Digital card info request

Hi all.
I was informed yesterday that the company i work for on a part time basis, i.e. every weekend are having new units delivered on the 1st of september.
I have not even applied for this drivers card let alone been told about it .Will the agency i work for pay the 38 pound? or is it up to me?

What is the difference with a company card as opposed to a drivers card?
can you have both? I am booked in to start work next saturday but i wont be allowed to drive for them now as they will have taken delivery of all new units with digi tacos, GREAT not.
advice please guys. thanks…

Welshlad: Do they really charge 38 quid for cards in the UK? They are free here in Spain - and so they should be. It’s them that want us to have them, not us.

The difference between a drivers and a company card is that the company card cannot be used to drive on and serves only to allow downloads of information from the tacho. So unless it’s your firm you can neither have one nor do you need one.

david

I doubt that your agency will pay for the card, mine never and I haven’t heard of any that have.
You’ll need the drivers card from the DVLA not the company card from Vosa, the company card would be useless to you even if you could get one.
You can get the form for the drivers card by phoning the DVLA on : 0870 8501074 during office hours (8am to 8:30pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 5:30pm Saturday I believe, could be wrong though :wink: ).
after sending in the application form you should have your card within about a fortnight.

ps: To save time you could ask the company you work for if they have any application forms for the drivers card, I know some company’s got some in for their drivers.

Good luck.

i hope you havnt got a monday to friday job aswell.
Your going to get yourself in serious trouble if you get caught.
Vosa are starting to get tough

Tony b

David Miller Welshlad was the geezer I drew pictures for last Sunday on how to get to Sainsburys. Not a word of thanks ( Second one on here ) so I wouldn`t be too sympathetic…Its a case of picking your brains then roaring off…In this world you have the givers & the takers…

Just to clarify the use of digital cards;

All cards are issued in the UK by DVLA;

The company card is issued to HGV, PSV and LGV operators (including Owner Drivers). First issue is £38 then renewal, after 5 years is £19. The card allows the Operator to ‘lock-in’ and ‘lock-out,’ basically this means that data which is personal in nature, cannot be downloaded by another company, as the data stored in the vehicle unit is ‘associated’ to a particular company card. The Company Card also allows downloading of data from either vehicle units (with which it is associated) or Driver cards. Unless you are an OD there is really no point in you having a Company Card, although you could get one.

The Control card; issued to Police and VOSA. Allows them to download data from a driver card or vehicle unit without restriction. The Control Card is not a Warrant card, so, if you’re not sure who the person is, ask to see their warrant card. However, a clue might be the liveried Volvo V70 parked behind you or the word ‘VOSA’ on the back of his/her hi-viz :smiley:

The Workshop Card; issued to calibration centre staff who have completed a VOSA approved fitting and calibration course for digital tachographs. The card along with its’ pin number, allow syou to adjust any of the vehicle unit calibration settings. It also allows you to adjust UTC time/date without restriction. Normally, you can only adjust UTC time by +/- 1 minute per week, so unless you have a Workshop card winding forward/backward is going to take a very long time :open_mouth: The Workshop card will function as a driver card, but its’ use as such is not permitted under the Tacho Centre Scheme rules. The Workshop card also allows for unrestricted downloading of data. This is because certain repair procedures call for the data in a Vehicle Unit to be copied before the unit is repaired.

Finally, the Drivers Card; issued to anybody with at least a Category B driving licence, who meets the residency requirements and pays their £38. A replacement or renewal is £19 unless the card is faulty and returned to DVLA, in which case it’s free. Also free is when you change your address. Basically, it replaces tacho charts in digital vehicles. Article 12 of 3821/85 requires that both the driver and employer ensure that the recording equipment (tacho) is working. This has been extended to include the proper use of the driver card, so strictly speaking Employers are required to ensure drivers know how to use the equipment, including the use of the manual entry facility :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Driving at weekends; yes VOSA are getting a lot keener about people driving at weekends and working at other things during the week. This has been made easier for them with the new record production period; current week and 15 proceeding calendar days :smiley: :smiley: