27,000 Vacancies!

This arrived thru the post this morning … :open_mouth:

and if you believe that your as daft as the pillocks who sent it to you :wink:

How many cities & major towns are there in the UK?
Now divide that number into 27,000
Does that compute to something reasonable?

Lycanthrope:

Tell me where i said “I Believe:question:

49er:

Lycanthrope:

Tell me where i said “I Believe:question:

I reckon that was meant as a general observation and not specifically targetted at your good self :bulb: :question:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I think the amount of experienced drivers who are sat on the dole literally begging for a job makes it clear that there are not very many jobs available, certainly not 27000. If there were 27000 jobs available we would not be in a recession.

Good news, we are no longer in recession. The 2700 jobs ,well a large number of them are counted several times over. The initials L.E.P. crop up frequently,local employment partnership. put simply the local jobcentre and agencies are chasing vacancies so the same job can be advertised more than a dozen times.

49er:

The fact is that the above is a sales pitch - nothing more, nothing less. Anyone who’s been in this industry long enough - or indeed reads these forums regularly - knows all of this.

But there are always going to be plenty of unsuspecting people (particularly young adults) who’ll be completely taken in, by what is in effect, a complete misrepresentation of this industry, no matter what the state of the economy - £600 per week equates to just over £30000 per annum. When taking the well paid tramping jobs and ADR jobs out, the average wage in the UK is well below £30k for the majority of C+E drivers. Since the WTD kicked in, many companies have gone down the annual salary [no overtime] route. How many Professional Driving jobs - regardless of the pay structure - advertise and pay upwards of £30k a year? Very, very few in the grand scheme of things.

If you’re a category C driver - even with an ADR or decent HIAB position - you’re highly unlikely to be making £600 per week (approx £470 per week after tax). There will definitely be some out there making that kind of money, but I’d hazard an educated guess that most don’t have that size of pay packet.

As for the man or woman contemplating a “New Year, New Career!” in the haulage industry - if you’ve got the money and the time to get that licence now, then you should get it now - courtesy of a decent, honest, training establishment!
As has been said many times on this forum, that licence is a good investment for the future. However you need to do your research (this great site is invaluable!) and be realistic about the prospects for this industry. The UK haulage industry has suffered more than most in this dreadful recession, and as we start the long road to supposed “Recovery”, patience really will be a virtue.

Even the half decent jobs these days get taken within hours of being advertised, by highly experienced drivers!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Makes you wonder where the Mirror got their info from…

I do believe that the Office for National Statistics (or something like that) is the place for official figures