From engineer to C+E newbie - my 3 first month's experience

Inspired by the ‘falling interest in TNUK’, I thought I would share my experience as a new starter to the trucking world. I am a regular browser of the forum, but alas have little to contribute as a newbie.

Who knows, maybe this is useful to other potential new starters – maybe it is just the waffling of a naive newbie to the world many of you have inhabited for decades. Regardless, it turned out quite lengthy - apologies.

My background is in engineering, and I have run teams of engineers with Jaguar Land Rover and a niche Hypercar company most recently. Reaching 50 this year, I have wanted to pack in the politics, stress, hyper-competitive environments and the overall feeling that I am just building things of little value to society, just to sell to the wealthy.

So, in August, I self funded my C+E and passed my tests in the first week of September. My only experience of trucks prior was the occasional 7.5t hire when moving house, and a couple of hours driving an artic round an airfield.

I do consider all driving to be a skill, one that can continually be improved upon and mistakes learned from. I passed my advanced car and motorbike tests previously, and I think these helped me when moving up to the large stuff.

So, September was a happy day with a freshly minted licence, and a complete lack of awareness of how little I actually knew.

I decided early on that the best way for me to get experience would be in at the deep end, via an agency, and going to whatever various jobs I could to broaden my skills. I am fortunate, in that I have earned good money over my career and have a relatively light set of family bills left to service.

This meant I could be rather choosy in what shifts I did, and so I currently only do Monday to Friday days, with the odd Sunday overtime when needed.

My first consistent work was milk tankers with Wincanton, a truly magnificent firm to work for and a great first experience for a newbie – generally taking a trailer to one place, swapping for another, and then taking that one to a third location. Nice modern trucks with satnav, and a nice support structure at the end of a phone if needed.

My next consistent work was with Freightroute, delivering and collecting pallets with an artic curtainsider. This one really taught me how to drive, manouvering particularly. This was all about finding premises with imperfect addresses, often wrong company names as systems have not caught up with name changes and moving of Goods In between premises.

Lots of tight places on industrial estates where none of the workers have car parking, and thus litter the roads both sides with their cars. Many places that were on farms, or in tiny villages so plenty of having to access down tiny roads and through villages with locals brandishing pitchforks at the driver who dares to upset their tranquility.

Most recently, I have been doing some general haulage which has involved going inside the London north circular, another unique experience where places to break are rare, and places to wait to be tipped are even rarer.

Great experience though, and another place where I learned that you just have to react to what you are faced with, and deal with it – no point getting stressed. I cannot just make a 16m 44t vehicle disappear, so other road users are just going to have to cope.

So, after three months, what are my thoughts?

• I am genuinely loving the honesty of this work, the challenge of safely and reliably being in charge of a big, heavy vehicle.
  • I am loving the fact that I start the day knowing what I need to do, I can generally accomplish it during the day giving a feeling of satisfaction, and that I know I can forget about it when I leave the yard to go home.
  • Whilst I have never driven any old trucks, the modern ones are so helpful to us new drivers. Auto gearboxes, comfortable cabs and seats, climate control, cruise control etc. are all great tools helping the driver.
  • As a newbie, never, ever compromise on safety. Don’t rush, don’t cut corners, don’t hesitate to ask for help. When manouvering in tight spaces, stop, get out and look often. Who cares if there is an impatient car driver or two who has to wait a minute.
  • Because I am new, any truck is an exciting experience. The Actros’ that the regular drivers seem to hate, the mirror cams, the 1.3 million mile DAFs – all of them great to me as I have nothing else to compare against.
  • The vast majority of people I interact with during the day are wonderful, helpful and up for some banter. Be that other drivers, loaders, fork lift drivers, security guards, goods in, lovely people who respond to being treated with respect.
  • The knowledge and experience I got during my training and test, prepared me for the test. It understandably, but surprisingly, leaves a vast gap in knowledge compared to what a driver needs in the real world.
  • Agency work is great for experience, particularly as a newbie. You are completely thrown in at the deep end though. You are expected to know everything, and be independent even if they know you are new – ■■■■ it up, and get on with it.
  • The reality of the long hours only hit home when I started, despite reading and ‘knowing’ it would be the case in advance. The days still fly by for me, but there is no social life really possible around the shifts as I am generally working, commuting or sleeping. Luckily, my wife is understanding and my kids are flying the nest, so it fits for now.
  • Being agency, I am paid by the hour. Thus, if the planner wants a ridiculous day from me, at least I am earning fairly – I am struggling to see, at the moment, how that would work on a salaried role, as what the driver wants and the planner wants are absolute polar opposites.
  • Other drivers are both astonishingly helpful, and worryingly miserable. I struggle a little with the interactions that come from the ‘I’ve done this for 30 years, it is all I know, but I really hate it’ section of the driver community.
  • Every now and again, I am enlightened and overjoyed by a simple piece of advice given freely by another driver. When faced with a low bridge mere yards from my destination, a bridge that the Nav and my maps was unaware of, another driver on break nearby was a god-send advising of another route.

Finally, perhaps it is worth me listing the various things that I have so far needed to know, that my test and training simply did not cover. This will all be completely obvious for you experienced types, but may help other newbies. Try not to laugh too much at how simple some of these are!

1. Trying to find a place to take a break when you are on 4h 15m driving time is horribly stressful – start planning way earlier as a newbie.
  2. Even if you know the area and know where the laybys are, understand that they may be closed/full/blocked – you cannot rely on them 100%.
  3. Trying to find a fuel station both HGV sized, and accepting of your company’s specific fuel card is not simple – trying to do this just as the reserve fuel warning comes on is also horribly stressful. Fill up earlier, and when you have chance.
  4. What looks like a long queue for the HGV pumps at a services may well just be opportunistic drivers simply using that bit of free space for a break. Take a little walk and suss out the situation rather than blindly queuing for ages.
  5. Make sure you have plenty of AdBlue before leaving the yard. Chances are your fuel card will not pay for AdBlue, and you were expected to fill from some well hidden storage tank in the yard.
  6. It is way too easy to eat poorly, and expensively whilst out on the road. Trucks cannot be parked in most places, so your choice of places to eat is very limited. Make plenty of healthy food, take it with you.
  7. I was very nervous initially about access to toilets. As it turns out, almost every delivery/collection/customer/RDC site you will be going to will happily let you use theirs – on top of the usual motorway services etc.
    8 ) No matter how well you think you know the various driving, working time and rest directives – the reality of the job day to day will test you regularly. The weekly totals, rest periods and average duty time particularly. I find it relatively easy to get near the 15 hour shift time limit, and that usually knocks on to your start time for the following day also.
  8. Agencies have their own interests at heart, naturally. They will send you to jobs you are not quite ready for – how you cope with this, adapt, ask other drivers for help and just get the job done will really define how much work you get offered.
  9. The client’s planner will ask more of you than you are legally capable of delivering from time to time. This is not necessarily deliberate nor malicious, it is simply that they do not know the reality of traffic, diversions, and waiting times at delivery/collections. Help them, by informing them early of delays/issues/challenges so replanning can be done.
  10. As an agency driver, you are quite rightly lower priority than the company permies. You will get the worst trucks, the less convenient routes, the most demanding delivery locations. Ying and yang to the flexibility and hourly pay of agency – expect it and ■■■■ it up.
  11. I had no idea how to open, nor secure a curtainsider. The securing straps inside the trailer also. Watch videos, ask other drivers, swallow pride and admit you don’t know.
  12. The trailer leg winders have three operating modes, normal speed, slow speed and neutral. Depending on where the winder has been left, the legs may do nothing (or appear to do nothing). Try pushing the winder in, or pulling it out.
  13. Half the trailers you hook up to have an air leak. Fact of life. Most are minor, and are not a significant concern proving the truck fills and maintains air pressure quickly. I still don’t truly know at what point to defect a trailer vs. just accepting and carrying on.
  14. In my experience, 20% of the trailers I hook up to have a light out. 95% of the time, it is the Susie connections rather than the trailer, unplug, re-plug, restest.
  15. Sometimes, unlocking a trailer fifth wheel from a parked trailer/tractor combination is hard. Dog clip out, but the fifth wheel simply won’t release – no matter how hard you are pulling the release lever. Try reversing the tractor a little, raising or lowering the tractor suspension – basically just changing the angle and distance.
  16. Be very aware of the type of surface you are on when disconnecting a loaded trailer. The legs will go through inappropriate surface as they have lots of weight through them. If in doubt, find something to put under the legs and spread the load.
  17. Connecting up to a trailer that has been parked for a while, and its suspension down on its bump stops is a bigger challenge. The fifth wheel pin will now be significantly higher than you need. Raise the truck suspension as high as it can go, connecting the air lines to build trailer suspension height will help. Failing all that, you can wind the trailer down using the leg winder on low speed (very hard to see it actually moving unless you have put the fifth wheel under the front of the trailer).
  18. Safely securing the spare strap of a ratchet once the load is secured is a dark art. Again, watch videos. If you don’t, you will be stopping every 20 miles to re-stow strap tails flailing in the wind.
  19. The CPC mod 4 test shows you how to use a ratchet strap and chains, but nobody tells you how best to use these for whatever random load you have today. Spend time watching other trailers/drivers/loads whenever you are driving and get a feel for how everyone else does it. To start with, use more straps than necessary to be safe.
  20. Have a truck satnav and a paper map. Always. You may not need both every day, but there will be plenty of times where you will up a creek sans paddle without. I use the Co-pilot satnav app at £8.99 per month, highly recommended.
  21. In my experience, gloves that are both waterproof, and allow you enough feel to do susies/straps/etc. have not been invented yet. Accept it, your hands will get wet and dirty.
  22. Good, warm, waterproof hi-viz clothing is important, and magnificent. Just like riding motorbikes though, kit that works for the winter will be useless for the summer.
  23. The words ‘Road closed, diversion’ are the stuff of nightmares for a new driver. Relax, find somewhere to stop, take some time to plan where next.
  24. When delivering to a new place, there is a very good chance that the business will not be at the address given. It may have changed name, it may have moved 200 metres, it may be such a long standing customer that the driver is just expected to know. Google maps is your saviour at this point.
  25. The simple, and sensible piece of information like a phone number for the customer? Useless! They will not answer the phone, and if they do, they will know nothing about where the delivery needs to be. Try the number, don’t worry about being disappointed.
  26. Sometimes even Google maps will not help, if the address or company name is completely wrong. At this point, look at exactly what you are delivering and try and guess what industry is likely to want that product – then google places in that industry, close by. Delivering drums of some sort of chemical, look for a nearby chemical plant on Google maps.
  27. When a place you are driving toward gets close, and the roads are starting to get really tight, stop. Get out, and walk the next few hundred metres. Going wrong, and then having to reverse/turn the truck as a newbie is not worth the two minute delay from exploring on foot.
  28. When manouvering in tight spaces with lots of lock and trailer deflection, the trailer tail swing can be significant. The front of the trailer will also describe a much wider ark than the cab. Just because the tractor unit has got through that hard left turn, right up against the right gate post, the front of the trailer likely will not.
  29. If there is someone about willing, or offering to be a banksman when reversing - use them. Their attempts to instruct you are likely to be unhelpful, but they are an invaluable set of eyes to stop you hitting the fence/car/bollard that you did not see.

Any other tips and tricks worth sharing?

Hope this is useful to someone, somewhere :sunglasses:

Martin.

A brilliant insight into your new career!!! I have been a long time user on here, but never done anything about it. Until this year, after 33 years a a Vehicle Technician and aged 49 I got my hgv provisional, did my cpc and now have a taco card and drivers card (grandfather rights on 7.5t) Just need some spare cash to do my training for HGV and then hopefully be ready to change career next year.
All the best in your new Career.

Neil

Hey Martin. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience so far. It sounds like you are really enjoying it and learning lots in a short period of time!

Great post Martin, thank you!

That was really useful. Thanks

Awesome insight!

Hi M33-ZX6RR,Ishould not be really posting on this topic[as im 78 and spent nearly all my working life driving] however i have read all that you have said and your honesty,also your 30 does and don’ts are SPOT on for any newcomer to driving my only comment is why not buy a PAPER MAP [MICHELIEN] how do you think we went on before any of the technology now in driving…

if your interested if you go to “the old time drivers and companies” posts and go to page 21 scroll down to" MY DRIVING HISTORY FROM 1980" IT IS PART OF MY STORY.it will give you some sort of incite that the majority of drivers experiences well mine.it started after the 1979/80 lorry drivers strike for £5 per hour 8 weeks…dbp.

Pretty good advice, although from my good number of years experience I’d certainly advise caution with the last one.

Don’t rely on your banksman (informal or otherwise) to give you clear and precise instructions. Many a time they will fail to stop you in time or will insist that you get the back of the vehicle ‘here’ when in fact doing so will mean you are getting in a muddle at the front. They also have a habit of disappearing from view. When this happens you need to stop and locate them.

Educate them if needed to make sure they can see you in a mirror at all times, and to give big arm movements. Small hand gestures ( stop sniggering at the backmof class ) are hard to see. Both arms extended above the head beckoning is what you need.

Before starting to turn round, or perform some such antics it is often worth gettingnoutbof the seat and having a walk around to see for yourself what might not be obvious. Dodgy drain cover, low wire, awkwardly placed bin can all give you a headache. If you’ve had a look, you have a rough idea of what is there to miss, or you can move it in advance.

Lower the windows when reversing, you’ll hear a cry of stop; crunch or aaargh before it gets worse. Sometimes worth killing the reversing beeper if you have a banksmen so you hear them.

MJJ_ZX6RR:
25) When delivering to a new place, there is a very good chance that the business will not be at the address given. It may have changed name, it may have moved 200 metres, it may be such a long standing customer that the driver is just expected to know. Google maps is your saviour at this point.

For finding addresses where the postcode gives a vague area or Google Maps doesn’t assist, you could try https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/. You get a few searches a day on there and it essentially pinpoints exact locations of residential and commercial properties. It uses the database that the Royal Mail uses where each property has a number and an exact location.

If you cross-reference with Google Maps, you can get the co-ordinates and keep the entry in a simple address book app on your phone. I use Google Maps satellite view to further pinpoint for the delivery point, which quite often is a different access route to the front door.

Sounds like you will have this malarkey down to a fine art within a year or so, which is perfectly possible if you are quite analytical about it and strive to be better. Similar to you, I see the development as a bit of a journey to occupy oneself with rather than being a chore to put up with.

I find driving gives a good opportunity to listen to programmes, podcasts etc, which few jobs would give the opportunity to do too. :smiley:

Similar story to mine 32 years as an electrician .passed my Class 1 last week, after finally getting round to it .Still waiting for my 1st job .Thanks for the info.

Hi, same here passed my lgv c+e early October this year after driving coaches for 30 years.planning on doing some class 1 work in the new year now, but still driving coaches for now till something local comes up as i don’t really want to travel to far for work.looking forward to it though. good luck anyway.

I came from a middle management job and hated the person I had become. The old saying that it is lonely at the top and watch your back comes to mind and the bosses above you blaming you for their mistakes or the people at your level trying to stitch you up for brownie points. Watching all my staff do the real work was disheartening and I had no sense of accomplishment for the work I did. Plus it was impossible for myself to implement change to make my staff lives easier and better because there was no profit in it but staff retention was terrible because of it. I was a manager of my people as it should be but it had become increasingly apparent that they wanted a manager to get things done no matter the cost which is against my ethos.

I also self funded myself as I had been 15 years in that industry (Food manufacturing). I am an avid track day goer and have driven on the continent a lot so do enjoy driving but those who say driving a lorry to decent standard all it takes is “two weeks” are talking complete rubbish. I can only say now 9 months on that I feel like a qualified lorry driver but I have still a long way to go with road knowledge.

Yes the hours are long and I get paid less per hour than my previous job but the quality of my life has changed completely. I am only 6 miles from depot instead of 15-20. I am my own boss so responsible for my own actions only and not those of 50+ more and the job satisfaction is immense compared to before. When I go home at the end of the day I really feel like I have achieved something.

Do I hate getting up at 3am? Yes but at the same time I enjoy going to bed the previous night knowing I am going to be in a truck the next day.

I work for one of the big firms and they have been nothing but great. In my old place of work you either worked their shift or you were out on your arse at all levels. These guys will let you work what shift you want and what start times you want. I only work 3.5 days a week but maximise my hours on those days so I still get a decent wage.

AdamST205:
I came from a middle management job and hated the person I had become. The old saying that it is lonely at the top and watch your back comes to mind and the bosses above you blaming you for their mistakes or the people at your level trying to stitch you up for brownie points. Watching all my staff do the real work was disheartening and I had no sense of accomplishment for the work I did. Plus it was impossible for myself to implement change to make my staff lives easier and better because there was no profit in it but staff retention was terrible because of it. I was a manager of my people as it should be but it had become increasingly apparent that they wanted a manager to get things done no matter the cost which is against my ethos.

I also self funded myself as I had been 15 years in that industry (Food manufacturing). I am an avid track day goer and have driven on the continent a lot so do enjoy driving but those who say driving a lorry to decent standard all it takes is “two weeks” are talking complete rubbish. I can only say now 9 months on that I feel like a qualified lorry driver but I have still a long way to go with road knowledge.

Yes the hours are long and I get paid less per hour than my previous job but the quality of my life has changed completely. I am only 6 miles from depot instead of 15-20. I am my own boss so responsible for my own actions only and not those of 50+ more and the job satisfaction is immense compared to before. When I go home at the end of the day I really feel like I have achieved something.

Do I hate getting up at 3am? Yes but at the same time I enjoy going to bed the previous night knowing I am going to be in a truck the next day.

I work for one of the big firms and they have been nothing but great. In my old place of work you either worked their shift or you were out on your arse at all levels. These guys will let you work what shift you want and what start times you want. I only work 3.5 days a week but maximise my hours on those days so I still get a decent wage.

Thanks for sharing, really resonates with what I was trying to describe in my original post and so pleased to hear you are still enjoying the change six months further down the line to me.

I halved my salary, but more than doubled the amount of pride, satisfaction and enjoyment I get from a job.

Martin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well written Martin :smiley:

Dave

Good post Martin.

You sound like a glass half full sort of chap, that obviously drips off you as you go about your day so you get positive reactions on the whole, all goes to making the job enjoyable instead of the grind the miserable glass half empty crew find.

This is my first post. Enjoyed your story I passed end of October currently looking for first job. Trying agencies as well as companies directly. Can you recommend any agencies?

Thanks

MJJ_ZX6RR:
Inspired by the ‘falling interest in TNUK’, I thought I would share my experience as a new starter to the trucking world. I am a regular browser of the forum, but alas have little to contribute as a newbie.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your great post. :smiley:

I differ with you on one point though… you’ve contributed an excellent post that IMHO many will find very inspiring, which is the very ethos of the Newbies’ Forum.

MJJ_ZX6RR:
Any other tips and tricks worth sharing?

Hope this is useful to someone, somewhere :sunglasses:

Martin.

I was a newbie in 1980 after passing my C+E in 1979, so I don’t have anything relevant to add to your comprehensive post, except that I think it will be very useful to lots of people. :wink: :smiley:

Crinkle Crags:
This is my first post. Enjoyed your story I passed end of October currently looking for first job. Trying agencies as well as companies directly. Can you recommend any agencies?

Thanks

Welcome, and congratulations on the pass. My only agency experience is Pertemps, and they have been pretty good. Discussing with other agency drivers at some of the clients I have worked at suggests that Ancorra have even more presence, and jobs for agency drivers. So, I can recommend those two.

My view on agency driving as a newbie has changed a little since my first post - mainly as the last month has been different to my first three months and I don’t know which is normal. When I started in Sept, there was lots of Class 1 work available to me as a brand new driver. For the last 4-6 weeks, there has been no Class 1 work offered to me and so I have been doing some Class 2 - I initially tried not to do that, but now realise it is still great experience for a newbie Class 1 driver.

Looking at some other threads on here, it seems like work typically drops off hugely for agency in January so don’t be disheartened right now.

What I have learned about my specific agency, not sure how common this is in the wider agency world:

• The individuals working in agencies seem to focus their attention on the annoying, and persistent drivers. If I don’t call them, they don’t offer work despite knowing my availability. If I do call them, chances are there is work for the next day/week. I often do a few weeks in a row at the same end client, but still need to ring the agency every Friday morning to get booked back in for the following week.
  • You need to be seen as trustworthy by the agency, and can safely represent them at an end client. If necessary, doing smaller vehicle work is wise to build that reputation - at that point they can feel more confident to offer more.

So, I would suggest registering with multiple agencies, and phone them persistently whilst being friendly. ‘Hi, it’s X, I am one of your agency drivers. Just calling to see if you have any work for me?’ every couple of days works wonders.

Martin.

Crinkle Crags:

Thanks

A few of the big national agencies are:

Blue Arrow, Agency Drivers’ Network (ADR), Pertemps, Manpower (possibly a few more).

Driver Hire may come up in a search online, but be aware that these are franchises, which use the Driver Hire name but are separate businesses.

Then there are the local agencies, which can also having good contracts, but perhaps can be a bit hit and miss in terms of how well they are run and having good procedures for pay and taking holidays etc. Often dubious umbrella pay schemes can be offered under the pretence you will be better off.