1st day training

Hi all,had my first day training today with crosshands transport training and it went alright (I think)I passed my theory on march 1st and was supposed to start the class 2 training on april 11 but got a call on friday telling me id be starting today(somebody cancelled)totally stressed out over the weekend but as with most things in life that you worry about the reality was a lot better than I was expecting.spent the morning in the classroom which was a nice way to get to know the other wannabees on the course and then spent the afternoon on the reversing exercise and trying to engage enough gears to get up to 20 mph for the controlled stop lol. would appreciate anybody elses first day sto
ries.
looking forward to tomorrow(6 am start -bugger)c melling

From little Acorns, etc, etc. Good luck for the rest of the week.

There are loads of 1st day stories on the site mate if you have a good look arround!

but hey lets hear your full training story if nothing else it will help a new trainee in time to come if not tomorrow next week…year…! Remeber the TruckNet moto for new drivers as well as old ones

To Dqito yda (means nowt but looks good :smiley: )

The Only Daft Question, Is the one you didnt ask!

I had my first lesson last Sunday - no stories to tell - went well, next lesson Sunday this week - unfortunately due to work I can only fit it in on a weekend.

justdrivers:
I had my first lesson last Sunday - no stories to tell - went well, next lesson Sunday this week - unfortunately due to work I can only fit it in on a weekend.

Nice one, good luck to you too!

Good luck crmelwales and justdrivers
with the rest of your training :smiley: .

So far so good,ive had my second full day out on the road and things seem to be coming together,had a few problems with the gear exercise yesterday but after a good nights sleep it went fine today.the main bugbear that I had with it was that I was using the gears to slow down as opposed to the footbrake and then not being able to engage the gear on the way back down the box,I cant believe how slow you can go in gear with no gas and not stall-bit different to the shopping trolley saxo thats my daily drive lol-the big day is on monday so ill post on monday night with either a :smiley: or a :cry: either way ill keep on postin and let you all know what happens
fingers crossed(but not my steering)

crmelwales:
So far so good,ive had my second full day out on the road and things seem to be coming together,had a few problems with the gear exercise yesterday but after a good nights sleep it went fine today.the main bugbear that I had with it was that I was using the gears to slow down as opposed to the footbrake and then not being able to engage the gear on the way back down the box

Try double-declutching the downward changes.

Get your speed down with the brakes first (if necessary), then:
o Floor the clutch
o Gear stick in neutral
o Foot off clutch (no need to worry about biting point) and floor the accelerator until you hit about 1500 rpm
o Foot off accelerator and floor the clutch
o Gearstick in to new gear
o Balance clutch & accelerator through biting point

Revving the engine in neutral gives you more of a chance of getting the lower gear.

Learners always want to change the gears very fast, the thing is, is to see ahead and be in the gear you need to be in before you get to the hazard.

Slow down the gear change, then it should be nice and smove and you will have no problem,
The gear excercise is a bit of a farce in my opinion, most drivers will tell you the only time you ever do it is on your test but nevertheless you got to get it right, treat a gear box like your girlfriend\wife, slip it in and out nice and slow and smove! :wink:

cheers for the advice on gears lads,I see what you mean about the lower gears engaging easier with revs in neutral but got pulled up by instructor for coasting which if im honest was exactly what I was doing although when ive passed I think that knowing how to d d clutch will definetely come in handy.As for slowing it down and keeping it smooth I think that I have finally got some sort of rythym with the gears so much appreciated.we were given our test times today and ive had the first out of me and my fellow trainee so the pressure will be lifted slightly as I didnt fancy goin second.my test is at 10.30 monday so hopefully ill miss the mad rush hour traffic.only downside is that I wont be able to have a drink watching the wales scotland game on sunday(dont think that the examiner would appreciate beer on my breath lol)small price to pay though and hopefully I can have a celebratory half or 2 on moday night
cheers again lads

:slight_smile: Good Luck on your test tomorrow, crmel,

Remember : Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors ( turn your head in a sort of exaggerated way to make sure the examiner sees - not just moving your eyes from one side to the other. It sounds daft, but hey - it’s only while your out on the test run! )

Good Luck on your test tomorrow crmelwales :smiley: .

Good luck with your test mate :smiley: :smiley:

Good luck with the test :wink:.

I know exactly what your going through but if you pass its worth all the effort. However if you dont, dont give up, you will get there in the end. Listen to the advice off the people on here,its one of the best things i ever did. Good luck mate!

Hope you passed your test today mate.

good luck hopefully not too late.