Tipper Diff Lock Question

I wonder if anyone can shed any light for certain on this. Basically, on a 2015 8x4 Daf tipper, do you have to stopped and in neutral to engage the diff locks. I have been turning them on while moving slowly in drive before hitting the rough stuff and it’s worked fine for me. Have I just been lucky that I haven’t damaged anything? Or is what I’m doing fine? I know I mustn’t engage them while the wheels are actually slipping. A definitive answer from a more experienced driver would be much appreciated. BIG thanks in advance for replying

Always stop when engaging and disengaging then move slowly and gently until the warning light shows its worked ,my brother and I learnt this when we were driving a 38 tonner aged 16 shot the diff lock turning a corner before a hill and broke a centre pin we ended up have to change a drive axle spring between us :unamused:

It would seem, I’ve been lucky then!! Thanks for the reply

It was always the case that you could engage diff locks on the move, including cross axle locks so long as the wheels were turning at the same speed, but do not engage when a wheel is spinning or on any sort of bend.

I’ve been doing it like this for ever, has this changed now?

The only proviso far as i can see would be on a vehicle fitted with a diff lock but one that rarely gets used, i would always stop and make sure that was engaged properly in case it failed to engage immediately and then did once a wheel was spinning.

I have always engaged them on the move before you get in the mire and heading in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
I have always engaged them on the move before you get in the mire and heading in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, never damaged a rear axle in 20+ years of driving tippers but engaged it before wheelspin started.

Pete.

Be wary of those rocker switch-operated diff locks; I’ve driven Foden Alphas and Daf CFs where you switch off the diff locks, the lights go out and you get the slight hissing noise but one of the diff locks are still stuck on.

You can engage both diff locks plus inter axle lock while moving at a low speed without damage to the diffs. As said, make sure you are straight if possible and the wheels are not spinning out or anything and you can drive with locks on up to about 40mph before damage will begin to occur but I think most trucks these days turn them off automatically when you hit a certain speed if you forget. Also be aware of your bigger turning circle while locks are engaged! I don’t think the inter axle lock does any damage if kept engaged as the 2 drive axels are constantly moving at the same speed and only locks the drive axles into sync from front to back where as diff locks sync wheel to wheel and the speed between wheels does change when cornering. I usually keep my inter axle lock engaged throughout winter but can possibly cause an issue in the rain or snow when going down hill and changing gears so be aware of that too as if one axle skids then both axles will spin if the inter axle is engaged

I always engage on the move, no issues so long as the wheels are turning at the same speed

Well as they say, if in doubt. . . Stop! Just remember the diff a bunch of cogs and gears and need to be in sync to move. As long as all the wheels are stopped or moving at the same speed in a straight line then all the cogs and gears (wheel half shafts going to diff) will all engage in harmony and good times will follow lol. Sounds like an orchestra performing but I guess same principle to some degree

Some excellent and sound advice given. Most helpful and I’m very grateful for it.

Well I guess that’s what we come here for hey. . . That and some abuse, ■■■■ taking, bragging, ■■■■■■■■ and complaining etc. . . :laughing: