4 mtr high debate

4 mtr high trailers , would it mean more work for the haulier or just a pain ■■?
Government has European allies to fight against 4m trailer height proposals
Christopher Walton
Thursday 20 January 2011 09:12
The government is fighting “tooth and nail” and has “absolutely no intention” of introducing an EU proposal to restrict all new-build semi-trailers to 4m in height.In a parliamentary debate yesterday, Transport Minister Mike Penning told MPs that other countries in the EU with “substantial voting clout” were indicating that they were not happy with the proposals.

“The measure would have a fundamental effect on the British haulage industry,” he said. “Other countries in Europe already have a 4m limit; like Austria, for example. No vehicle entering that country can have a height of more than 4m, which is absolutely fine. The people of Austria have every right to decide that, but they do not have any right to tell us, in this country, what the height of our vehicles should be.”

Penning also hinted that the Department for Transport was “carefully considering” proposals to extend the length of vehicles as he believed it would make a difference to the number of CVs using the roads in the UK.

He argued that limiting trailer heights would have a similarly detrimental effect on congestion

just a pain !!!

would take a deck off most livestock wagons !!

I think you use tr’ls over 4 meters on work that needs it and the rest of us use 4 meter trl’s. I was useing 4 meter trls last year and i didn’t have any trouble i will be getting them in again

not all of Europe sticks to 4m rule
you can run high in France

Am I right in thinking that having twice as much carried in one trailer is going to be more fuel efficient than having it pulled by two lorries?

I often do a run for a kent based company for my agency running 16’2" trailers from Kent to Norfolk for a major food manufacture carring 52 pallets.
There are on ave. 6 runs a day, thats 42 per week, thats 2184 a year. With 4mtr trailer limits that one contract would put an extra 2184 trucks a year on the road!!!
Good for keeping us drivers in work, but not so good for the ‘Environment’
And thats just one example!

Lets get out of the EU now and run our country for ourselves

The govenment are talking sense - for a change.