1st interview = 1st job

Hi all,

Had my first driver job interview this morning and got the job :smiley: it’s only driving 7.5t, but can save some money to do my class 2 and give me some experience on the job (all helps.) It’s delivering stock to 6 camping shops monday to friday 8.00am - 4.30pm. Looking forward to it, only thing not sure of is how to use tailgate lift, never used one but sure someone will show me how it works. Will let you know how I get on after doing a few days.

mcyboy141:
Hi all,

Had my first driver job interview this morning and got the job :smiley: it’s only driving 7.5t, but can save some money to do my class 2 and give me some experience on the job (all helps.) It’s delivering stock to 6 camping shops monday to friday 8.00am - 4.30pm. Looking forward to it, only thing not sure of is how to use tailgate lift, never used one but sure someone will show me how it works. Will let you know how I get on after doing a few days.

Well done on getting the 1st job.
I remember when I used to have to unload lorries in the yard that it had arrows on the pad so it should be pretty self explanatory.
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Well done, each tail lift make is different.Some you need a plastic key to turn it on at the rear of the vehicle.
You will need an extension lead, so you can operate the lift while standing inside the lorry.
I have used an empty pallet to climb up and down, but does not look impressive to the client.
Basically, you lower the lift platform, then extend it out until it stops on it’s runner.
Then up and down to pump truck the pallets off.
If the pallet is too high, heavy or awkward, spitting it down on to another empty pallet, will make life much easier.
Mind the back when unloading, it is easy to damage the back and be off sick for months.
Never rush, take your time.
I take the packaging and rubbish left over from the delivery, and put in the skip for the client, but you don’t have to.
They may keep it, or you take the rubbish back with you to dispose of it.
CHECK if the tail lift is working before leaving the yard, not when it has failed on the first drop.

Yeh tail lifts aren’t complicated to figure out yourself

Thanks, sure I will be able to work it out :confused: . will let you know how it’s gone if I still have my fingers at the end of the day :laughing: .

Have a look at the tail lift and if you’re unsure ask.

There are various types of tail-lift but here’s some videos I’ve found of the more common types you’re likely to come across.

Tail Lift Operation 1

Tail Lift Operation 2
Ignore some of the OT safety stuff on this video, just use your common sense :slight_smile:

Tail Lift Various

Good luck with the job :wink:

Thanks for the replys and thanks Tachograph, after seeing the clips it looks so easy, dont think I have any problems with it. H & S a bit ott on 2nd clip :laughing: .

Congrats mate!

Tail lifts are easy. Push buttons and swear at them until they move. And make note of how the flaps are arranged (I.E - Front flaps over side flaps) so when you put them back down you save some faffing about.

Best of luck to you!

WATCH YOUR TOES/FEET WHEN RAISING THE TAIL LIFT…

7.5 tonne work is a great learning curve for getting into LGV driving. Big enough to make you concentrate and brilliant for road experience. When you move upto class 2 rigids,i think its like a ‘similar’ step again.

Then you get to where I have today,in a huge 44 tonne artic and as an extra bonus,women fall at your feet and your gentleman sausage grows even bigger.

make sure whoever your working for instructs you into the correct h&s procedure for getting down from the back of the truck in the event of a tail lift failure,and keep the local fire brigade number handy in case your assesment procedure is similar to the tosco fanny that waited in the back of the truck till the fire brigade came to assist him down as he wasnt allowed to jump off a tail lift.h&s safety doncha know.if you want to experience similar to a zero gravity simulator then leave the engine running as a precaution,then see how long it takes your average urban hyena to drive your truck away while your in the back… :smiley:

" Urban hyena " LOL!!!

eagerbeaver:
WATCH YOUR TOES/FEET WHEN RAISING THE TAIL LIFT…

and your FINGERS :wink:

Remember to forget health and safety.training sWP and sop.and gloves.you’ll be popular with the bonus clan.heck you might get insurance