7.5 Ton work

I have spotted an ad in my local press today for a 7.5 ton driver. I sent them a quick email saying I had no experience but was looking at getting into haulage work. Imagine my surpise when they replied asking me to give em a ring to arrange an interview!

The job is £6.30 an hour, delivering to South/North,West Yorks and Lincs areas… 40 - 55 hours a week,sounds ok to me.

IF I get the job maybe it will give me much needed experience before I start my Cat C training when my licence comes back, and also give me a foot hold into the workings of the haulage industry.

great stuff. hope your interview goes well.
good luck mate.

Good Luck :smiley:

Good luck with the job; I think it’s a good route to take with regard to progressing in your vocational driving career.

Totally unrelated question; were you born on Boxing Day?? :question: :bulb:

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ll post again as soon as I know what the score with the job is.

I think too its a good route to gaining the experience I’ll need later on. I’ll be ok driving 7.5 tonners too as I have held my PCV for 14 years, so the size and weight will be no problem.

And in reply to your question Marcus Tandy…I was born on Boxing Day

Gave the TM a ring today at 9.30, had my interview at 11.00. It all went well I reckon.

Explained that I had no experience at this sort of work, but I’ve got loads of driving experience…he seemed happy enough with that.

The job involves doing delivery contracts for TNT, DFS and Primark and a couple of others in the North East, Lincs and North/South/East Yorks areas, plus a few home deliveries thrown in for good measure.

£6.30p/h rising to £6.80p/h, decent enough wage considering I have no experience at all in this field.

He says he’ll consider me for the job and will give me a ring in the next week or so if I’ve been sucessful so fingers crossed!

wish you well with it paul

try a few agencies as well, not sure if its the same by you but there’s a shortage of 7.5 ton drivers here in the midlands

always good for a bit of exp - plenty of local stuff doing home deliveries - comet / argos / etc etc good for a bit of variety

Thanks for that vernonbish, I have been thinking of contacting a few agencies. Maybe I’ll ring a few up tomorow, see what’s on offer.

Driving a 7.5 ton truck is great training for cat c. Not the weight, of course, but manouvering a large vehicle - perfect practice whilst being paid.

I should be ok with the manouvering Loggo, been driving buses and coaches for 14 years, but not done it now for almost 2 years so I’ll probably need a bit of practice!

After saying that, we never reversed onto tight loading bays and delivered to shops on the buses, bus stations were very easy, drive in, drop off and out again, easy stuff!

I can’t wait to get back into driving, and I think 7.5 tonners would be a great start before I get the Cat C & C+E.

Had my Cat C application returned today by the DVLA. Apparently a birth certificate is not proof of identity these days? So they have wasted 3 weeks in sending my application back!

Anyway, I have sent it off once again today with 3 other forms of ID for them, all with my NI number on them, lets see if thats enough for them.

Incidently, I got my young son’s teacher to verify my photo for me, and still they needed absolute proof of identity, the DVLA are VERY keen these days eh?

A quick update on the 7.5 ton job. Turns out an old mate of mine already works there! I had no idea, last I knew he was fitting gas heating for a living! Small world eh? Anyway, he’s gonna put me a good word in with the boss, so maybe I’ll have some good news after my holiday in sunny Skeggy next week.

On another subject, emailed an agency asking if they took new drivers on. On Tuesday this week got a call from them wanting me to work for them, typical I haven’t got my class 2 yet…oh well at least its one for the future.

Should have taken the job, got some experience and cash for the training. :laughing:

I will take it, if its offered 8wheels. Still waiting to hear from them.

I’ll accept it if offered just to get away from my job with the police, I hate it that much! I’ll lose quite a bit of cash too, but hey, its only money. I’d rather be happy ay work…

I got the job!

Start tomorrow morning at 6am. I’m told I’ll be doing a TNT multidrop contract in the Derby area, about 10 hours a day.

Been to L+T today too for a theory and hazard practice session, passed them both. Theory test is booked for next weds at 08.30am at Sheffield, will post my results after its been taken.

my Boss at DHL did the same thing, left a £24k job in CID to work for DHL, he hated it too.

I guess working inthe Police is like Marmite.

Yeah,being a roadie these days is not all its cracked up to be… :laughing: