twin steer,so you dont rip the ■■■■ out of the lift axle tyre when reversing?(merc especially as you can even lift it up at all when slightly loaded) :unamused:
why do some units have a wider rim wheel on the steer axle?
Do Scania do a R series with a longer cab(not bull nose)as I saw an 06 one the other day with a cab which looked about a foot longer than normal?
Why do drivers moan like ■■■■ about everything? :laughing:

Im sure I’ll think of some more

Diff lock is as it says, it locks your diff. Meaning the wheels turn together instead od one slipping. Best used off road on slippy terrain, or if you’ve parked halgf on a soft verge, the wheels on the verge will slip, engage diff lock the ones on the road will then pull you off the verge. A 4 X 4 isn’t really a 4X4 without a diff lock.

Don’t knoiw what you mean by pram wheel

Drivers moan because it’s paryt of the job discription :laughing: :laughing:

A diff lock locks the differential, and therefore both wheels, of a driven axle together. You would use it anywhere you cannot get traction at low speed. Switch it off ASAP though. It makes going round corners tricky!

A pram wheel lift axle is smaller, and thus lighter than a normal size one.

Scania do a long version of the R Series. I think called a Longline. Inventive eh?!

Drivers moan because they have been out of a ‘regular’ job so long, they don’t realise how cushty they’ve got it!!

{crash helmet on and running for the exit} :laughing:

David5l:
Don’t know what you mean by pram wheel

A lot of petrol tankers have em

A diff lock, locks the drive axle wheels together, so both sides are driving at the same speed, it is used when you have lost traction and are starting to spin the wheels, because once you have lost drive to one wheel and it spins the nature of the design of a diff menas all the power will take the path off least resistance and be sent through the spinning wheel, by locking the diff together you get equal power to both sides so in thoery you will not get stuck,

You must turn the diff lock off when back on a good surface or you will do a large amount of damage to the differential

By pram wheel i am guessing you are talking about the smaller wheel used on some lift axles? Basically it is to save weight, if you look at one close up it will have a strange shapped axle behind the wheels too, this is so when its lifted it does not foul on the propshaft, I think a “lightweight” tractor unit compared to a “standard” lift axle unit the difference is about 500kg,

Scania do four, well five lengths of cabs ,

Day Cab - no bunk
Short Cab - no bunk but increased storage behind seats
Sleeper cab - Bunk (same length be it a topline,highline etc etc)
Crew cab - Two rows of seats (fire engines)

and in limited numbers

Longline - an extended sleeper cab, but it is significantly longer than a normal sleeper, it is the same chassis as a T cab, so if you imagine a bonneted truck with a normal cab on, but the rear wall of the cab is still in the same palce as it would be on a T cab, so in effect nearly a double length cab.

Can’t answer the question about drivers moaning about everything, as i dont know :smiley:

flying_fenman:
Drivers moan because they have been out of a ‘regular’ job so long, they don’t realise how cushty they’ve got it!!

{crash helmet on and running for the exit} :laughing:

PMSL I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

bikemonkey:

Why dont all units have twin steer,so you dont rip the [zb] out of the lift axle tyre when reversing?(merc especially as you can even lift it up at all when slightly loaded) :unamused:

I assume you mean Mercs can’t not can. But you can (on the Actros at least) - there is a lift button that only allows you to drive up to a set speed (about 15mph) then drops it back down again. This works with full weight on the drive and lift axles. The button is next to the normal lift one. Perfect for reversing or getting going on a slippery surface with not much weight on.

gardun:

bikemonkey:

Why dont all units have twin steer,so you dont rip the [zb] out of the lift axle tyre when reversing?(merc especially as you can even lift it up at all when slightly loaded) :unamused:

I assume you mean Mercs can’t not can. But you can (on the Actros at least) - there is a lift button that only allows you to drive up to a set speed (about 15mph) then drops it back down again. This works with full weight on the drive and lift axles. The button is next to the normal lift one. Perfect for reversing or getting going on a slippery surface with not much weight on.

I wont seem to on mine :confused: on my old MAN you could and you can go round with the axle up all the time at 44T on a Volvo

So if this is a Longline…

…What’s this then?

Not much use as a rigid. :laughing:

8wheels:
…What’s this then?

Well apart from the colour it looks like a duck. :wink: :smiley:

It’s seriously wrong:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

8wheels

Blue truck is a factory built Longline, the red one is a custom built one,

bikemonkey

All trucks don’t have twin steer becuase some manufacturers don’t do a twin steer and some say it is for weight saving as you don’t have two lots of steering items weighing the truck down, I agree though a non steering mid lift axle is pointless and only going to scrub your tyres out faster

Axles have to drop by law as soon as a certain weight is achieved then it should drop automatically, most trucks have a weight transfer switch which will allow a temporary transfer of weight on to the drive axle so you can get traction to set off on a slippery surface.

A wider rim is put on the front as you can increase the axle weights so with a wider tyre and rim on the front you can load that axle a bit more with out going over your max axle weight on your plate, however it does involve you filling in a piece of paper and getting your plates changed

Cheers Discopete,you know your stuff :smiley: