12v invertors

12v invertors just wondered isit possible to run a laptop on one if so does anyone have any good recomendations on one thanks.

i run my laptop of a 300 watt inverter.
got it of ebay a few years ago so cant remember the make.

Most likely skytronic Dave :slight_smile:

I also use a 300w but a 24v inverter to run my lappy, phone charger, speakers, why a 12v?? For car or truck?

Yep, you need a 300w inverter to run a lappy, you can get either a 12v or a 24v inverter, a 24v inverter draws less current, they are £25-30 on eBay, 12v inverters probably the same at Maplins or similar.

its for truck like lol, ok i will try ebay thanks :smiley: is there any good model etc?

lgamston:
its for truck like lol, ok i will try ebay thanks :smiley: is there any good model etc?

Yeah, Skytronic, most likely the main ones you’ll see anyway. For a truck, get a 24v 1 if poss, that way when the volt dropper on your truck breaks, u can still use it.

just looked at mine not sure of make, it just says its
a note book power regulated adapter. got it from
m6 diesel a few months ago for around £25 and had no probs…

Pure sine wave inverters are best although cost a bit more than the regular modified sine wave ones. With the modified sine wave inverters, you’ll get a buzz off the laptop power supply/back of LCD tv etc etc, the component will run hotter and will lower the life of it too. Try for a 24v one and get a length of battery cable to run it straight off both batteries.

Steve-o:
get a length of battery cable to run it straight off both batteries.

In theory that’s a good idea but I’m not going to take my battery cover off every time I want to post some tosh on TruckNet :wink:

Harry Monk:

Steve-o:
get a length of battery cable to run it straight off both batteries.

In theory that’s a good idea but I’m not going to take my battery cover off every time I want to post some tosh on TruckNet :wink:

That’s why you drill a hole in the side of the cover and find or er… make a hole in the underside of the cab and run the cable through there. Just make sure to pull the cable out before you tilt the cab :wink: :laughing:

dont get the black and decker invertor from argos they are crap, and it wont run a lappy!!!
the challenge(ARGOS) invertors work ok, but when u turn it on plug the lappy supply in then connect to the lappy… i tried to get another as a back up in the sale, and instead of giving me a 12v 300w 500max… they said id ordered a 800w 1300max 12v… for same price :laughing: :laughing:
and some truck stops seem to have a top end price on em… ebay/ argos prob best

not too clued up on inverter’s but would i be right in thinking a 24v inverter goes into the 24v cigarette lighter, then it boosts the power to run an appliance ?

or does it have to be wired up to omething ?

sorry if it sounds daft :unamused:

you can get a 24v from maplins and trust me you will not need more than a 300w, i have had mine for the last eight years and its run tv’s laptops playstations. but it doesnt do kettles or the like :laughing: just plug it in to the lighter and away to go. never mind about waves and things just watch after a few hours and check the batteries that there still showing 24volts as the alarms built in dont always work especially in the cold weather. I always try the engine after say 2-3 hrs just to be careful. good luck with it fella :laughing:

You guys must be running some impressive laptops if you need a 300w inverter! :open_mouth:

If you look on the label on the laptop’s power supply/charger it should tell you the output power used, mine’s 65w. Allow a bit for the inefficency of the charger and the optimism of the inverter manufacturer to get the power rating you need. A 130w 12v inverter from Halfords plugged into the accessory socket runs my laptop no problems.

Of course if you want to run a telly or audio equipment off it as well you might need something bigger, and as steve-o says a pure sine wave inverter will be a better option. A 12v 300w inverter is going to need wires to the battery that will take up to 50 or 60 amps to handle peak loads, so plugging it into the dashboard isn’t really an option.

lgamston:
12v invertors just wondered isit possible to run a laptop on one if so does anyone have any good recomendations on one thanks.

Got one parked up in the downstairs store cupboard (toilet :laughing: )

It is a 1500 watt inverter and was formally used to power a vac when I ran my own car glass business, it is for sale and if not gone soon will go on e bay I paid over £200 so will accept offers of £100 + P&P anyone interested can PM me and I will answer q’s but needs a new hame nowt wrong with it just need rid as am moving soon and will have to put in storage then it will not see the light of day for some time :wink: Thanks gang

Try TLC, good service, fast delivery
tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/ … index.html

Mad dan:

lgamston:

Got one parked up in the downstairs store cupboard (toilet :laughing: )

It is a 1500 watt inverter and was formally used to power a vac when I ran my own car glass business, it is for sale and if not gone soon will go on e bay I paid over £200 so will accept offers of £100 + P&P anyone interested can PM me and I will answer q’s but needs a new hame nowt wrong with it just need rid as am moving soon and will have to put in storage then it will not see the light of day for some time :wink: Thanks gang

Can you let us know the Make and model of inverter you have Mad dan?

There are good and bad ones out there :laughing:

ourmike:
You guys must be running some impressive laptops if you need a 300w inverter! :open_mouth:

If you look on the label on the laptop’s power supply/charger it should tell you the output power used, mine’s 65w. Allow a bit for the inefficency of the charger and the optimism of the inverter manufacturer to get the power rating you need. A 130w 12v inverter from Halfords plugged into the accessory socket runs my laptop no problems.

That is true, but 300w inverters seem to cost no more than 150w inverters, and when I bought my first one it was actually cheaper than all of the lower power inverters in Maplins…

boot the headlight:
never mind about waves and things just watch after a few hours

That’s what I thought… right up untill my laptop power supply went on the blink because of it. Just remember things will run hotter than normal and that Bzzzzzzzzzz you hear from it, is a slow death

They where selling 150w & 300w inverters recently in Lidl for pennies, there may still be a few hanging around in the shops