20 years ago

So I’ve been a class 1 for the last 4 years and found the money not too bad for tramping on a 4 on 4 off basis.

Some things I could do without but more positives than negatives and money seems to be ok considering.

How does the job compare from 20 years ago considering the shortage now?

I know I here about the money not moving but what were people on 20 years ago and how did that compare to the cost of living?

Kieran1706:
So I’ve been a class 1 for the last 4 years and found the money not too bad for tramping on a 4 on 4 off basis.

Some things I could do without but more positives than negatives and money seems to be ok considering.

How does the job compare from 20 years ago considering the shortage now?

I know I here about the money not moving but what were people on 20 years ago and how did that compare to the cost of living?

In East Yorkshire, never known for paying well I was on £6.50hr basic 20 years ago but importantly got time and a half after 8hrs every day, time and a half on Saturday, double time on Sunday, triple on bank holidays. That all came to an end by the mid 2000s with the influx of Polish drivers and companies figured out they could pay a flat rate straight through. I rememeber in 2008 being on £9.50/hr on agency when I had to stop driving. I remember that because when I went back to the same place with the same agency in 2013 it was still £9.50/hr.

Average UK salary was £19k so for a basic 40hr week I was on about 70% of the UK average salary.
Average UK salary today is £29600 but for a 40hr week I’m now on £33,600 so on about 13-14% more than the average UK salary.

Started 16 years ago on £7 straight through.
Time and a half Saturday.
£20 quid per night out

According to the ONS, in 2020 the average UK salary was £38,600 for a full-time role and £13,803 for part-time role. This is an increase from their 2019 figures, which placed the average UK wage for a full-time role at £36,611 and part-time at £12,495.

I remember going back to the agency in about 2010 after being employed for 2 years and being told “Sorry, no minimum 8 hours now - you just get paid what you work”. And the rate had fallen 50 pence an hour. Been about the same rate for the last 10 years.

jakethesnake:
According to the ONS, in 2020 the average UK salary was £38,600 for a full-time role and £13,803 for part-time role. This is an increase from their 2019 figures, which placed the average UK wage for a full-time role at £36,611 and part-time at £12,495.

Dig deep in the ONS site and I think you’ll find salaries by industry type too. Averages are useful but…