Agencies

Hello all
Don’t post on here too often but am a regular visitor.
I passed my C & C&E last year (July C+E) I am currently employed in our local steelworks on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern (not driving) and am wanting to pick up some LGV driving around my shifts. I have done bits of work, mainly Morrisons veg to supermarkets through a relative, but its hit and miss and I want to get some real hours in.
Hence, I have got an interview with an agency this week.
I have loads of questions to ask them, but have any of you got any advice about what pitfalls to avoid and what questions I should be asking before I commit to something I might regret.
Appreciate any comments
C

hi mate there is not much to regret with agency if you dont like the work they give you then tell them you want something diffrent

make sure you take driv licence NI bank details and probably passport

you will probably have to do a test aswell asking basic questions like how many hours can u drive before a break etc

you can usually choose when you want to work eg nights/days/wkends

hope this helps :smiley:

There is nothing to worry about with agency interviews - normally they check that you know tacho rules and are actually alive and that is about it. By signing up with them you aren’t “commiting” yourself to anything - you are not obligated to take work that they offer you if it doesn’t suit, although if you refuse everything they are likely to stop calling you …

G

Thanks for your comments guys.
I’d better do a bit of revising. If anyone has any agencies to avoid in the South Yorks region let me know as I might give a few others a call.
C

the questions to ask is " when i sign up to you am i going to get any work out if you or am i going to make the numbers up :question: "

"are your pay rates the same across the variaty of jobs :question: "

" do i get paid if you give me a job and cancel it at the last minute :question: "

jon

I wqouldn’t give anybody your bank details unless they actually want to put some money in it. Unless you work for them don’t give your bank details to any one.
I did some work for Driver temps last year. They didn’t get me a lot of work but they did get some good jobs without any pressure.
0114 272 0007.

Hi C

I filled a 9 month gap after redundancy, with agency work before landing a permanent job again last July, so here are a few tips that I picked up from my experience during that period.

On signing up, insist on written terms and conditions, and if they are too bad or illegal, avoid and try another agency if there are others in your area. Holiday pay is a legal right like in any other job. 20 days minimum per year at average pay pro rata depending how many days you have worked for them. One agency I worked worked for tried every trick in the book to avoid paying any holidays. I settled for 6 out of the 8 that they owed and promptly changed agency gaining 50p an hour and carried on working with the same company.

Which brings me to my 2nd tip. If you get work on a firm and you like it, ask other drivers whether the firm uses other agencies as well and if so what do they pay. Then go for the best paying agency or ask yours to match the higher rate. They seem to pay as little as they can get away with, so bargain for the best rate you can get.

3rd tip. Tell agencies what days of week or hours you want, but don’t keep moving the goalposts. Also specify if you will take work at short notice or want bookings by a certain time. After getting a few phone calls at 4 am I started switching ringer off between 10pm and 6am. If you get fixed up with regular work from one agency, tell any others that you will phone them when you become available again to avoid their wasted calls.

4th tip. Very important. ALWAYS do walk round check of any vehicle you are given BEFORE getting in and driving it. Promptly report any defects to cover yourself. Then check electric items and seat adjustment (one was actually welded in position) from inside cab, oil water lights etc. etc.
If illegal or dangerous…REFUSE VEHICLE. It’s your licence at stake.

Always insist on a spare tacho chart of correct type for vehicle.

Let agency driving work for you. It’s as good as you make it.

Hi
Had my interview this afternoon and used all your comments/questions.
Filled loads of forms in and was really happy with his answers and he seems really keen to get me on their books. I even had a small “exam” to take!
We’ll see if he’s as good as his word!!
Thanks again all

C

the questions to ask is " when i sign up to you am i going to get any work out if you or am i going to make the numbers up Question "

Strange how they always have the same answer to that one, “loads of work, honest guv”…

G