Government pledges to fight EC trailer plans

Well i first heard of this news on here from some obscure article but in recent weeks ive been hearing a lot more. It doesn’t seem to be going away either :confused: I find it worrying that our government will have to ‘‘fight’’ to stop this proposal from happening on our own island. Tell them to ■■■■ off and we’ll fight them on the beaches :laughing:

The Department for Transport (DfT) says it will fight the European Commission (EC) over any proposals for 4m-high trailers in the UK, following an outpouring of concern from operators and manufacturers.

Transport minister Mike Penning told CM this week that he would “negotiate strongly” with the EC on behalf of the road transport industry, following its proposal to standardise all new-build semi-trailer heights to 4m.

CM reported last week that a proposal had been sent to all trailer manufacturers in the UK by the DfT providing details that the EC was looking at restricting all semi-trailers built under Whole Vehicle Type Approval to 4m in height.

Manufacturers said that such a proposal, if it became law, would spell the end of high-roof and multi-deck trailers, while pallet networks and operators told sister title Motor Transport that the proposal would increase the volume of trucks on the road, carbon emissions and costs.

In response to both articles, Penning says he shares the industry’s concerns over the proposal: "Any such proposal seems to go beyond the EC’s remit to simplify existing legislation. We, and other [EU] member states, have made this point to the EC, which now has an opportunity to reconsider.

“Let me assure manufacturers and trailer operators that the government will negotiate strongly to achieve the best outcome for the UK,” he stresses.

“In the meantime, we have asked UK industry for evidence on the potential impacts of the proposal to ensure that our interests are fully represented in negotiations.”

The minister’s comments have been welcomed by the trade associations. Andy Mair, head of engineering policy at the Freight Transport Association, says the DfT has given it a “sympathetic ear” in its submissions to the negotiations. “The DfT is looking for industry feedback before 18 October. It is looking for more evidence. We are working with some of our supermarket members, who are using double-deck trailers, as they would be significantly affected by this. We hope that the EC will take another look,” he adds.

Nick Deal, manager of logistics development at the Road Haulage Association, says: “To double [parcel carrier network fleets] would add massive costs, time, carbon, traffic and staff. These vehicles, like the pallet networks, are generally fully utilised in terms of space with, perhaps, 1,000 small consignments onboard one trailer.”

4 meters (13’1) is ridiculous it wont only affect deckers it will affect a lot more companies, most of the trailers at my company are 13’6-14’1 to reduce to 13’1 would affect cube fill greatly. Lower pallets would mean more pallets which would mean more lorries are these people daft :confused:

merc0447:
Lower pallets would mean more pallets which would mean more lorries…

And more jobs. Maybe not so daft. :wink:

Speaking as a non-owner of any tall trailers, and a hopeful new driver - what exactly is wrong with more lorries?

DougR:
Speaking as a non-owner of any tall trailers, and a hopeful new driver - what exactly is wrong with more lorries?

The UK roads can’t sustain them, our green belt couldn’t sustain the extra trailer parks that would be required. Companies cant afford major investment in trailers, new premises.

I get the creating jobs idea, but this isn’t about creating jobs. This is about uniformity of the whole of europe when quite clearly trying to fit the UK into a size small when it is a x-large isn’t going to work.

Yes, as stated, more lorries mean more jobs.

Incidentally, the reason our motorway network has much higher clearances than the rest of Europe is because it was designed in part to allow the USA to move nuclear weapons around during the Cold War, or so I once read.

the roads will be a lot safer when it’s windy.
i find it ridiculous that companies send 16’ high trailers out in 40mph winds. it’s just greed.

we are supposed to be trading with all EU countries on equal terms. that’s why we have tachographs. so it’s only right to have the same maximum load space rules in all member states. Fuel duty should be the same as well.

4M standard is good for drivers but not for bosses. Now all you need is to put on the length what you lose from the top. Cube it out & you have maybe a 50’ trailer ?

Harry Monk:
Yes, as stated, more lorries mean more jobs.

Incidentally, the reason our motorway network has much higher clearances than the rest of Europe is because it was designed in part to allow the USA to move nuclear weapons around during the Cold War, or so I once read.

Harry you quoted that before - the height of bridges (road under rail bridges) was first set by Parliament in the 1930’s

To put the arguement that truck sizes should be reduced to create more jobs is ridiculous. The idea is to cut traffic and cut pollution. More lorries = more of both which would be bad for us all.

Maybe we should go back to 38 tonnes as well and 24 pallet trailers; that would create even more jobs… Or would it just make rail freight more appealing?

Having spent this week on a job with high trailers can’t say I particulary like them, not nice in high winds and having to detour for low bridges. But if this comes in it will mean more of an advantage for European Trailer makers and hauliers on high volume work as they already make the trailers and the haulage companies have the low ride units to pull them, as I very much doubt the UK haulage industry will get an EU subsidy to replace or modify their now totally obsolete trailers and replace the tractor Units.

Santa:
Maybe we should go back to 38 tonnes as well and 24 pallet trailers; that would create even more jobs…

But wouldn’t that also mean more vehicles and pollution?

How many trailers running about on a daily basis are actually loaded to the roof. You look at a truck being unloaded and it’s not often the pallets go all the way to the ceiling. I only ever pull 4.0 metre trailers and apart from the odd load of loose parcels the load never goes more than a couple of metres high. My load tomorrow will include double stacked pallets and even they will be 30 - 50 cms from the roof. Yeah there will be trailers running with all the height taken advantage of but I would think those that don’t would be the majority.

Coffeeholic:
How many trailers running about on a daily basis are actually loaded to the roof. You look at a truck being unloaded and it’s not often the pallets go all the way to the ceiling. I only ever pull 4.0 metre trailers and apart from the odd load of loose parcels the load never goes more than a couple of metres high. My load tomorrow will include double stacked pallets and even they will be 30 - 50 cms from the roof. Yeah there will be trailers running with all the height taken advantage of but I would think those that don’t would be the majority.

Not the majority it’s true. However; if you had a look in our yard at about 5pm most days, you would see three 14 foot+ groupage trailers loaded to the roof destined for Ireland, and two DD trailers - likewise fully loaded - for the pallet system hub. There will be two or three more Irish trailers waiting in the road and possibly a couple already on their way.

If height was reduced, our yard alone would create four or five more trucks on the road every day. And we are a small business.

it won’t be good news for livestock transport, the double deck cattle/4 deck sheep trailers will go , and there won’t be more jobs it will just not be viable to run around with small loads !

Look out for lots of Scottish sheep producers with no outlets for their lambs :wink:

Harry Monk:

Urban Myth Alert :smiley:

As this is Britain it just sort of happend.

My uncle was involved just before and during WW2 with road plans in the London area. The bridge height they came up with was based on requirements from London Transport, the Fire Brigade and heavy haulage companies. I believe LT and the FB wanted a minimum of 15’ 6" for double deckers and ladders on appliances (the ones with the big wooden wheels). Heavy/abnormal were looking towards 20’.
This was the same for all the major cities and it was decided at government level to set minimum heights on all new bridges nationwide to try and satisfy all needs but at the same time keeping costs to a minimum.
I think I’m right in saying that these were only guidelines and only applied to strategic economic trunk roads.
As there still is no maximum height for vehicles in the UK, transport companies have just pushed to the limit with their trailers.

The proposed limits stand no chance. There will be too many objections and exemptions for it to ever take place.

limeyphil:
we are supposed to be trading with all EU countries on equal terms. that’s why we have tachographs. so it’s only right to have the same maximum load space rules in all member states. Fuel duty should be the same as well.

The rest of Europe should increase their maximum height and fuel duty!

merc0447:
4 meters (13’1) is ridiculous

If the height is only 13’1 in EUland then how do they transport shipping containers?

Rob K:

merc0447:

If the height is only 13’1 in EUland then how do they transport shipping containers?

I suppose a standard shipping container was designed to fit that gauge on the appropriate skelly, although in Holland it seems every motorway bridge has lumps missing out of the front of it and scrape marks running beneath the length of it where folk have got it wrong.

Rob K:

merc0447:

Goose-neck trailers?

Rob K:

merc0447:

On low ride skelly trailers, where the bottom of the container is about 2 inches above the drive tyres :exclamation:

We have a wagon + drag curtainsider which is 16’ 4" high, I refused to take it out, never mind bridges it hits trees, telephone wires etc. I know these should be a minimum of 16’ 6" but the dam thing is just too ridiculous, you could never turn down a strange road with it.

Rob K:

merc0447:

Lower trailers. They don’t have extendable skellies in EU. When the Dutch come here with their 40’ boxes they sit on single chassis skellies & are much lower than ours -& safer.