3.5t with trailer

just a couple of quick questions , anyone on here run a 3.5t with a trailer ?
iv decided to go small or at least try it out,
after driving artics for 14 years and wanting to become my own owner driver for many years and doing all the sums its just not worth it, and my heart goes out to all the owner drivers who are willing but struggling.
anyway im wanting to know if anybody is making it pay running a 3.5t with a trailer.iv seen loads going around lately. and also i believe a operators licence is not needed is this true ?

thanks for your time
paul

ps i also have a erf ec11 for sale if anybody is interested

I would have thought that a 3.5t with a trailer is now over the 3.5 tonne limit and would require an O licence … any experts :question:

As long as the trailer is under 1020kg unladen you won’t need an O licence but you will need a tacho.

Paul

No O license needed.
Tacho needed but only when towing the trailer.

At what point would an O licence be necessary :question: 7.5 tonnes :question:

ROG:
At what point would an O licence be necessary :question: 7.5 tonnes :question:

over 3.5 tonnes

transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/l … ements.htm

It is also worth knowing that, when towing a trailer behind a vehicle that is around - or slightly below - 3.5 tonnes gross plated weight (e.g Ford Transit/Mercedes Sprinter sized vehicles), if the combined gross plated weights of drawing vehicle and trailer do not exceed 3.5 tonnes or (where there is no gross plated weight) the total unladen weights do not exceed 1,525 kgs, an operators licence will not be required. Please note that any trailer with an unladen weight of less than 1,020 KGs, need not be taken in to account in this calculation.

my toohire transit van 3.5t pulls a twin axle plant trailer which is use carry diggers and dumpers etc…
max gross on trailer if my memory serves me right is 3.0t :bulb: :bulb: and we dont have ‘o’ licence but have to use tacho when towing