1st week in me new Merc

Well,just over a week in my new Actros and I have to say,it’s a lovely motor.

Now before all you Scania (sorry,Skoda) Volvo and DAF driver’s start,I used to be of the same mind,Merc’s were crap.But not any more.
It’s far superior to my old FH,more comfortable,more storage,bigger and better bed,more space and although it’s only a 410,it pulls bloody well!

And with all the muck and salt on the roads after last weeks heavy snow,I haven’t had to clean the mirror’s or side windows once.
I’d have had to do that within the first 20k’s in the FH!

And the Powershift auto box is a dream,far better than the I-shift,with smooth quick changes,and it starts off in 5th when you are empty,the poxy Volvo always started off in 2nd.

Having said all that,I did encounter a small problem last Friday night just 15kms from home.

It caught fire.

Nothing serious though,but I did have to use my extinguisher.

I’d just come down from Bremen,loads of time so not having to rush,and was almost home when I pulled up at a set of traffic lights.Parked near the lights was a car broken down,hazards on,and all of a sudden I smell friction linings,must be him I thought.
A bit further on I check the passenger mirror and wonder if that’s road spray I can see,or smoke.
Better safe than sorry,so I pull over and take a look,and sure enough,there’s smoke and the smell of burning brake linings coming from the drive axle on the passenger side.

The hub was only just warm,and as I stoop to have a closer look I notice a flickering light coming from somewhere.FIRE!!!

A few handfull’s of snow did nothing to dampen the flames,so,it’s out with the fire extinguisher and give it a good blast,which did the trick.Only in my haste I left the passenger door wide open,and the powder blows into the cab.Messy!

The boss couldn’t beleive it,the truck is less than a week old and has only clocked 2,500km.So he comes out in his Range-Rover to ■■■■■■ me back to the yard at a steady pace,where I drop the trailer and run the truck down to Mercedes ready for them to have a look on Saturday morning.

Apparently it turned out that one of the brake pads had frozen and was rubbing against the disc all the time,hence the friction,so they fitted new pads on both sides and put some alcohol in the air tanks.
Mind you,it has been cold the last week,and on Friday evening it was -17c,but still.

Nice motor though.

the Actros is quality - shame about its little sister the axor :confused:

I drive a FH and I must admit the Megaspace Actros does look nice…We are German owned so next time maybe…

Having said all that,I did encounter a small problem last Friday night just 15kms from home.

It caught fire

I`d hate to see what you would call a big problem… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

joemaxi:

It caught fire

I`d hate to see what you would call a big problem… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It was nothing really,I was quick with the old fire extinguisher.

All those years watching Trumpton paid off.

Pugh,Pugh,Barney McGrew,Cuthbert,Dibble & Grub :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I have the 460 powershift version KW and love it,great all rounder. I have to use manual on the downhills thou as the exhauster needs to be controlled. I have set my brakes on fire twice,i think the Merc brakes are the best in the business and you really need a trailer with discs to keep the standard up.

Any pics?

I have had my 2546 powershift Actros for 10 months now after coming off i shift 460 FH.people always ask which I prefer and I say the Merc but only just.However mine was in for service today and I drove my old fh and know I definately prefer the Merc - if only it would pull uphill as well as the fh things would be perfect.

shame about the fire mate! :open_mouth: the uk weather is giving the mota’s a hammering tho!! i was talking to a gregorys driver in the yard the other day about his spanking new actros, must admit, it looked a cracking mota!!! and he was also singing the praises…as i stood proud against the old daf haha

Not Everyone agrees with your opinon of the bed…

http://www.cfs-drivers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=98

Is it just me, that I wake up in the morning with a backache since I got the new Merc or are there people out there that are suffering the same thing. I mean it takes half an hour of pain to start walking straight. One other thing, most of you do not have this problem, but I am short, i cannot sit anywhere except the driver seat, because I cannot reach the floor. If I sit on the jump seat I had to buy a little stool to rest my foot.

Also when it comes to the horn, is it safer to roll down the window and shout because it is louder. I had a truck driver falling asleep on the inside lane while I was over taking, no matter how hard I hit the horn he could not hear me.

This on a BRAND NEW 58 reg Mega space Actros (460 or 480 i think)

Big Jules im not a member on that site so can’t comment so,if you can tell them to take the sheet of the bed and make sure the matress has the label up. I made that mistake and my back was broke,i knew eventually where i went wrong…pity some one did’nt tell me to check it sooner.

I mean it takes half an hour of pain to start walking straight.

i’d be like that if i was resting in the arms of morpheus. :laughing:

ellies dad:
Any pics?

Here it is at home the Sunday after New Year…

…and the next morning covered in snow…

As for the bed,it’s far superior to anything I’ve had before,especially that abortion in the FH I had at Edwards with the office pack,or whatever they call it,where the mattress was in three seperate bits!

wow impressive looks truck :sunglasses:

Never see them in England, dont your company doing work to UK? Keith

KW:

ellies dad:
Any pics?

As for the bed,it’s far superior to anything I’ve had before,especially that abortion in the FH I had at Edwards with the office pack,or whatever they call it,where the mattress was in three seperate bits!

nice looking truck but one thing i dont like,

its a bit…ermmmm,yellow!

KW:

ellies dad:
Any pics?

KW…do you mean Edwards out of Market Drayton■■?
Had interview with them yesterday, very positive vibes and think they are gonna take me on. Any advice you can give me about them would be greatly appreciated

RIPPER:
KW…do you mean Edwards out of Market Drayton■■?
Had interview with them yesterday, very positive vibes and think they are gonna take me on. Any advice you can give me about them would be greatly appreciated

No mate,this was Edwards Logistics in Genk,Belgium that are no more (bought out by Willy-Bitz).

Have seen the other Edwards that you are on about,they are over here in Belgium quite a bit with fridges.

Betz:
wow impressive looks truck :sunglasses:

Never see them in England, dont your company doing work to UK? Keith

They do have a bit to the UK now and then Ben,but it’s done by charters,and I really don’t want to drive in the UK anymore anyway.

Looks very well KW,i like the super singles on the mp3. Best of luck with it.