Inverters

I am starting a new job soon. I am after an inverter that will be powerful enough to run my laptop only. Obviously just to be used to charge the battery then unplug it. I have seen one at lymm truck stop that connects to the old lighter socket,and has a plug socket other end. Can anyone tell me if this will be good enough or if not direct me to a better alternative. Cheers.

I have so far found these two

cb-shack.co.uk/200-watt-truc … p-581.html

ebay.co.uk/itm/BESTEK-Red-20 … 4ada8c42a7

If you are only going to use if for you laptop, get a 12V charger for the laptop, got one for my macbook for 8 quid. All laptops run on 12-15v adaptors.

easy ans m8 all the 150w/300w/ plug in lighter will be plenty for ya

Cheers for replies. Can I just ask what else this size inverter will power.

it will do a t,v, m8 if u get 300watt plug in one /lap top :smiley:

stevejones:

Steve is right, I run my flat screen and lap top at the same time with the engine running but only one item at a time with the engine off using a 300 watt inverter.

wheelnutt:
If you are only going to use if for you laptop, get a 12V charger for the laptop, got one for my macbook for 8 quid. All laptops run on 12-15v adaptors.

^^

This!

I went into Maplins, they told me you’d be better off with an inverter, it was £10 cheaper too, although wish I’d got 24v as I don’t have enough 12v points

NewLad:
I went into Maplins, they told me you’d be better off with an inverter, it was £10 cheaper too, although wish I’d got 24v as I don’t have enough 12v points

Well, they were wrong, and an inverter should NOT be cheaper than a 12v laptop adapter - usually come in around a tenner +/-.

An inverter will drain the battery, meaning engine will require running, a 12v laptop adapter hardly drains any power.

300W at 24v = 15 amps (rounded figure), a laptop adapter would drain around 8 amps from a 12v socket, 4 if you could find a 24v one but these are rarer than hens teeth.

Now, let’s say you want to use lappy for 2hrs per night… you can see where that’s going can’t you.

The problem too with the inverter, is it doesn’t know what you’re draining, so will draw 300W straight away and put it into ‘storage’ in it’s capaciters, that’s about 2hrs drain on the laptop charger before you start…

■■■■■■■■

I have a 24v 300w inverter, straight into socket. Just to charge the laptop from maplins, cost 56 quid. I run it engine off for 4 hours ish (never needed more). As I game on my laptop. Not a single problem, cab lights are on, and its plugged into the radio, and i frequently boil the kettle. Never switch on, never have to.

Just had a look and my laptop pulls 90w so 200w more than enough I feel. Torn between inverter and incar(truck) charger. Thanks for all the replies so far. Is 300w safe to pull from a 12v lighter socket? would you recommend I get a 24v inverter than a 12v.

Second question do many people cook in there cabs using a camping stove, is it safe if so which one have you got. Currently getting all my bits together.

Don’t like running inverter of 12 volt cus this is prob powerd by built in inverter so may not be up to it.
Aa for cooking, I use single ring gas camping stove, lives in its own little box. Gas can be bought in some service stops but cheaper in pound shop or the like.

stevejones:

A 300W one is likely to draw more current than the cig lighter socket can provide.

waynedl:
The problem too with the inverter, is it doesn’t know what you’re draining, so will draw 300W straight away and put it into ‘storage’ in it’s capaciters, that’s about 2hrs drain on the laptop charger before you start…

Sorry but that is completely wrong. The capacitors are smoothing capacitors and are fully charged within a fraction of a second and they don’t store anything remotely like 300W worth of energy. Something like a 2000uF capacitor at 24V will charge up in a few milliseconds, draw an initial maximum charge of 0.1A which reduces as it reaches full charge and dissipate 2.9W. The inverter won’t draw max current continuously but will draw what it needs depending on the load plugged into it.

The main reason to use a laptop charger is efficiency. Its far more efficient and therefore uses less battery stepping up 12V to 19V laptops typically use than to convert 12V DC to 230V AC to run a laptop mains charger that converts that back down to 19V.

Last question on this topic from me. Can I plug a four gang into my inverter,charge my phone, connect an external hard drive, use/charge my laptop and boil a kettle. Or am I a fire hazard

Darrenb:
Last question on this topic from me. Can I plug a four gang into my inverter,charge my phone, connect an external hard drive, use/charge my laptop and boil a kettle. Or am I a fire hazard

You won’t be boiling a kettle with it unless you get one of those 1kW or larger ones that hook up directly to the truck batteries.

You’ll need a 2000W inverter to power a 1000W travel kettle mate :smiley:

Sorry see had a few beers now and not explained myself clearly. I mean a 12v kettle.

Darrenb:
Sorry see had a few beers now and not explained myself clearly. I mean a 12v kettle.

Don’t bother with a plug in kettle.They are’nt that good.Better of getting a camping kettle to put on the stove.

Yeah those 12V ones are crap. You turn them on when you go to sleep and when you wake up 7-8hrs later they’re just about coming to the boil just in time for a wake up cuppa. :laughing: