3 times this week

3 times this week, i have moved over to let cars on the A1 and they have drove along side me,resulting me to slow down so i can get back in the nearside lane.
I know we don’t have to move over, but we all do if we can[correct me if im wrong],am i doing right by slowing down or should i drive along side them till they speed up and do me on the inside, which depends on the kind of driver they are.
I thought i was cursed this week as it happened on the same stretch between Newark and Grantham.

It’s their give way. What are you slowing down/moving over for :question:

You should know by now (unless you’re a newbie) that this is what car drivers do.

The way to do it is to have them think for a well-judged length of time that you’re not going to move over. When they’re justtttttt about to brake before their road runs out, you then[/b] pull over a lane to let them out :smiling_imp: You’re already just about past them anyway, so you can return to the nearside lane without them being in the way. That way, although they’ll be cheesed off that you didn’t pull out sooner, you still did pull out so they can’t really grumble :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Works a treat, give it a go :exclamation:
Same goes for wagons hurtling down slip-roads alongside you doing the same limited speed as you. Just as their slip-road is about to run out, you pull into middle lane and once you’ve completed that maneouvre have a look in your nearside mirror and you’ll find that you’re already past them and they’re flashing you back in again :sunglasses: Saves the sitting alongside each other for miles scenario that you see on many dual-carriageways in particular :sunglasses:

Ugh, I hate this too. Whats worse is when you move over a lane to let someone in, but then all the stupid, moronic, suicidal cars coming up behind you now all start to undertake you, so you CAN’T get back in. It really pees me off!

Today I was drivng in some pretty cowded streets and found myself having to pull in a little behind some parked cars to let oncoming traffic through. However, the cars behind me all seemed to think this was their chance to overtake, and were rushing around me, headlong into the oncoming traffic! Causing huge traffic jams! ALL DAY! For gods sake! Do these people think I pull in for FUN?!

Dapper Scavenger:
snip… found myself having to pull in a little behind some parked cars to let oncoming traffic through. However, the cars behind me all seemed to think this was their chance to overtake

Happens all the time in Brum; morons think you’ve pulled in without indicating and it is annoying.
Way round it is to stick your right indicator on when you pull up to let oncoming traffic through.

If a car indicates then I’ll do my best to let them out by moving out a lane. If not then they have to use the hard shoulder or brake. I know this is aggressive driving but thats what I do!

placidcasual, why is it agressive driving?

regards
paul

I only looked at this becuase i thought you were talking about doing something else three times this week :blush:

Perhaps I should slow down and move over and let every ignorant driver out onto the carriageway?

Saw This today typical of moronic car driver

Willi betz lorry in isleworth turning by the fire station fair enough the driver had “missed the turning” in a sense but had realised before he had gone past the turning all he had missed was the entrance to the right turn lane set in the middle of the road to allow all other cars to pass on inside but he is indicationg right and has the front end of unit in the right turn area and the trailer running parellell with the lane and a “i must get there before that dirty stinking lorry mercedes driver” pulls alongside of him (remembering these are left handers) blind to the fact that even though there is this great orange flashing light on the rear and side of the truck stating "I AM TURNING RIGHT " sort of thing and gap comes and Betz driver pulls off to the accompying sound of Mercedes driver on the Horn in defiance of movement .Felt like ripping car door open and screaming at the driver for his gross incompetency in failing to not notice the indicators or the intentions of the truck ffs.

And then working on road side with all signage and cones out as due to road narrowing around work area and BT 17t rigid 89% of the way through the narrow section and a London bus driver in his car tries to slip along side him in the opposite direction
1.resulting in the car entering the coned off area and sending us working in it to move shrply and
2 a nice dent in the side rails of the Bt rigid where the car made impact

What a day

placidcasual, why should you do that?

regards
paul

When cars etc are joining a motorway or dual carriageway I will move out if other traffic allows me to make this manoeuvre without them having to slow down or change direction (and also if I feel like it :wink: ).

What amazes me are those that come down the slip road and don’t even look in their mirrors or glance sideways till they are almost at the end of the slip. The look on their faces when they see me is a picture :astonished: . I swear I’ve seen bonnets almost scraping on the tarmac sometimes.

If only some people realised that at times there are other vehicles on the road as well as themselves.

Laws, RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 &25.
These clearly state the give way to the right rule, both at junctions and on joining a motorway.
On a motorway, the vehicles on the motorway have priority by law, however, if there is room, a well mannered driver will move over a lane to allow joining traffic to join safely.
There was a case detailed in T&D some time back, where the Editor was called as an expert witness, and destroyed the prosecution by stating the above law.
It is the responsibility of the joining driver to attain a speed to safely join a motorway. Any driver who doesn’t is potentially guilty od Driving without due care and attention.

Pat Hasler:
I only looked at this becuase i thought you were talking about doing something else three times this week :blush:

so did i, easter ,christmas and and her birthday (not mine, i need a rest after the other three. :wink:

what does the law state if , as a result of not slowing down or moving a lane to let joining cars onto motorway results in a crash…■■?..i wouldnt like to be the one to test this out… :laughing: :laughing:

Laws, RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 &25.
These clearly state the give way to the right rule, both at junctions and on joining a motorway.

That is the test terry

The trouble is most people are never taught to drive on dual carriageway and certainly not motorways so they just think that you should move for them.

look right look left and look right again was in the cycling proficency test

If you pull over and clip a car in your blindspot on the right then it is your fault.

You could slow down to let them in but that isnt the law. You are on the major road and have right of way

Just look at the M25 and how many left hookers are totaling cars

recently onM6north jct 4 M42 moved to middle lane to let fellow HGV driver on ,and then sat in middle lane whilst fellow “professional driver” matched my speed (limited 55) and proceeded to keep me in the middle lane till Jct 5, :angry: but it happens all the time now, so if you are coming down a slip rd do as the highway code says and match the speed of the traffic already on the motor way because i for one will sit on the limiter in lane one and not move over only to go past slower vehicles,

i used to do the gentlemanley thing pull into lane 2 if i could i stupidley thought this gesture of kindness to other road users would help improve the image of the trucker to joe public. how wrong was i.after a while you get fed up with them undertaking ya or when they do come on they slow down to 56mph leaving you stranded in lane 2 or they race in front of ya and not a thanks in sight .so as youve proberbly guessed i leave em sitting there cuz at the end of the day they should give way to traffic from the right.highway code an all that :laughing: