a question

I’m about to ask a question that is a bit ambiguous and a bit strange but im confused. Am I correct in thinking that if I were to do a 15 hr shift that automatically puts me on a 9 hr reduced rest regardless? For example I cannot do 15 hrs then 11 off and still have 3 9’s left? Also… if I do a 13 hr shift reduce my rest to 9 does that mean I can only do 2 15’s the rest of the week…? Does this make any sense to anyone because I’m struggling to put it in words

jimmypk:
1 - Am I correct in thinking that if I were to do a 15 hr shift that automatically puts me on a 9 hr reduced rest regardless?
2 - For example I cannot do 15 hrs then 11 off and still have 3 9’s left?
3 - Also… if I do a 13 hr shift reduce my rest to 9 does that mean I can only do 2 15’s the rest of the week…?

1 - yes
2 - correct - you cannot
3 - yes

If you do a shift over 13 hours then that is a reduced
If you have less than 11 hours off between shifts then that is a reduced

Max 3 reduced between any two weekly rests (usually any period of at least 24 hours off)

jimmypk:
I’m about to ask a question that is a bit ambiguous and a bit strange but im confused. Am I correct in thinking that if I were to do a 15 hr shift that automatically puts me on a 9 hr reduced rest regardless? For example I cannot do 15 hrs then 11 off and still have 3 9’s left? Also… if I do a 13 hr shift reduce my rest to 9 does that mean I can only do 2 15’s the rest of the week…? Does this make any sense to anyone because I’m struggling to put it in words

You can have 3 reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods
A regular daily rest period is 11 or more hours rest.
A reduced daily rest period is a rest period that’s at-least 9 hours but less than 11 hours.
The daily rest period has to be completed within 24 hours from the start of the shift.

If you do a 15 hour spread-over from start to end of the shift you can only get 9 hours rest into the 24 hour period from the start of the shift (15 hours shift + 9 hours rest = 24 hours), so even if you had 11 hours off after a 15 hour shift only the 9 of those hours that fitted into the 24 hour period would count for the daily rest period.

So yes when you do a 15 hour shift you are having a reduced daily rest period.

There is a split daily rest period where you have 3 consecutive hours rest during the shift and 9 hours after the shift and that doesn’t count as a reduced daily rest period, but you need to fully understand regular and reduced daily rest periods before bothering about split daily rest periods.

If you do a 13 hour shift then have a 9 hour rest period that is also a reduced daily rest period, so you would only have 2 more reduced daily rest periods left before the next weekly rest period.

Best thing to avoid this kind of confusion is to stop thinking about 15’s and 13’s and think about the rest periods instead. You could do -

Resume after weekly rest.
Monday - 13 hour shift, 10 hours rest
Tuesday - 12 hour shift, 9 hours rest
Wednesday 10 hour shift, 9.5 hours rest

You haven’t done ‘a 15’ but you don’t have any available before your next weekly rest. The regulations don’t mention a 15 or 13 anywhere.

Cheers guys I thought that was right I just got confused about what effect a 15 hrs shift would have on my remaining hours so because I reduce my rest tonight means I only have 2 reduced rest left therefore by default lose a 15. Just needed clarification. I’m surprised I have never been caught out before I have been driving class 2 for 2 years and was only brought to my attention when I started class 1 container work