Winter driving noob questions

Can the lift axle be lifted whilst in motion or must the vehicle be stopped until axle lifts?

Same question about diff lock?

Thank you for your patience

Vehicle can be in motion for both.

But with the diff lock, don’t try to turn corners…
Also, I thought you had to be stationary for the difflock to engage?

Cheers guys

The Sarge:
But with the diff lock, don’t try to turn corners…
Also, I thought you had to be stationary for the difflock to engage?

Sorry I thought he meant about disengaging it,

if your dropping your tag its best to be stationary if u drop it when at speed you can damage the tyres or so i have been told

BluBeard:
Can the lift axle be lifted whilst in motion or must the vehicle be stopped until axle lifts?

IME, if something cannot be done . . . then it will not be done once the buttons been pressed. Untill you press the button, you’ll never know.

My ex-Scania would happily raise & lower it’s lift axle on command at any speed so long as the weights were OK.

My current DAF won’t engage the diff lock unless you ask it very nicely &/or buy it a cream cake.

Chas:

BluBeard:

IME, if something cannot be done . . . then it will not be done once the buttons been pressed. Untill you press the button, you’ll never know.

My ex-Scania would happily raise & lower it’s lift axle on command at any speed so long as the weights were OK.

My current DAF won’t engage the diff lock unless you ask it very nicely &/or buy it a cream cake.

I’m sorry mate but that is total ■■■■■■■■.

Everyone knows DAF’s prefer Dutch Apple Cake. :wink:

The question about diff locks can be dependent on the vehicle I believe. I’m not 100% sure myself so would suggest you check with the manufacturer. Some I’m led to believe the diff can be engaged and disengaged on the move but not others. Disengage the diff as soon as you no longer need it. Lifting an axle on the move can result in the tops of the mudguards wearing through as the spinning wheel might make contact with it. You might find you have another switch which will dump air from one of the axles temporarily to allow a bit more grip for better traction. I will try and find a pic of this one for you.

I would say yes to the diff to be engaged whilst moving (at a slower speed of course) as just going back to the farm on my tractor days, as another comment said just dont try and turn the corner :laughing: ,
As for the lift axle not sure on that :confused: