6 wheelers on europe

just reading the thread on iveco stralis’ and it got me wondering,
j.gooch said he has a 6 x 2 and does europe all the time but i don’t see why?
the weight limit is 40t so no benefit there in fact the extra axle means the tare weight is higher,
the cheaper fuel in europe means extra big tanks would be more advantageous also.
so my question to those of you who own trucks is simple, why 6 wheelers for those who do europe?

I suppose one answer would be more choice , if european is slow or doesnt work out you can go straight onto 44tonne UK work , and eventually if europe catches up and goes to 44 tonne then you are a jump ahead :smiley:

We do a lot of euro and all are 6x2, it’s a pain as back loads are usually made up for 4x2, a couple of times I have been unable to top fuel up as no spare weight left. They get used nights and weekends when back so are flexible. I do believe we are having a couple of low ride units and trailers Which I think will be 4x2 as I’ve never noticed a 6x2 lorries.

Using a 4 wheeler in France is fine, until you come back to the UK and find you are over on the pin by 3 tonne :stuck_out_tongue:

They are allowed 13 tonne on the drive axle, so many French companies load the trailers like that, right up to the headboard.

Wheel Nut:
Using a 4 wheeler in France is fine, until you come back to the UK and find you are over on the pin by 3 tonne :stuck_out_tongue:

They are allowed 13 tonne on the drive axle, so many French companies load the trailers like that, right up to the headboard.

up to the driver to make sure its loaded properly then :wink:

I have onboard weight thing on dash menu shows me mid and drive axle weights, it did tell me trailer weight as well but hasn’t worked since I had new floor in cab, it is 10 months old now so no suprise, hope fully the new ones will have it. The others are 450 and havnt got it, either that or the thick drivers ain’t found it.

5th wheel heights are usually higher on 6x2 as well so struggle to keep a trailer under 4 metre height.

welshboyinspain:

Wheel Nut:

up to the driver to make sure its loaded properly then :wink:

It is, but I said many French companies load trailers like that, meaning that if you pick a loaded trailer up as we often did, you can find it is nose heavy.

to clarify,when stralis was first bought I was working for a dutch firm on groupage. 12-13 drops ending up heavy on front. then same picking up. Always heavy on front.Now on new contract with the dutch again , but this time totaly differant type of work hence new truck will be 4x2 with BIG tanks. hope that explains it.

I ran a 6x2 F12 abroad for years, no pin problems going into H or RO, dunno what your meaning over fuel Welshboy as it carried 1400lts with another 1200 under the tilt. Used to try & load at least 10t on the step in the winter months for traction & never had any bother, 4x2 can be a bit of bother on groupage as stated, my last 4x2 FH was always overloaded on the pin with Greek or Italian groupage loads. I had an FH16 with just over a 1000lts on it & it was one of them gay mid lift contraptions :laughing:

fly sheet:
I ran a 6x2 F12 abroad for years, no pin problems going into H or RO, dunno what your meaning over fuel Welshboy as it carried 1400lts with another 1200 under the tilt. Used to try & load at least 10t on the step in the winter months for traction & never had any bother, 4x2 can be a bit of bother on groupage as stated, my last 4x2 FH was always overloaded on the pin with Greek or Italian groupage loads. I had an FH16 with just over a 1000lts on it & it was one of them gay mid lift contraptions :laughing:

I don’t agree over fifth wheel height either my current 6x2 is 1100mm & so was my last one which was on steel & both of these have done plenty continental work too.

fly sheet:
it was one of them gay mid lift contraptions :laughing:

“Lord protect us” :wink:

Ross.

bigr250:

fly sheet:
it was one of them gay mid lift contraptions :laughing:

“Lord protect us” :wink:

Ross.

You toy finished yet Chap■■?

fly sheet:

If only!!! A few ‘directions’ to choose, new ‘V’ stay or repair kit, new drag link or polymer inject the worn ends on the old one? a front re-line & hope the rear brake adjusters are all free, fit the rear wings, front spray supression & a pair of headlights & a few side markers et voila!! ready for test:)

The problem is, as soon as the garage starts to look quiet, we get a rush of breakdowns and no time to do anything to my litte sweetie. :frowning: :frowning:

Ross.

j.gooch:
to clarify,when stralis was first bought I was working for a dutch firm on groupage. 12-13 drops ending up heavy on front. then same picking up. Always heavy on front.Now on new contract with the dutch again , but this time totaly differant type of work hence new truck will be 4x2 with BIG tanks. hope that explains it.

good man, getting a proper truck :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

fly sheet:

:open_mouth: 6x2 plus 1400lt fuel plus tilt with belly tank :open_mouth: what was your tare weight? over 17t :laughing:

we have 6x2 volvo 1000l derv doing NL / B no probs at 44t 28t load :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Daf Man 480:
we have 6x2 volvo 1000l derv doing NL / B no probs at 44t :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

well suited to the job then as NL and B you can run higher weights and you’re not doing much distance to need so much fuel,
i still can’t understand though why there are plenty of 6 wheelers doing long distance 40t work, just seems a bit pointless,
but as i’m just a steering wheel jockey what would i know :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:

fly sheet:

:open_mouth: 6x2 plus 1400lt fuel plus tilt with belly tank :open_mouth: what was your tare weight? over 17t :laughing:

17t :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I wish my F12 plus tilt with fuel was 21t & my FH16 with psk/tilt & fuel was 20t. Never had an axle load with either but always had to take the train through Australia :open_mouth:

bigr250:

fly sheet:

If only!!! A few ‘directions’ to choose, new ‘V’ stay or repair kit, new drag link or polymer inject the worn ends on the old one? a front re-line & hope the rear brake adjusters are all free, fit the rear wings, front spray supression & a pair of headlights & a few side markers et voila!! ready for test:)

The problem is, as soon as the garage starts to look quiet, we get a rush of breakdowns and no time to do anything to my litte sweetie. :frowning: :frowning:

Ross.

V stay complete unless you’ve a good eye & a decent press, I have done a few of them & as you probably know you need em bang on to go in. I had a drag link done that way once & had no bother with it at all, guy turned up & did it in an hour. Are them adjusters the worm drive ones or am I thinking FH?? I’m sure a good weekend would see it finished. you ought to get your finger out then we can see the pictures!!!