Vans and trailers

Being class 1 driver for many years, Im fairly up to date with most legislation guarding hgvs, but have now found myself a little confused over the follow issue`s

A van driver, in a van with mam 3500kg, towing a trialer of 1500kg requires a tacho, so the driver tows the trailer to a destination, removes / drops the trailer, is he/she required to leave the tacho card in, or remove it as he/she is now under 3500kg ■■

If a van and trailer combination is being used above 3500kg, the van need`s an operator license ■■

Sorry if this has been asked before

I’m prepared to be corrected, but as I understand it from when I was on vans and trailers…

You don’t need an operators licence if the trailer is under 1000 kg unladen.

You only need a tacho in whilst pulling a trailer. For eg, 2 vans 1 trailer on a trip, one can pull the trailer to destination (requires tacho) then swap at destination and wouldn’t need tacho on way back, of course the 2nd van would need a tacho on the return journey.

Hth.

As it came under EU regs when towing then when not towing that time would need officially recording as other work

The easiest way to do that is to leave tacho recording and select - out of scope

if the combined weight of the van and trailer exceed GVTW is more than 3500kgs then you need and o’licence

before if the trailer weight less than 1020kgs then all you need ed was a tacho because the van and trailer were classe das to weight, but they closed this loophole and yo uahve to add the 2 weights together for the GVTW

i used to run 2 van and trailers

You don’t need an operators licence if the trailer is under 1000 kg unladen

if the trailer has a gw of 1ton and the van is 3.5t then you need an o’licence as thsi would give you a GTW of 4.5t

burnley-si:

You don’t need an operators licence if the trailer is under 1000 kg unladen

if the trailer has a gw of 1ton and the van is 3.5t then you need an o’licence as thsi would give you a GTW of 4.5t

Fair dos, it was about 8 years ago I drove them.

Conan the Librarian:
I’m prepared to be corrected,

You don’t need an operators licence if the trailer is under 1000 kg unladen.

I shall correct you then :wink:

Thats not correct if for hire & reward-

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … eaflet.pdf

so the same company that operates these vans, operates hgvs on a restricted o-licence , ( not for hire or reward ) would not need a o-license for small van`s, or would a restricted 0-license be required here ?

bardon.flyer:
so the same company that operates these vans, operates hgvs on a restricted o-licence , ( not for hire or reward ) would not need a o-license for small van`s, or would a restricted 0-license be required here ?

Read the link I posted- its down to unladen trailer weight.