New Member, Just Joined (Story Included!)

■■■■, i wished i had know about this forum when i’d just started my C+E career, it would have been a Godsend :smiley:

Anyways, i hail from sunny Fife in Scotland and have been driving artics for just over 4 months.

Quick summary follows:-

I’ve loved driving cars since i passed my test 19 years ago but never thought much about upgrading to a lorry, and then when i did think about it i never had enough money (catch 22 as usual).

I had a lot of low paid unskilled manual jobs and a couple of years ago i thought sod this and managed to scrape enough money up to go for my class C. Luckily enough passed first time with 5 minors, well chuffed i was :smiley:

I was still working at my crappy day job though so applied for as many jobs as i could see that were advertised and also sent CV’s off to all the local haulage companied, etc. I didn’t really want to do agency work at this time, just because i wanted the weekly/monthly pay that i knew would come in from my regular job to pay the mortgage, bills, etc.

After hearing nothing for a month or so i came into a wee bit of money through a relative so decided to go ahead and book my C+E. Both my courses were booked through Go Ahead Training in Kirkcaldy Fife, and the driving/tests were taken up at Perth. Anyways was really pleased how things went and passed my C+E first time as well, with 2 minors.

Couple of days after that, a job i had applied for rang through and i managed to secure an interview. It was only a 7.5t but it had a really decent pay (19k) which was a lot more than what i was on and i thought that at least that would give me some experience as it involved driving all over Scotland and the North of England.

Going down the motorway one day i saw an artic in front of my with one of the ‘We require drivers - telephone xxxxx’ stickers on the back. Made a note in my mobile and phoned it up to get a form sent out. Filled in the form, sent it off and thought nothing of it for about a month. Got a phone call out of the blue asking if i wanted an interview for a job driving an artic.

So since November i’ve taken on by Ramage Distribution out of Glenrothes in Fife with no experience. It’s been a steep learning curve i have to say but i’m definitely getting there.

As i said at the start, if i’d know a lot of the stuff i’ve read on this website over the last few days back then, it would have been a wee bit easier.

Anyways, here’s hoping i can help some newbies starting out and maybe join in on a few posts, etc.

Thanks for listening and keep up the good work :wink:

Welcome XRT, I hope you have as much fun on this forum as I do, and I always learn something each time I log on.

I can’t beleive I beat Rog in welcoming you - he is usually on the ball with welcomes.

As an incentive to those in a dilemma as to whether taking the test is worth it - here’s the answer. Don’t set your initial sights too high, but try to gain whatever experience is available. Good luck with your new career.

Smart Mart:
I can’t beleive I beat Rog in welcoming you - he is usually on the ball with welcomes.

I’ve got to go to the ‘little room’ sometimes :exclamation: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome XRT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

Hello and welcome! I see Rog is back from the bog! :laughing: 19K being “not bad” is a relative thing I suppose.

I would not say no to £19K. I only make £13K on the NHS as a head porter incharge of people/shifts/fire incidents/helicopter landings/restraining patients that are being violent etc.

Cheers

New Blood.

I would not say no to £19K. I only make £13K on the NHS as a head porter incharge of people/shifts/fire incidents/helicopter landings/restraining patients that are being violent etc.

Ah the wonderful Bennion unit :exclamation: :exclamation: :question:

welcome xrt i know some of the drivers in glespin depot and they seem a good big company to work for

ROG:
I’ve got to go to the ‘little room’ sometimes :exclamation: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: to study drivers' hours.:grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

dieseldave:

ROG:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: to study drivers' hours.:grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

It’s the only place that has no window - no fear of snipers in there :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: Hi XRT, WELCOME.:grimacing:

That’s a great story and it goes to show just what can be achieved with a bit of effort. :wink:
Your test scores are impressive too, so:
:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS XRT :smiley: :smiley:

I hope your story inspires other newbies, so thanks for taking the time to post it. :smiley:

ROG:

Ah the wonderful Bennion unit :exclamation: :exclamation: :question:

Not any more ROG. We do not have a contract with them anymore. It is just the normal wards. We have had chairs beeing thrown about etc. It can be quite bad sometimes. Lucky enough though, it is few and far between now.

Cheers

New Blood.

Welcome XRT
This forum is a good place to be if you have any queries or just want to chill for an hour.
Nice to have you on board.

Welcome XRT hope you enjoy the forums and please join in

We have other members in your neck of the woods and I am not that far away

Hi XRT,
and welcome to the forum they are a great bunch of guys on here so you will enjoy the forums you,ll find a wealth of information :wink: :wink: :wink:

Welcome person from Fife :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello and welcome :smiley:

Many thanks for the warm welcome guys and also the nice comments too :blush:

Hopefully i’ll be around for a good while :wink:

Now to start some newbie question threads :smiley:

nice one xrt, is Richard still in the transport office at Southfield, i was in with them through the agency for a while running through to glespin on day shift, nice cushy number.