12/24/240v inverters - personnel recomendations plz

I`m looking for an inverter so I can primarily run my new laptop, and possibly a DVD player from the cig socket in the cab.
(the maplins 12v - 4.5v switchable dropper I had for the Tesco DVD player blew up the 1st time I used it …several months after I bought it) :frowning:

As for the inverter
I`ve tried searching without suitable results, ideally I want recomendations for inverters that members actually own, not items that have been googled, or seen on maplins website, without being used by them.

wether I should buy 12v or 24v is debatable, as I doubt the basic 12v/24v twin 5amp dropperthat I have would handle the load if i got a 12v/240v, but its unlikely Ill need a huge 1 to run a microwave etc. As the work Im doing is “day” work, in DAF (Xf, Cf, & even Lf :blush: ) trucks, and occationally Merc & Volvo trucks. But I know these trucks have 12v power anyhow, portability is also important due to the “day” work

The laptop is an ACER the mains dropper run at
input - 100-240v 1.6A
output - 19v 3.42A

hi mate have a look here

tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/ … index.html

i got one for my mate a 300 watt about 2 years ago and its still going strong

I bought a 300w inverter from Maplins- the shop, not the website- because it was on special offer and less than anything else I could find by a long chalk, even 150w inverters, and although it is far more wattage than you need to run a laptop it might be worth checking if the offer is still on as it was only a couple of weeks ago that I bought it. As for performance, well I just don’t know. It seems to power this laptop ok. :wink:

peirre:
but its unlikely I`ll need a huge 1 to run a microwave

You will, a microwave oven is about 800 watts.

RE: 240V INVERTER

Yes I agree the MAPLIN’S one is brill I have used one for about 4 years mine is a 300w squarish shaped and I run my t.v or dvd player with no problems. However if you want to run a microwave you need a serious bit of kit best advise is to talk to cdc and get a proper inverter and microwave i think the last time I looked it was about 300/400 quid for the setup

Harry Monk:

peirre:
but its unlikely I`ll need a huge 1 to run a microwave

You will, a microwave oven is about 800 watts.

i think you’ve taken that out of context Harry, i think he is saying that he doesn’t need a big inverter because he will not be using a microwave :wink:

i may of course be totally incorrect (first time for everything i suppose :laughing: )

peirre:
As for the inverter
I`ve tried searching without suitable results, ideally I want recomendations for inverters that members actually own, not items that have been googled, or seen on maplins website, without being used by them.

I use a 24v inverter I bought from the hut in Exeter services, I know its 300w but don’t know any more as it’s in the cab and I’m at home :blush:

will have a look tomorrow

delboytwo:
hi mate have a look here

yes i have a 24v one of these and its fantastic. a piece of advice is let the charger run on its own for about 30 seconds then plug in your laptop charger then leave it again for 30 seconds the plug in your laptop for a constant charge.

jessicas dad:

delboytwo:
hi mate have a look here

yes i have a 24v one of these and its fantastic.

I agree. I use a 24V 150W one of these for my laptop and it is a great bit of kit. I’ve used it for 8 - 10 hours at a time on occasion and it hardly takes anything out of the vehicle batteries.

shuttlespanker:
i think you’ve taken that out of context Harry, i think he is saying that he doesn’t need a big inverter because he will not be using a microwave :wink:

i may of course be totally incorrect (first time for everything i suppose :laughing: )

you are correct, Though a microwave oven would be a fine peice of kit, it would just be gathering dust in the house with the rest of my night out gear. … As the number of nights out I`ve done, have totalled 2 in 4 years on agency

back to the OP, should I get 12v or 24v input?

Thuogh I`ve looked at the TLC website, and theres only £6+ between the 150/300/600w sets. :slight_smile:

i’ve got 300 watt 24v inverter for my lap top works a treat, but as coffe said plug you laptop charger in first and let it get up and running before you plug it into the laptop, i think some of the chargers take quite a surge to get going after that it runs all day only ever unplug it at night never let me down in 2 years :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

i’ve got a 300w, skytronic inverter, that i got out of the cdc trailer at orwell crossing, can’t remember, think it was bout 50 quid, give or take a tenner, and so far, its been as good as gold.
it would be portable enough too.

peteandbrenda:
but as coffe said plug you laptop charger in first and let it get up and running before you plug it into the laptop,

I didn’t say that, it was JD. :smiley:

I just connect up the cables, plug inverter into socket, switch on inverter then switch on laptop, I don’t wait for anything to get up and running.

Denis F:

peirre:
As for the inverter

I use a 24v inverter I bought from the hut in Exeter services, I know its 300w but don’t know any more as it’s in the cab and I’m at home :blush:

will have a look tomorrow

it’s one of these

voltageconversion.co.uk/sto … ctid=16197

works ok, buzzes a bit - questioned the guy I bought it from and he said they all do !!!

i,ve got skytronic 24v 300w as well works perfectly and also runs 15inch tv fine as well £60 at cdc but you,ll find it cheaper if you search ebay etc :slight_smile:

is “soft start” an important / prefered feature?