Agencies want to know too much?

yourhavingalarf:
They don’t have anything to hide but, they do know if they don’t produce a licence they will go home unpaid. Therefore, they are coerced into showing their ID.
I should add at this point. It’s turned into this situation of driver checks because the slack-arsed take the money and run agencies didn’t ensure the drivers they hired were legit in the first place. So companies ended up with non-qualified people turning up and doing shifts.

We need a better system. Worringly, facial recognition might be the what we end up with big brother.

Nonsense. It’s turned into this because people with fake ID’s and fake driving licences tried to get work illegally, and agencies tightened up the system to ensure they were not caught out.

FYI I have come across this first-hand as I was both a TM and a recruitment consultant in previous lives. Hence my advice to anyone writing a CV, or indeed accepting one from a candidate, is that what it does NOT say is as important as what it does.

I once interviewed a prospective 7.5 tonne driver who brought glowing references from his previous employer; but oddly there was no mention of driving which is what he claimed to have done for them as his main job. Closer investigation revealed that he’d been banned for drink driving, had held on to his paper licence (which had no endorsements on it) and was trying to blag a job with us. Can you imagine what could have happened had I taken his licence at face value, sent him out on a job and he’d had an accident?

Thankfully it’s far more difficult to pull that sort of stunt these days because unless a prospective employer is incredibly desperate or stupid, they will check a licence with DVLA at interview.