Agency fraud

n

Dinsdale:
Here’s a new one,i went to register with a agency and in the signing up process of proving my identity they insisted i allow them a copy of my bank card they say it was to prove bank details,so naturally i declined seemed like an attempt at fraud to me i’ve never been asked this before.

One of my previous agencies used to do this. I only agreed because I knew loads of people who were already working there, I’d never give my card number and CCV code to anyone, looking bad it was still a terrible idea/policy from the agency. They should only ever need an account number and sort code, that’s it.

Didn’t have that with the two agencies I worked for, just fill-in the details and they pay them in. Wouldn’t be happy with them copying it to get the numbers on front or back.

Cant see why you’d need to prove the bank details.

You don’t let the card leave your sight. By all means let them have the FRONT details of the card, that is the 8 digit account number and sort code required to actually pay money into your bank account for wages… BUT they DON’T need the big 16 digit number and make sure they don’t even take your card into the next room to get the CCV number on the back!

…Otherwise they can use those two numbers to buy stuff on the intnernet that doesn’t need to be “posted to the cardholder’s home” - such as subscriptions, TfL charges, and any other “services” where you have no actual physical goods delivered as part of the transaction.

The same applies in Restaurants when eating out: When paying by card you should NOT just “dump your card on the saucer with the mints on it”…

Get them to bring the card reader machine to your table, where you “chip & pin” authrorize it…

My bank sent me a card with the “swipe touch” aspect on it. I phoned to have it cancelled, and re-issued with “chip & pin ONLY”.

I was horrified to find that I could use my card on the “swipe” at those supermarket self-check out things - for transactions under £20 for what seemed to be “unlimited times per day” - WITHOUT ever having to type my pin in! :open_mouth:
…So now, I’ve got a card with no magnetic swipe strip on it at ALL.

“If you don’t ask - you don’t get”.

Do a lot of drivers give false bank details in the hope of not getting paid then :confused:

n

I’ve asked about why an agency would want ALL the card details in the past, and this is the answer I got:

"We require the 3-digit code and big number on the front, in case we accidentally over-pay you, and require your consent to take back that overpayment. That is the ONLY time the card will be used in this way. Giving those details - is your consent. "

I asked “Do I need to give such consent to sign up here”?

No, but you’ll be offered less work on PAYE if you don’t.

Why’s that?

Because the highest chance of you being overpaid - is when you’re on PAYE and we accidentally pay you for example, the Self-Employed rate rather than the PAYE rate.

As I always sign up PAYE - I then decided it would be a good idea to just walk away at that point. :sunglasses: :grimacing:

Winseer:
"We require the 3-digit code and big number on the front, in case we accidentally over-pay you, and require your consent to take back that overpayment. That is the ONLY time the card will be used in this way. Giving those details - is your consent. "

oh my god, you can’t make it up…

n

v

Dinsdale:

Winseer:
I’ve asked about why an agency would want ALL the card details in the past, and this is the answer I got:

I asked “Do I need to give such consent to sign up here”?

No, but you’ll be offered less work on PAYE if you don’t.

Why’s that?

Because the highest chance of you being overpaid - is when you’re on PAYE and we accidentally pay you for example, the Self-Employed rate rather than the PAYE rate.

As I always sign up PAYE - I then decided it would be a good idea to just walk away at that point. :sunglasses: :grimacing:

Still sounds dodgy to me and that sounds like a poor excuse only a agency could make and personally in 30 years of trucking i’ve never come across anything like this before whether it be regular or agency employment,needless to say they won’t be getting anything from me.

You probably wont be getting anything from them either, so every bodies happy.

n

Dinsdale:
Actually they have called and e-mailed me since asking if i’d still be interested but as i’m not desperate i decided against it.

Hang on…

Sooner or later you will have to give your bank details to an agency. Why not go with this lot if they are offering suitable work at decent rates? Just give them your account number, sort code and NI number which is all they need to pay you.

n

I’m not missing…

The point, I read your origional post and in the same circumstances I’d have declined to give them my bank card (which incidentally doesn’t have my account number or sort code on it anyway) but I would have offered my account number and sort code.

Sooner or later, you have to give your banking details to one agency or another, why not this one if they are offering work? If you don’t trust them to pay you at all or shaft you with crap jobs that’s a different matter altogether.

Dinsdale:
Here’s a new one,i went to register with a agency and in the signing up process of proving my identity they insisted i allow them a copy of my bank card they say it was to prove bank details,so naturally i declined seemed like an attempt at fraud to me i’ve never been asked this before.

I can’t see the problem. What details do you have on the front of your card that anyone could commit fraud with? The security numbers on the back, now that’s different. Sometimes they want a copy (never let the card out of your sight), but usually they’ll settle for the bank account details written down by you, or them. Every agency I’ve been to require this. AS tachograph says, how else would they pay you?

n

n

n

Dinsdale:

Grandpa:

Dinsdale:

I can’t see the problem. What details do you have on the front of your card that anyone could commit fraud with? The security numbers on the back, now that’s different. Sometimes they want a copy (never let the card out of your sight), but usually they’ll settle for the bank account details written down by you, or them. Every agency I’ve been to require this. AS tachograph says, how else would they pay you?

Grandpa the problem is they wanted to photocopy my bank card so taking it away from me and potentially copying the CVV number and now having the 16 card number on the front as well as the 8 digit number which is the only one they really need,and i wouldn’t let them for obvious reasons

That’s fine though as long as you don’t let the card out of your sight so they can’t copy the security numbers on the back. Without those security numbers your card is worthless. I think they’d perfectly understand if you said I can’t let the card out of my sight for obvious security reasons, but I’ll stand by the side of you whilst you do the photocopy. Personally, I already have a photocopy of the front of my card that I take with me to interviews.