Pay rates of new jobs

HI all I have been looking at changing jobs etc and maybe you have seen some of my other posts on here ref pay etc and generally the advice is really helpful so here I go again. As I said I am looking at trying to earn a decent wage (as we all are!!) and so was wondering if 450 for 50 hours was any good for class 1 tramping and also extra if I go over the 50 hours obviously with a higher hourly figure for week days Overtime and weekends OT etc.

I am just trying to gauge the feeling on whether thats a decent rate as they say?

Cheers all and safe driving :slight_smile:

Try looking for somewhere that isn’t a transport company, i.e. They are a company that manufactures their own product, and have their own in house transport. I’ve just left tramping away in general haulage a month ago to start with an own account operator, and it’s unbelievably different. Better pay, and much better conditions too!

That works out at £9 an hour straight for those 50 hours, its not great but i’ve seen worse, much depends on area.
Nights out on top? Paid parking? Dinner money? Anything else? Bank Hol working pay if reqd? Weekend enhancements?

If you earned £8 an hour for the first 40 and £11 an hour for the next 10 you’d be on £430 so its slightly better than that.

£9 an hour for 40 would be £360, and if you jumped to £12 for OT that give you £480 for the 50 hours.

You should be aiming for £10+ an hour basic, plus OT from 40 hours.

Be careful how overtime is paid, it wants to be calculated daily, not after 50 hours (which i suspect is the case here), otherwise when you have bank holiday weeks or take a day off you can end up doing premium OT hours, but get them ‘knocked off’ by reduced hours later, if you get my drift.

Be careful too that those basic paid hours (which should be 40, not 50) do not include weekend working, which should always be paid at premium rates, even if it’s counted inclusively when salaries for rota shifts are worked out.

Is it paid straight through or are breaks deducted, if so how much break is deducted per day, some operators deduct the firs 45 mins, and if a second break is required they pay that one, some pay all breaks, some try to deduct for every break…if its paid straight through without deducting breaks, then that effectively gives you three and three quarter hours back.

There, thats clear as mud innit.

Cheers for the info I have just seen someone and they offered 500 a week mon - friday plus also night out money so am considering that as sounds a bit better than 450 for 50 hours.

chris520j:
Cheers for the info I have just seen someone and they offered 500 a week mon - friday plus also night out money so am considering that as sounds a bit better than 450 for 50 hours.

Depends how many hours are really involved, people can be as economical with the truth when selling a job as those selling their services, it won’t be any better if it turns out to be 65+ hours a week and you’re being ‘encouraged’ to book as much POA and break time as you can every time the wheels stop turning, then struggling to get home on a Friday night.

Not saying it will be like that but sometimes it pays to listen to what you’re not being told at an interview as much as what you are being told.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go for.

Reubs766:
Try looking for somewhere that isn’t a transport company, i.e. They are a company that manufactures their own product, and have their own in house transport. I’ve just left tramping away in general haulage a month ago to start with an own account operator, and it’s unbelievably different. Better pay, and much better conditions too!

This is sound advice…

I have changed job not too long ago, I joined a non transport company, moving their plant around for them inhouse, have a FH16 660hp almost imaculate, only my self drives it with the boss covering for when im away on holiday, pay starting at £11.50ph upto 40h then £17.25ph upto 44h then upto £23ph for over 44hrs, best part is the boss likes his truck looking real clean (■■■■’ly Clean), I spend more time cleaning and polishing the truck than I do driving it. but still doing 47hr weeks as I just help out around the yard.

My advice (for what it is worth) is to not look at transport companys look outside the box and at companys moving their own kit, they dont always demand so much of you and dont treat you like a cu nt.

BTW keep away from St’ Gobain ( Jewson, Ashworth, Minster, ect… )

Carl

Edit:

Before people start asking.

I work within Drivers hours the week im driving, then the weeks im not driving its WTD,