A Day out with Dad.

Well hello folks, It’s been a while since I’ve done a bit of a photo diary hopefully this will be more successful than my purfleet diary. :laughing: :blush: I have to say it was a better trip as it was with Dad today and I got the chance to get out the cab more to get some more snaps!! And I see there are more diaries from drivers but never from the passengers that go along so this is the view from the passenger seat and well what it’s like for me when I go on the road with Dad and probably how it is for any other truck nut out there like myself!! :smiley: :smiley:

So I started the night before getting my things ready, Boots, clothes, jacket, gloves etc. I have to admit every time I go in the truck with my Dad I never get a good nights sleep before because in all fairness I’m too excited to sleep and I can’t wait to get in the truck :laughing: But it was an easy 6am start so it wasn’t too difficult getting up for 5 :smiley:

So on the way to the yard the excitement builds up more and more, with nothing but the sound of the car engine breaking the silence between me and dad as I won’t be the first to admit my dad isn’t the happiest person first thing on a morning :laughing: But as we near the yard I’m near bursting with excitement and eventually we get to the yard and I’m surrounded by red trucks with the exception of one white premium sat on it’s lonesome.

This was the first of our trusty steeds today to get the jobs done, as two trailers needed loading for two drivers and dad got the trailers loaded for the drivers :smiley:

So we set off and we don’t even get out of Knottingley before we get into a spot of bother. Something was wrong with the trailer so we pulled over so Dad could see what the problem was and he soon got it sorted. I didn’t notice until we were parked up that there was a bit of a crack on the windscreen. :open_mouth:

So trailer problem sorted and me and Dad are soon back on the road again and seeing many wonderful sights along the way and I’ve got to say there’s something nice about seeing the morning mist raise up on the open fields :smiley: :smiley: It’s always a nice sight to see!!

We got to this bridge and I was a bit shocked at how narrow the bridge was to get over but it wasn’t that bad.

Then I thought things couldn’t get any worse :unamused: :unamused: And I thought very wrong :smiling_imp: As I was getting the pictures I was bouncing round the ■■■■■■■ cab with this road, he was telling me the road gets wider but it doesn’t get any better! I thought he was kidding but I soon found out he wasn’t!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Then we got to this farm bit where we was there to load turf and there was 2 other prestons motors. I thought both were topliners until I took a second look and thought it looked like a right dodgy topliner!! It was because it wasn’t a topline it was a highline I never knew prestons had any highline scanias apart from the rental ones they get when they’re waiting for trucks to be returned or delivered :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Then me and dad went further down the farm to where we stopped at a sign that said something along the lines of don’t go beyond this sign without permission. So me and dad waited for a bit then he threw me some gloves and said open that side up and I’ll do this side. So I got out and undid the fastenings on the curtains and loosened up the front end of the curtains where dad came round and started instructing me on how to open up the curtains, I always say there’s no better teacher than your parents as you learn something new for free and I generally catch on to what my dad says. So I got the curtain opened up pretty well for the first go. Got back into the cab and waited for a bit then the driver of the other prestons topline came down and spoke with dad and they went to find the owner of the place I think where dad said to ‘sit there while I go talk to the owner’ so perfect opportunity to get some snaps :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I thought I would try get some shots of the scenery as well not just the trucks :smiley: :smiley:

I then decided to show off a little bit and do some macro photography and get some close up shots. Boring to you lot probably but I thought I’d give it ago :laughing: :laughing:

We then ended up going back to where we started at the farm where dad offered my help without my approval like all parents bloody do :laughing: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :smiling_imp: :laughing: :smiling_imp: I was told to help the driver of the topline to fasten the curtains, the driver shouted over ‘You have to fasten up the curtains the ‘stobart’ way you know!!’ So I just got on with it, fastening the curtains up nice and tight the ‘stobart’ way :laughing: then I was told to do the other side :imp: Typical! :laughing: So I did the other side and then camera came out yet again and the photos continue to be taken, I thought I would try get both the toplines together as I thought it would look cool but what do I know :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

I found out where you que in line to marry Katie price as you can see no ■■■■ was waiting :smiley: :smiley:

Anyway dad got the truck parked up ready to be loaded and we started getting loaded with turf so I thought I’d get some shots of the loading of the truck.

I was then told to close the curtain up as I did then as I was about to fasten up the curtain this bloke comes in, first thoughts ‘Cracking motor that, shame I can’t get a bloody picture of that yet!’

Then he came back round like dad did, as I was fastening the curtains I kept looking over thinking ‘am I going to get a picture, stay there for god sake until I finish this’ Then he thought it would be a good idea to come flying in to turn it round kicking up dust all over the ■■■■■■■ place! :unamused: I got a couple pictures of the motor as it does look tidy but it was a bit unnecessary :unamused: :unamused:

On our way back to the yard anyway to pick up the second unit to load a trailer full of coke bottles for weighbridge for the other driver. I got a couple pictures of the monster trucks that was in the yard just up the road from the turf farm. :smiley:

Here’s that bloody bridge again :smiley: :laughing:

Eventually we get back to the yard in good time, hard to believe that we got back for about 9:00 so great timing considering we didn’t have to be in wakefield until 11:00 so we had time to take it easy for a little while.

I didn’t get any pictures on the way to or back from wakefield as I was too busy enjoying the scenery, there was a bit of a smash just heading into Coca Cola involving a morrisons lorry and a little ford Ka. But I got plenty of pictures when I was in the yard. The second steed of the day was a 10 plate topliner. So I got the best of both worlds, an old and newish Scania trip out. The newer scania seemed to pull a lot better than the older one, not sure if it would have anything to do with the newer scania having the opti cruise box and the other one being a manual box. But either way it was a nice trip out :smiley: :smiley:

We got parked up in the yard for 12:20 and emptied the truck putting dads bag in the back of the car and having a few things in the office to take care of :slight_smile: So as dad was taking care of all the boring stuff I got on with taking a few more pictures :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The trailer on the right looks a bit wonky :open_mouth:

Here’s the old DAF that’s still being used on shunting work :slight_smile:

After my dad was finished with what he needed to do in the office, we got in the car and took off home. And now I am waiting for my tea and waiting for college tomorrow where nobody will be non the wiser of what my weekend consisted of and the places i’ve been too unless I tell them. And that’s just how I like it as it always makes for a good conversation. Even better when you have pictures to back up your statements.

I hope you all enjoyed this diary, and I hope it isn’t too boring for you all!! :smiley: :smiley: I thought I would just share my experiences of my day out with my dad as it is getting rarer and rarer that I get to go with my dad and well I thought if this is going to be the last time then I may as well get some snaps and share with everyone my experiences. But until next time that’s all folks!! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Looks like you had a good day out, does your old mans gov not mine you going out for a ride?

really good jon i enjoyed that, ive tried a few times to get on at prestons knottingley depot but never managed it.

Saaamon:
Looks like you had a good day out, does your old mans gov not mine you going out for a ride?

Was a fantastic day out to be honest :smiley: and my dad had an operation on his stomach which put an end to his tramping career, and sometimes needs a hand so if anyone asks I’m helping my dad :smiley: :smiley:

jessicas dad:
really good jon i enjoyed that, ive tried a few times to get on at prestons knottingley depot but never managed it.

I think they’re looking for trampers at the moment I’m not positive but I have heard from my dad they’ve been looking for trampers.

Cheers

i used to go with my dad every weekend and every school holiday going, although now i have a job it is very rare i get a chance to go with him, unless i book a week off work, infact i think i might sometime soon :smiley:
these are a few i took the last time i went with him for a week out, first pic took just after loading on a farm and the last two are for jonnytruckfest which were taken on the road to kelso to load .

I’d say do it mate. From personal experience I’ll never know when it will be my last time I get the chance to go with him. So I took the opportunity to do what I do best :smiley: I decided to take my camera, record it down. Get the pictures on file and when I get to college tomorrow I’ll get them printed off ready to go in my new sketchbook.

And there’s no feeling like going with your dad in the lorry, just gutted I never got the chance to do that this year with my granddad. And I never will due to him taking early retirement. Plus it makes for good reading too!! Some cracking pictures there as well :grimacing: :smiley: They always make for great memories, and greater stories. :smiley:

Cheers

Well done Jonny. Great pics and a good story… Nothing like getting up early and seeing the sun come up with no one else around!

Keep up the good work. :smiley:

Can’t argue with that!! The only thing I would change is to get up earlier as I love being on the road when it’s empty and little to no traffic. :smiley:

I was determined to get this story right and I’m glad I’ve got it to a tee!! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Cheers

Some excellent pics mate, the early morning ones are great, it’s what i love best about an early start.

If you think that bridge is tight then get a load of this one we have to contend with:

youtube.com/watch?v=2GVCxri8 … ideo_title from 1:00

Please, all, also feel free to subscribe.

good read, but maybe tone down the comments on other drivers as your dad may have some explaining to do if he meets the nobhead again.

glenman:
good read, but maybe tone down the comments on other drivers as your dad may have some explaining to do if he meets the nobhead again.

Lol just read the comment, quite funny really about the driver kicking the dust up, he probably wasn’t being the ■■■■■■ you thought he was.

Cheers mate, :slight_smile:

I know it’s not as tight as most bridges. But when you’re going through it at a fair rate it is a bit worrying incase something goes bang.

And I doubt the richardson driver will be saying anything, he knew he was in the wrong to begin with. I don’t mind drivers who have a bit of a moan and grumble, but when you’re belting round a motor purposely to kick up as much dirt and dust as possible to someone else. It’s stupid and it makes him look like an idiot. And I called him a nob for it. Nothing personal but I call it how I see it :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny. :sunglasses:

Edit - I have edited the post so nobody gets offended by my comments on the Scania driver :unamused: :unamused: :slight_smile:

jonnytruckfest:
And there’s no feeling like going with your dad in the lorry

Cheers

I remember that feeling well. Used to go as often as I could. Even to the point that when he was doing night runs down to Smithfield Market from West Wales I’d go home have my tea he’d then pick me up, I’d go with him overnight then be in school next day.

But of course it was the European work I enjoyed most. I skipped school or phoned in sick at work to go to both Sweden and Italy!

My last trip was with him just after I passed my test at 21 double manning to Germany.

Although we still do trips together, we ran together to funnily enough Germany again couple of months ago, except we had a truck each, he works for Virginia too.

Here we both are in Belgium.

Sorry I’ve hijacked your thread a little! It’s nice to see young lads who felt like I did and 'twas a good read. Keep it up.

jonnytruckfest:

I know it’s not as tight as most bridges. But when you’re going through it at a fair rate it is a bit worrying incase something goes bang.

And I doubt the richardson driver will be saying anything, he knew he was in the wrong to begin with. I don’t mind drivers who have a bit of a moan and grumble, but when you’re belting round a motor purposely to kick up as much dirt and dust as possible to someone else. It’s stupid and it makes him look like an idiot. And I called him a nob for it. Nothing personal but I call it how I see it :slight_smile:

Cheers

Edit - I have edited the post so nobody gets offended by my comments on the Scania driver :unamused: :unamused: :slight_smile:

maybe need another edit then :confused: maybe the scania driver wouldnt read it in the original post but… :confused:

Not a problem Luke!! :smiley: :smiley:
It’s always good to here from other drivers. It’s nice to remind others of old memories, I find that these sort of diaries keep the mind flowing and it’s always nice to hear other peoples memories.

I often share my first time I went in a truck with my dad, it’s nice to remember and other ‘firsts’ like I remember the first ‘proper’ night out I had with my dad. We had a white highline hire unit as my dad started back with Prestons due to me nudging him that way as he was either going with Keedwell or Prestons. I wanted him to go to prestons because I preffer the colour scheme. It’s that simple really :laughing:

But the first night out I had, we ended up parked next to a rugby ground I think either rugby or football. And we ended up going down to the chip shop get some food and come back eat the food and watch some tv. And at about 9:30 we saw this drunk walking across the road, and he thought it would be a good idea to start a fight with a sign. :laughing: :laughing: Then proceeded to go to the pub across from it, having a ■■■■ up against the pub wall then went into the pub for more ale :open_mouth:

I still remember most of it, I can’t remember exactly where it was we stopped. But it was an amazing experience, I was at college the next day as well you couldn’t shut me up about it. Unfortunately i’ve never had the luxury of doing the euro work with my dad but the scotch work is close enough :smiley: I can only hope that one day I get to run with my dad on the road. That would be ‘one of the things to do before I die’! :smiley:

Oh and from one of your videos on youtube, I agree on the cans of starbucks. Better caffeine fix than red bull and it tastes better as well!! :smiley: Bloody expensive though!

Glad you enjoyed it mate. :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

glenman:

jonnytruckfest:

Cheers

maybe need another edit then :confused: maybe the scania driver wouldnt read it in the original post but… :confused:

Not going to edit it, I’ll admit i went ott on my original comments. But them comments are fair. it’s not overly harsh. He was a nob for what he did. And nobody can deny it. You could say I was a nob for saying what I did, I probably wouldn’t dis-agree. But I wouldn’t expect someone to take it back. I’d take it on the chin and move on.

Cheers

ok nobby. :sunglasses:

glenman:
ok nobby. :sunglasses:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sam Millar:
Some excellent pics mate, the early morning ones are great, it’s what i love best about an early start.

If you think that bridge is tight then get a load of this one we have to contend with:

youtube.com/watch?v=2GVCxri8 … ideo_title from 1:00

Please, all, also feel free to subscribe.

Adrishaig, lovely little place, we used to load logs there, about 1250 ton a time.
but loads of room on that bridge

Nice diary Jonny

great diary mate. i was the same as you when i was younger i couldnt sleep before going on trips with my dad