daily rest

Stupid question i think but just want to clarify before i come a cropper.

So this week i started work…
1900 tuesday and finished 07:30 wednesday
19:00 wednesday and finished thursday 07:45
18:00 thursday and finished friday 07:05
18:15 friday and finished 07:35 today
tonight i am due to start at 20:00

Question is how many reduced rests have i had as each rest period is over 11 hours. I think i have used two as i have a vague memory of the 24 hours starting from when i clocked on. ie for example thursdays shift i would of had to finish by 07:00 friday morning to be able to count it as a full daily rest.

Doing in in my head, you’ve had an11hr30 min
a 10hr 15min
a 10hr 55 min
and a 10 hr 40 min daily rest.
If I’m right,you’ve used all your reduced rests which are available to you until you’ve had your next weekly rest.

Old John:
Doing in in my head, you’ve had an11hr30 min
a 10hr 15min
a 10hr 55 min
and a 10 hr 40 min daily rest.
If I’m right,you’ve used all your reduced rests which are available to you until you’ve had your next weekly rest.

after tonights shift i am on my full weekly rest however do i still need to finish by 09:00 tomorrow morning?

I also calculate that you have already used three reduced rests. Yes, you will have to finish by 09:00 tomorrow morning if you start at 20:00

thanks all

I find it helpfull to keep a diary in the lorry, a week to view is best.
Among other things, i enter my start and finish times for each shift, and at the BEGINNING of each shift (from the second one on), I record whether I’ve had a full, or a reduced rest. It’s dead easy, and you can see at a glance where you stand from one day to another.
Remember that you can have a reduced rest by starting your next shift less than 24 hrs after the one you’ve just finished, if, for example, you have had a shorter working period for some reason, but you can’t make a full rest by extending your daily rest into the next 24hr period.
It looks as though you understand that already though.

Ignore me

As said you’ve already had three reduced daily rest periods so if you started at 20:00 tonight you will need to be finished work by 09:00 tomorrow.

The fact that you’re starting a weekly rest period does not mean you can ignore the daily rest requirement of 11 hours rest within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.

Old John:
I find it helpfull to keep a diary in the lorry, a week to view is best.
Among other things, i enter my start and finish times for each shift, and at the BEGINNING of each shift (from the second one on), I record whether I’ve had a full, or a reduced rest. It’s dead easy, and you can see at a glance where you stand from one day to another.
Remember that you can have a reduced rest by starting your next shift less than 24 hrs after the one you’ve just finished, if, for example, you have had a shorter working period for some reason, but you can’t make a full rest by extending your daily rest into the next 24hr period.
It looks as though you understand that already though.

Superb advice.
Also record >9 hour drives & registration number of vehicles.

Using only the tech for recording this stuff is like using a sat nav - it helps but you will take longer to learn.
A good visual, manually created record will help things stick in the memory sooner. It will also look good during a roadside check.

When you start a shift a 24 hour countdown timer effectively begins.

When the timer in theory goes off or before you must have finished the shift and had either at least 11 hours off on rest, or 3 times between weekly rest periods you can reduce it from 11 to 9 hours. So a weekly rest at any point of at least 24 hours will reset the 3x9.

So as soon as you do 13:01 duty, you can no longer fit 11 hours of rest in before the 24 hours are up, so you will use 1 reduced rest, even if you have more than 11 hours off. It’s the reduced rest that allows you to do a 15 hour duty

You also have split rests, 3 hours on rest in 1 block during the shift at some point, then 9 off all within the 24 hour period again

Multi Manning, when there are 2 drivers present, although that is optional for the 1st hour and it doesn’t have to be the same driver throughout the shift. Then you use a 30 hour period instead of the 24, but it all works the same.