More than keys (ID Cards)

Ok so yesterday 2 of the 6 drops I went to required me to hand in my “Company ID Card” at the monkeybox along with my keys.

When asked what for, at the first one, I was told the usual “Company policy” and could get no further. When I told them I was an agency driver I was then shown the memo from their head office, stuck to the wall saying what was acceptable ID, apparently Drivers License, Tacho Card (!?! , I’ll just go pull that for you mate) Company ID card or National ID card is all thats acceptable, it has to have at least your name and photo on.

Rang the office who said “oh yeah we’ll get some agency ones done, just give them your driving license” I wasn’t happy about it as my driving license has obviously name, age, date of birth and address on it. But I didn’t have much choice.

Now this was at a large international electronics firm with plenty of depots around the UK so I imagine plenty of other drivers are going to come across it soon, the second time was at a europe-wide engineering firm.

As agency its going to be impossible to get a new ID card every morning, and cost prohibitive for the customer. Does anyone know where I can get a one off, official looking one made with my own name and photo put on it, without resorting to those “Novelty” driving license sites?

Do you all have photo ID you’d be prepared to hand over?

Seems having no choice but to give the monkeybox my name, DOB and address is just a little bit too much when Its absolutely nothing to do with them at all!

Alex

I have an agency id card due to my level 4 (airport cargo security), so had to have id for that, so rather than having firm by firm, I have an agency 1.

The only photo ID I am prepared to hand over to random people is my company ID. No way is anyone getting my driving licence with my address on it. Often while waiting to board the ferry in Dublin Port a couple of plastic port police come round the trucks doing checks. Everytime they ask me for my driving licence or passport and every time I refuse and only give them my company ID. It has lead to a couple of protracted arguments when they insist they are entitled to see it as they are the police and I just laugh at them and point out they are glorified security men. Now I just tell them I don’t have either my passport or licence with me as it makes the time they are bothering me shorter and I can get on with watching videos or browsing the net.

In the situation above if I hadn’t had company ID I would have just pulled out and taken the load back. Agencies will just have to provide ID cards for their drivers if this becomes more common.

Alternatively make your own one up with the agency logo on it using a printer, a digi camera and these or these. I did that when I was an OD and I was going to places who wanted ID :wink:

Many years ago I had to deliver to Lindsay Oil Refinery in Killingolme. The plastic failed plod in there photographed you, asked for your name date of birth and registration number. The only thing I couldn’t lie about was my registration number as they photographed that too. I had an annual pass for RAF Waddington that gave me Triple A clearance. It was cardboard and didn’t even have a photo on it

Listen bud, someone ordered it, I am delivering it, now do you want it or not? :laughing:

Yeh of course I would hand my driving licence with all my personal details over to some nigerian gate opener and closer :laughing:

Scarab:
Ok so yesterday 2 of the 6 drops I went to required me to hand in my “Company ID Card” at the monkeybox along with my keys.

When asked what for, at the first one, I was told the usual “Company policy” and could get no further. When I told them I was an agency driver I was then shown the memo from their head office, stuck to the wall saying what was acceptable ID, apparently Drivers License, Tacho Card (!?! , I’ll just go pull that for you mate) Company ID card or National ID card is all thats acceptable, it has to have at least your name and photo on.

Rang the office who said “oh yeah we’ll get some agency ones done, just give them your driving license” I wasn’t happy about it as my driving license has obviously name, age, date of birth and address on it. But I didn’t have much choice.

Now this was at a large international electronics firm with plenty of depots around the UK so I imagine plenty of other drivers are going to come across it soon, the second time was at a europe-wide engineering firm.

As agency its going to be impossible to get a new ID card every morning, and cost prohibitive for the customer. Does anyone know where I can get a one off, official looking one made with my own name and photo put on it, without resorting to those “Novelty” driving license sites?

Do you all have photo ID you’d be prepared to hand over?

Seems having no choice but to give the monkeybox my name, DOB and address is just a little bit too much when Its absolutely nothing to do with them at all!

Alex

the only people who can ask to see your driving licence is either police/ vosa inspector/ customs offical.
i have had numerous arguements with security gaurds about them asking for my driving licence as id, they dont like it but i always inform them that they could always call the local police station too find out if what i say is true (chubb security at dundee port did and were surprised when the police confirmed what i said). i made up my own id card which i use now and is accepted at all the places i have been too so far.

I only give over driving license to MOD sites where they give it straight back. A suntanned security bloke at Oxford castle once refused to let me in because I refused to give my license over, and when site agent got involved it turned out he had no business asking for it anyway.

TBH why the hell are people so effin obtuse, you have a driving licence so why the hell dont you use it as ID? Its not really clever to pay for an id youv’e made yourself since you already have one.

schrodingers cat:
TBH why the hell are people so effin obtuse, you have a driving licence so why the hell dont you use it as ID? Its not really clever to pay for an id youv’e made yourself since you already have one.

Because it has enough info on it to really cause you some problems if the details get into the wrong hands.

schrodingers cat:

It’s not the business of some ■■■■■■ in a tie and hi viz to have possession of my license that’s why. If the site don’t want me to make the delivery, I wont. I couldn’t gice a toss. I don’t ask the postman for id when he delivers a parcel to my house, so why should some ■■■■■■ who pretends to be a copper have access to mine?

Muckaway:

schrodingers cat:

It’s not the business of some ■■■■■■ in a tie and hi viz to have possession of my license that’s why. If the site don’t want me to make the delivery, I wont. I couldn’t gice a toss. I don’t ask the postman for id when he delivers a parcel to my house, so why should some ■■■■■■ who pretends to be a copper have access to mine?

Well said that man… I’m dam sure I wouldn’t hand mine over either.

schrodingers cat:
you have a driving licence so why the hell dont you use it as ID

I never carry mine with me, and there is no legal requirement to do so.As others have said,there is also a lot of usefull information on it for the less than trustworthy in society to make use of.

schrodingers cat:
Its not really clever to pay for an id youv’e made yourself since you already have one.

Cheaper to make your own,than pay £20 to replace your licence if you lose it.

I can`t wait for this one :laughing:
Just when are we all going to disappear up our own arses?
Sometime soon would be my guess… :sunglasses:

Wow some people on here seem to have something to hide. The Info on your license is in the public domain anyway so what is the problem wth proving who you are by showing a document you carry with you anyway? It just seems that some people out ther feel the need to be awkward because it gives them a warm and fluffy feeling inside. :unamused: The truth is that no, you dont have to show a member of the public your id but surely it does no harm to tow the line occasionally if it gets your job done more quickly.

schrodingers cat:
Wow some people on here seem to have something to hide. The Info on your license is in the public domain anyway so what is the problem wth proving who you are by showing a document you carry with you anyway? It just seems that some people out ther feel the need to be awkward because it gives them a warm and fluffy feeling inside. :unamused: The truth is that no, you dont have to show a member of the public your id but surely it does no harm to tow the line occasionally if it gets your job done more quickly.

Yeh I do have something to hide, my PERSONAL details, Obviously you aint to clued up on what people can do with your personal details.
And the info is not in the public domain if it was they wouldnt need to be asking us for ID.

What is Identity theft?
Your identity and personal information are valuable. Criminals can use your personal details to open bank accounts and get credit cards, loans, state benefits and documents such as passports and driving licenses in your name.

One warehouse i used to pick up loaded trailers at deceided they wanted the drivers to give them their social security number to get the paperwork. Our drivers refused so the warehouse called our office and were told they could see the company ID only, that made them driver friendly :wink:

bubsy06:

schrodingers cat:

Yeh I do have something to hide, my PERSONAL details, Obviously you aint to clued up on what people can do with your personal details.
And the info is not in the public domain if it was they wouldnt need to be asking us for ID.

What is Identity theft?
Your identity and personal information are valuable. Criminals can use your personal details to open bank accounts and get credit cards, loans, state benefits and documents such as passports and driving licenses in your name.

The government already sells your name and address to whoever wants it so what the hell would you have to hide that is on your driving licence? seems that a lot of people here are a bit paranoid.

I don’t want some plastic copper knowing my date of birth, my driving licence number and my full name and address, especially my address when he will also know I am away from home and the premises are unoccupied for long periods.

They really don’t need any of those details in order for me to make a delivery and as they usually copy those details down into a ledger who knows how long those books lie around for or who has access to them. Maybe the cleaner can get a look and get a lot of useful information to pass onto someone for a few quid.

Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn’t mean someone isn’t out to get you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
I don’t want some plastic copper knowing my date of birth, my driving licence number and my full name and address, especially my address when he will also know I am away from home and the premises are unoccupied for long periods.

They really don’t need any of those details in order for me to make a delivery and as they usually copy those details down into a ledger who knows how long those books lie around for or who has access to them. Maybe the cleaner can get a look and get a lot of useful information to pass onto someone for a few quid.

Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn’t mean someone isn’t out to get you. :stuck_out_tongue:

What he said! ^^^

schrodingers cat:

bubsy06:

schrodingers cat:

What is Identity theft?

The government already sells your name and address to whoever wants it so what the hell would you have to hide that is on your driving licence? seems that a lot of people here are a bit paranoid.

Not paranoid at all mate, just dont want any unexpected bills or to find my driving licence has been cloned and someone has run up loads of points on it.