Paul's monthly rant (November)

Traffic joining motorways and expecting me to change lanes to allow them lazy access to lane 1! Grrrrr!

Why should a lorry with 40 tonnes and 400 BHP that is flat out at 90 KPH change lanes? Why should we move into the middle lane, where the cars live, just to help another driver who cant be bothered to adjust his speed to that of the traffic on the motorway, just like the highway code says so?

This is a bugbear of mine, especially when car drivers amble down the slip road, expecting me to move my big, unagile vehicle into a stream of fast moving taffic, just so they can join the motorway. FFS, most of them have got a 1.5 tonne car with a minimum of 100 BHP. Use your mirrors and use your power to get in front of me or your brakes and drop in behind! Don’t think I’m going to change lanes for you, because I won’t.
And the irony is that car drivers complain when we move out of lane one, because we slow down the traffic in lane two, yet if we don’t jump like a rabbit out of lane one to allow them off the slip road when they haven’t used their mirrors to see what’s already on the motorway, they complain we didn’t let them out.

I have a quick glance in the mirror, if there is traffic about then ill stay put and they can slow down and get in behind me or speed up and safely get out infront.
Always try and help a fellow trucker out tho :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Gurner:
Always try and help a fellow trucker out tho :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, that goes without saying…

paul_eden:
Traffic joining motorways and expecting me to change lanes to allow them lazy access to lane 1! Grrrrr!

Why should a lorry with 40 tonnes and 400 BHP that is flat out at 90 KPH change lanes? Why should we move into the middle lane, where the cars live, just to help another driver who cant be bothered to adjust his speed to that of the traffic on the motorway, just like the highway code says so?

Common courtesy? Seems to be sadly lacking nowadays. OK so you don’t barge your way into L2 but if it’s clear to do so, why not move over? Its far less dangerous than having a lorry join a busy motorway at 40 MPH and it costs you nothing and you’ll usually get thanks for it.

Driving like the way you want above makes us no better than the trogladites in cars and vans.

Conor, I specifically named car drivers in my original post. Vehicles which are in the same boat as me, heavy, slow and with a very low power to weight ratio will get as much help as I can give.
[edited for spelling]

Paul, what do you drive when off duty ? and how many of those car drivers are off duty truck drivers ?

People who drive just cars have no idea how hard it is to stop a truck or the effort involved in accelerating again, if they did they would not just pull out ib front of them.

Pat Hasler:
Paul, what do you drive when off duty ? and how many of those car drivers are off duty truck drivers ?

People who drive just cars have no idea how hard it is to stop a truck or the effort involved in accelerating again, if they did they would not just pull out ib front of them.

I drive a Rover 600 Ti. I often wonder how many car drivers are off duty lorry drivers, but I’d like to think they would be a better class of car driver. I’m not quite sure what you are getting at with those two questions?

I agree, if people understood the physics of moving lorries, I’m sure they’d drive differently around them.

i agree with you paul, and wont move over for cars.

paul

you can tell the of duty drivers there ones who spot the right gap in the traffic and acctully put there foot down or fall in behind you not idiots who do 30 down theACCELERATION LANE and then pullout on to the carrage way about 2 feet from you front bumper still doing 30 expect you brake take avoiding action and when youve lost all you momentum they put there foot down
remeber
WHEN JOINING A MOTORWAY TRAFFIC ON THE MOTORWAY HAS PROIRITY OVER TRAFFIC JOINING THE MOTORWAY the white dotted line means GIVE WAY not you have right of way
hope thats clear good anyquesions on bye then

alix776:
WHEN JOINING A MOTORWAY TRAFFIC ON THE MOTORWAY HAS PROIRITY OVER TRAFFIC JOINING THE MOTORWAY the white dotted line means GIVE WAY not you have right of way
hope thats clear good anyquesions on bye then

Wooooooooooooooo!!! Get you. :laughing: :smiling_imp:
You’re preaching to the converted with that on here mate. :smiley: