A Question

Hi Guys

Been trawling this site for a little while now and one thing i notice is a lot off ppl on here moan for england about there job. Now thats not uncommon i suppose everyone hates having to work.

but this made me think, if you could go back to a time before you started in haulage would you still make the same career choice knowing its going to be how it is today

What do you mean by “how it is today”?

I’ve never met 2x drivers from 2x different outfits who do exactly the same job under the exactly the same conditions.

In the years I’ve been driving, I’ve progressed into a job that suits me & is almost totally stress free. It’s not perfect, but I can compare it with a few earlier jobs & think myself lucky.

Yes, I would. I still like driving trucks, and any job is only as good as your attitude to it, up to a point.

i think that I would need to go back to when I was still at school and work harder to gain some qualifications to pursue another career.
having no qualifications worth anything I think that trucking was probably the best I could aspire to, but having the chances again to start from scratch with qualifications, I would have chosen differently.
Having said that, driving has provided my family and self with a reasonable standard of living and hopefully
a secure retirement and so I have no complaints.

Easy answer no, When I started about 13 years ago I got a job on a tanker got my work on a Friday for following week and left to get on with it for about £24000 plus £100 a week night out money so £29000.When I left 8 years later with night out money I was on about £34000.
Move on to now about the same basic no night out money though choice as when I started. Now tracked all the time and questioned about everything by some kid who knows nothing about the job but has got the piece of paper saying he has passed an exam. You take loads to places that order things but when you get there they make you wait half a day to unload.
When on the road you have got the law and vosa wanting money out of us and now the government with dcpc
Would not tell anyone to do this job.

I’d be living in South Africa if I had taken the job offered 30years ago , but I wouldn’t have the 2 boys I have now though.

del949:
i think that I would need to go back to when I was still at school and work harder to gain some qualifications to pursue another career.
having no qualifications worth anything I think that trucking was probably the best I could aspire to, but having the chances again to start from scratch with qualifications, I would have chosen differently.
Having said that, driving has provided my family and self with a reasonable standard of living and hopefully
a secure retirement and so I have no complaints.

Qualifications aren’t everything, though. I have an M.Sc. and I’ve earned more from my LGV licence than I ever did from my postgraduate studies. My fiancee is qualified up to M.Phil level (one down from a Doctorate); she’s worked in the field she’s qualified in since leaving university. She’s a Senior Ecologist now and is earning maybe two grand a year more than me, if that. She works longer hours than I do too.

Yes i would like to have done things differently, could have been a movie star if i could act, singer if i could sing, dancer musician ■■■■ star politician etc, no good for any of 'em especially measuring up for the ■■■■ star dept… :blush:

Thing is i’m no good at being in the same place with the same people, bit of a loner as are many of us and this job suits me as much as i suit it.

We can only play with the cards we are dealt at the time, if there was another path i’m sure i could have found it, i’m happy with my life though, no regrets no one else to blame for my decisions but me.

My personal life i heartily wish i could have my time over again, would find my lovely everso slightly barmy Mrs 30 years earlier… :sunglasses:

I’ve had loads of jobs. You name it, I’ve had a go at it.
I still end up driving a lorry.
It gets to me from time to time. But the pros outweigh the cons.
The jobsworths at rdcs used to wind me up. I’m older and wiser now, Nothing gets to me. I can be freezing in Sweden one week, In sunny spain the next, and at HMP preston after that.
You never know. That’s the best bit.

deltawing:
Hi Guys

Been trawling this site for a little while now and one thing i notice is a lot off ppl on here moan for england about there job. Now thats not uncommon i suppose everyone hates having to work.

but this made me think, if you could go back to a time before you started in haulage would you still make the same career choice knowing its going to be how it is today

No once upon a time people did this job because they chose too,now its populated by jerks who cant do bugger all else so they think getting a hgv is an easy option
Thats why you get so many vegatables driving trucks now.
Not a rant just a fact!