A Day out with Dad.

Great read that.Nothing beats a day out in the lorry with your dad.I know what u mean about how the excitement builds up when your looking forward to it.Had many an early rise when i was a kid to go with my dad.Glad to see it wasnt just me who could hardly sleep the night before a day with him. :smiley:

Great diary , and. Some great pictures glad you enjoyed your self !

Nice pic of Katie.

Great read mate, I was the same as you, am nearly 24 and last went with my dad in march this year, now av came off the spanners and am full time driving class1 I regulary pass him now and meet up for breakfast/dinner together he doesn’t do tramping like me he said he has left that to me :d, I wud stil go out for the day with him if I get the chance I just have to persuade him to come out with me for the day now haha, anyways mate keep up the pics and enjoy your days with your dad I know I certainly did and I followed in his footsteps ! Good luck for the future

Good read, but no matter how tight you think something is at the time, there will always be a an even more tighter bridge or place to get into. You’ll see :grimacing:

Great job jonny, a few of them pics are zbing excellent

Thank you all for the positive feedback :smiley: :smiley: ! I’m glad I’m not the only one who could never sleep the night before going with dad!! I can only hope I get into this industry early enough to have a run with dad even if it is just a short trip, I have a feeling that would feel a million times better then actually being with your dad in the truck! But that’s my opinion I suppose :grimacing:

I think it’s just the excitement because you never get to go with your dad all the time, and you never get to see him as often as you like. And getting to see what your dad does it’s just a feeling to me thats indescribable. I wonder if I’m the only person who when being told to sat on the bunk you sit on the passenger side just so you can see everything your dad’s doing and thinking 'that will be me one day :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I’m glad you all liked the pictures :smiley: I’ve tried to get my work into Truck & Driver but was unfortunate so hopefully if anyone from T&D comes onto here and see’s some of my pics and maybe this diary they will see a place for it in the mag :smiley: I’ve already had some of my pictures in the Classic Commercial in this months issue, it’s only half a page but it’s a bloody great achievement when I’m the first in my college to get my work into a magazine :smiley: :smiley: I suppose I’m just wrapped up in my own little world in how the haulage industry should be, and how it was when I was growing up. And no matter how ■■■■ it gets, whenever I go with dad all them thoughts go out the window and the love for the industry gets stronger. I am a sad ■■■■ I know :laughing: :laughing: But nobody can deny my love for the industry :smiley: :smiley:

I’m just glad to see this diary has sparked a few memories. It’s great to hear the memories from other people. :smiley: It makes for great reading!

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Excellent, really enjoyed that, keep up the good work

well done jonny , great topic , really good read as well , nice to see a days work through the eyes of someone who doesnt usually do the job , not a hint of doom & gloom !

like you dad & others on here i’m lucky enough to take my son’s with me as well ,they don’t live with me so when they’s on school holidays i have to stay at work , they wouldn’t like it if i took holiday at the same time !
one growing out of it ,the other like you, looks forward to the silly o’clock starts , & when he’s with me he gets stuck in like you do .

you did the curtains ? hope he paid you a decent hourly rate :laughing:

Thanks for taking time to post that was a really well done piece of work , nice photos. :smiley:

Thats exactly how me and my brother are. My brother doesn’t have time for trucks unlike me who can’t wait to start driving them for a living :laughing: :laughing:

The only pay I get for doing the curtains is a kick up the arse if I don’t do it and told to not to be bloody lazy :laughing: :laughing: But I do it anyway because in all fairness I enjoy the work, I’ve not met a side of this industry I don’t like yet regarding the work :smiley: :grimacing: And the only doom and gloom I have is when the day has to end and I’m back at college the next like today. :laughing: :grimacing:

&& ReeferBoy thank you for taking the time to read and comment this topic!! :grimacing: :grimacing: I’m glad you enjoyed it. I just hope it won’t be the last time I get to do a bit of a diary like this :smiley:

Cheers

Good stuff jonny, nice to see some enthusiasm for the industry, you remind me of ,well me as a lad, waggon daft :laughing: . Great shots too, agree with the early mornings best part of the day.

Reading that johnny brought back a lot of memories for me,great to think that I wasn’t the only one to not sleep very well the night before i went with my dad,I was like you,I loved every minute of it.
Also fair play to Prestons for letting you accompany your dad,there’s not a lot of firms allow that now,wished they would though as your probably not the only lorry drivers son who likes going with his old man,personally I loved it and wouldn’t have missed it for the world,ask my old man and he’d say he wished he hadn’t as that was where the rot got started lol!!!
I’m glad to hear that I wasnt the only one who used to play the “wag” from school and have fantasy illnesses to go with my dad eh Luke■■? :laughing:

Crikey I never thought this thread would have so much attention. Not complaining though!! :smiley: :smiley:

Like i’ve said and I’ll keep saying. It’s great to see that people read this and they get memories from when they was a young un. I have to say jase I think my dad will agree with your dad, wishing he never took me in the lorry as that’s what got me started. It nearly got my older bro started but he wasn’t keen on them as I was and my dads admitted himself he knew it would either be me or my older bro who would want in on this industry. Well I want in asap! :smiley: Over the years I’ve tried to over shoot the ‘get something behind you first’ comments but there’s just no over shooting them!! Thats when the photography started and I got another interest outside of haulage but I could incorporate it into the industry. I have to admit even if I am blowing my own trumpet here I’ve surprised myself with the quality of some of these pictures!! The first time out with your dad in the lorry I don’t think anybody would ever forget that if they are as truck mad as me. I still remember most of the day on my first trip…well when I was awake of course I did have to make sure the bunk was in good working order!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But I’m glad this diary turned out better than my last one. It was a great day, the weather was good for once!! And I got to do a bit of grafting which is odd considering I actually love the grafting I had to do! It’s just great to see that I’ve put my brain into action and it’s turned out better than I thought :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for all the comments guys :grimacing: :grimacing:

Only one thing to say now is Truck photographer for hire!!! :laughing: :laughing: Glad you lot enjoyed it !! I might see if I can get a trip out with my uncle I bet that would make for a good diary :smiley: :smiley: Who knows!! But I have many ideas for the future. Hopefully some can come to the horizon :smiley:

Cheers

I think I was about 3 when i started going out with my dad in his lorry - every holiday I was out. I pretty much learnt to read via road signs and maps and saw things other kids would never have seen.

This thread has put a smile on my face.

Nice read and some really good pictures.
You sound like a decent Lad, your Parents should be proud of you, especially in this day and age when all kids wanna do is play on PS3 and Xboxes.

A great diary Johnny! Nice pictures aswell! Keep it up! :sunglasses:

Lucky lad!!I was brought upin1949-1953 in the Schoolhouse on Ferrybridge crossroads in the days before dual carriageway,watching the lorries up and down the old A1,ticking off the BRS fleet numbers inn the Ian Allan BRS spotters book.There was actually a cafe in Ferrybridge square called Bowers,don’t know if they did digs as I was only 9or10.
Unfortunately my Dad had me destined for an academic career,it was 1965 before I finally got to go on the road,first as a Leeds bus driver then driving a single axle 20’fridge trailer on a Seddon 13/4 unit(driving test,out with fitter,round Cross Green back to yard) then 4drops Birmingham!!Own account ice cream manufacturers driving country-wide and Northern Ireland on "C"licence,no back loads…No windscreen washers,poor heater,day cab but no pressure, in digs every night early.
Other jobs followed,never any problems then,leave a job in the morning,new job in the afternon.Multi drops,roping and sheeting until 1987 when I started Europe withDragon Ice,Swansea latterly I started on tankers withBRT-later Samat until redundancy and early retirement through illness in 2004.Legs stopped working then so am content driving my adapted car.
I enjoyed all my driving career but glad to be away from it now,dig-card,vosa,illmanners,selfish attitudes,timed deliveries,managers with media studies degrees,Iwould probably be unemployable now!!!
Make the most of your hobby,make it your career and good luck

Well I don’t think my Dad regrets taking me with him at all. I’m happy and that’s all my parents ever wanted. I’ve two brothers and we all have HGV’s. My 20 year old brother just passed his C test. He’s a mechanic though, that runs in the family too my Dad was a mechanic before a driver. My brother just got his licence to drive his bosses rally cars around. Lucky chap is having his C+E paid for too. My other brother drives for a living. He used to work for Virginia as well. At one point me, dad and him worked here together. Me and Dad have followed each other from job to job since he got me my first truck driving job at Nolans.

So no I don’t reckon he’d think it a mistake. We’re like best friends and I speak to him most days.

Must admit though my parents are very enthusiastic about me studying law!

Firstly I would like to say I’m glad this thread made you smile Albion! I know at least my deed for the day has been done :smiley: The main reason I posted this was so everyone could share my experiences as it isn’t often I get to go with my dad and I thought this would spark some old memories, and I see my plan has worked!! :smiley: It’s great to see just some of the great stories of other members with memories. I like the same but instead of road signs I learnt to read by looking through the truck mags. I remember getting up extra early on a morning when I was about 6 or 7 and watch all the trucks go by my house listening to the humming of a ■■■■■■■ engine from an ERF and the roar of the CAT from the fodens. I use to make a game of saying what truck would be coming next by listening to the sound, most times I have to say I won :grimacing:

I was always the lad who went to school and spoke about what my dad does and where he went last week and if I went with him I use to talk about the places i’ve been and people never believed you when you told them, but you didn’t care because you knew deep down they were jealous of you going places. I have to say thanks to this industry I’ve seen more places than I would ever have done if I was just your average joe. I always wanted to share with everyone where I’ve been, the experiences I’ve had and I never found a release for all the thoughts and information. Then last year I got into college and it was like a trigger went off in my head and that’s when the creative side blasted out thinking of new and exciting ideas to capture the haulage industry and also educating people on it as well with the information I know as well as getting information from other drivers.

This diary was to just kick off my mind again for another year of imagination and thought and to see if I still had the creativity to make this diary. Most of my work I have tried to make meaningful to me and usually I find if I like it most others do too :smiley: I promised my Dad I would get something behind me first before I get behind the wheel of a truck as I understand why. That’s why I’m at college now and not in work getting money to pay for my tests etc, because in all fairness I can start anytime in this industry and work to my hopes and dreams but if I’m smart about it and get some good grades behind me first I won’t be stuck for options.

Steve I have to admit I like to spend time on my Xbox as it helps me unwind and it’s good to pass the time. But in all fairness my idea of a good time is to sit in a yard with a camera in hand getting pictures and thinking of new and different ways to capture a picture. That’s why there’s pictures of the same truck on a lot of my work threads as I try show different ways I tried getting a picture of the truck. I hope my parents are proud of the work I do, although my dad seemed to like my first two pages of my sketchbook and it put a smile on his face I must say!! :smiley: :smiley: Although I must say I bloody detested that SA :smiling_imp: :imp: :laughing:

Phil I have to say that’s what I always tell everyone, If you enjoy something why not just do it as a career? If you enjoy something and it’s your job you’ll never have to work a day in your life. That’s my view on the haulage industry in general in my opinion as well as when I do my photography. It’s never work I put in, it’s just something I love to do and never need asking to do it :smiley: :grimacing: But I have to agree on me being lucky, Lifes not been easy but I’ve learnt to enjoy what cards i’ve been dealt and I have to say I wouldn’t swap any of it no matter how annoyed I get at times :smiley: :smiley:

And Luke my parents were the exact same when they found out I applied to do accounting, certainly made them wonder why the bloody hell I want to drive a truck for a living but for once I’m doing subjects I enjoy by choice not by necessity. Good things always happen to those who wait, that’s what I like to think anyway :grimacing: :grimacing:

And I hope to get more pictures soon so, there should be another diary on the cards I think :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers