O Licence question...

Its a long time ago that I passed my RSA CPC so I am somewhat out of touch with the new up-date rules.
Can someone please tell me: would I need an Operators licence to operate an Iveco 35C11 van ( 3,5 ton gross ) towing a 3 ton trailer. Combination weight 7 tons.
I know I would need a tacho fitted for towing above 3,5 tons ?

hi mate this my help you lots of info for you

gv74

miketdt:
would I need an Operators licence to operate an Iveco 35C11 van ( 3,5 ton gross ) towing a 3 ton trailer. Combination weight 7 tons.

delboytwo:
gv74

From the link above…

HOW DO THESES REQUIREMENTS AFFECT “ARTICS” OR VEHICLES WITH DRAWBAR TRAILERS?- For an articulated vehicle ie tractive unit with a semi-trailer, you need a licence if:

the unladen weight of the tractive unit, plus the gross plated weight of the semi-trailer is more than 3500kg, or

in a case where the semi-trailer is not plated, the combined unladen weight is more than 1525kg.

• For a motor vehicle with draw-bar trailer, you need a licence if:

in the case where both the motor vehicle and the trailer(s) are plated, the total of their gross plated weights is more than 3500kg, or

in any other case, the total unladen weight is more than 1525kg.
    NB A small trailer of not more than 1020kg unladen weight can be ignored for the purposes of adding up total gross weights or unladen weights for drawbar outfits.

ROG:

miketdt:
would I need an Operators licence to operate an Iveco 35C11 van ( 3,5 ton gross ) towing a 3 ton trailer. Combination weight 7 tons.

delboytwo:
gv74

From the link above…

HOW DO THESES REQUIREMENTS AFFECT “ARTICS” OR VEHICLES WITH DRAWBAR TRAILERS?- For an articulated vehicle ie tractive unit with a semi-trailer, you need a licence if:

the unladen weight of the tractive unit, plus the gross plated weight of the semi-trailer is more than 3500kg, or

in a case where the semi-trailer is not plated, the combined unladen weight is more than 1525kg.

• For a motor vehicle with draw-bar trailer, you need a licence if:

in the case where both the motor vehicle and the trailer(s) are plated, the total of their gross plated weights is more than 3500kg, or

in any other case, the total unladen weight is more than 1525kg.
    NB A small trailer of not more than 1020kg unladen weight can be ignored for the purposes of adding up total gross weights or unladen weights for drawbar outfits.

I have often wondered about this legislation as it is written, along with the towing regulations of an unbraked trailer under 750kg. The law is very precise about the weights allowed, (ie, not more than 1020kg or under 750kg) I question the means and methods of enforcing this. I mean, how accurate is a 60’ long 60 tonne capacity plate weighbridge? Certainly not to 20kg tolerance over its whole area :bulb:

Thanks for the replies delboytwo,Rog, and wheelnut. So am I being a bit thick as it isn’t very clear. Does everyone who has a transit with a trailer have an operators licence or not? Or is it OK if the unladen weight of the trailer is less than 1020 kgs? I am confused.

hi mate see if this helps

If you are towing a trailer behind a vehicle that is around - or slightly below - 3.5 tonnes gross plated weight, eg Ford Transit or Mercedes Sprinter-sized vehicles you do not need an operator’s licence provided that:

• the combined gross plated weights of drawing vehicle and trailer do not exceed 3.5 tonnes
  • where there is no gross plated weight, the total unladen weights do not exceed 1,525 kilograms

You don’t need to take into account in this calculation any trailer with an unladen weight below 1,020 kilograms

so if you have a van and a trailer and it does weight van loaded 3500kg trailer say 3000kg and your carring goods for others then you need one

this one in red

means if the van and the trailer are not plated there unladen weight must be a total of said but as we no most vans are plated and trailer to so if the combined gross plated weights is more than3500k you will need one if carrying goods for hire or reward

also check your gross train weight on the van can the van legally pull a 3 ton trailer :wink:

Thanks Delboytwo for spelling that out, as for your question on M.A.M for vans ,some Iveco vans with a 2.8 engine have a 7 ton GTW and one of the Nisson vans do’es. So it would be the same for 110 defender and a 3.5 ton trailer then ?.

miketdt:
Thanks Delboytwo for spelling that out, as for your question on M.A.M for vans ,some Iveco vans with a 2.8 engine have a 7 ton GTW and one of the Nisson vans do’es. So it would be the same for 110 defender and a 3.5 ton trailer then ?.

hi mate a land rover may be able to pull the trailer but check to tow hitch is rated for the weight of the trailer as well just a thought cos i know some my only be rated for 2 tons