Daily rest question.

Hi all, just a quick question about daily rest, still can’t get my head round this scenario…

If I work a 15 hour day followed by a 9 hour rest does this count as 2 of my reduced daily rests?

This week for example…

Mon 0550 to 1950
Tue 0800 to 1940
Wed 0730 to 2010
Thu 0545 to xxxx

If I finish after 1845 Thursday do I need 11 hours rest before starting work Friday?

Just want some clarification before I speak to the boss.

Thanks in advance.

Jibber:
If I work a 15 hour day followed by a 9 hour rest does this count as 2 of my reduced daily rests?

No - only one because you have had one reduced daily rest in the 24 hour period from when you started the shift

Jibber:
Thu 0545 to xxxx

If I finish after 1845 Thursday do I need 11 hours rest before starting work Friday?

There isn’t 11 hours remaining in this world if you finish after 1845. All your rest must be completed in the 24 hrs period after starting work. So there would be less than 11 hours available.

If you have at least 9 hrs rest within the 24 hrs starting 0545 it would be your 2nd reduced rest.

Would love to know how you thought you’d had 2 reduced rests by Monday?

Jibber:
Hi all, just a quick question about daily rest, still can’t get my head round this scenario…

This week for example…

Mon 0550 to 1950 (Reduced because 19:50 Monday to 05:50 Tuesday (24 hour period) is 10 hours)
Tue 0800 to 1940
Wed 0730 to 2010 (Reduced because 20:10 Wednesday to 05:45 Thursday is a daily rest period of 9 hr 35 min)
Thu 0545 to xxxx (18:45)

Just want some clarification before I speak to the boss.

Thanks in advance.

If you just want to read the answer to your question without the explanation skip to the bottom line :smiley:

The regulations require you to have a daily rest period of 11 hours within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift, this can be reduced to 9 hours 3 times between weekly rest periods.
Any rest taken outside of the 24 hour period from the start of the shift does not count towards the daily rest period.
So a shift of 14 hours followed by a rest period of 11 hours is still a reduced daily rest period because only 10 hours of the rest period will fall within the period of 24 hours.

The 13 hour day that people talk about comes from the fact that if you have a regular daily rest period of 11 hours within the period of 24 hours you can only do a shift of 13 hours (13 shift +11 rest = 24 hours from the start of the shift).
Likewise if you have a reduced daily rest period of 9 hours the maximum shift you can do is 15 hours (15 hour shift + 9 hours rest = 24 hours from the start of the shift).

The regulations do not stipulate that you can only work 13 or 15 hours they only stipulate that you must have a daily rest period of 11 or 9 hours within the period of 24 hours.

In your example above you’ve had only 2 reduced daily rest periods so you have 1 left before your weekly rest period.

The short answer is that if you finish by 18:45 Thursday you do not need 11 hours rest before starting work on Friday as long as you are sure that you will not need a reduced daily rest period after Fridays shift.

Can you work?

Monday: 15 hours work, 9 hours reduced daily rest
Tuesday: 15 hours work, 9 hours reduced daily rest
Wednesday: 15 hours work, 9 hours reduced daily rest
Thursday: 15 hours work, 45 hours weekly break

I doubt that you can, because I suspect that you still need a daily rest on the last working day of the week, even though it will be running concurrently with the 45 hours weekly break.

carlston49:
Can you work?

No because you have to have a daily rest period within the period of 24 hours even on the last day of the working week, the fact that the daily rest period will be extended into a weekly rest period does not negate the need for a daily rest period.

edit: You must have edited your post to add the last line while I was typing, you’re right though you still need a daily rest period on the last day of the working week.

tachograph:

carlston49:
Can you work?

No because you have to have a daily rest period within the period of 24 hours even on the last day of the working week, the fact that the daily rest period will be extended into a weekly rest period does not negate the need for a daily rest period.

edit: You must have edited your post to add the last line while I was typing, you’re right though you still need a daily rest period on the last day of the working week.

That makes sense, because if you didn’t need a daily rest on the last day of the week, an employer could ask you to work a 24 hour shift on the last day.

tachograph:
[
Wed 0730 to 2010 (Reduced because 20:10 Wednesday to 05:45 Thursday is a daily rest period of 9 hr 35 min)
]

I missed that one. Glad I don’t work anything like this.