Start my C+E training on Thursday 22/3/2012

Hi Guys, just to say I’ve not posted for some time as I’ve been out earning a crust since passing my class C last May. I think that I have been fairly lucky in that this is my second class C job since May. The first was for a local builders supply company on their 12tonne hiab mounted truck. Multi drops and all of that round the lanes of South ■■■■■■■■ some what of a learning curve I should say.

I was contacted by an agency and did a number of weeks in my old profession as a Site Manager on a building site. It only lasted 8 weeks :imp: but these things happen. While on this job there was a haulage/ groundworks contractor, so I spoke to their foreman and ended up having a meeting with his director the following day. Started work for them on the Monday and that was back in Sept, been their ever since driving an 8 wheeled tipper on all manor of surfaces, even ice and snow :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . Got very quite around Christmas with a number of lay offs and the like but I stayed with it through crap weather and here I am now.

So back to the heading, yes I start my C+E training with Lancaster Training Services (did class C with them) on Thursday in a very nice Scania tractor unit. They took delivery of them when I was there in May and was allowed to sit in one (sad I know but I have a mental age of a 6 year old according to the wife :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: ) just can’t help myself. Looking forward to it is an under statement. I might be turning in to some sort of truck geek as I’m watching reversing clips and such like to get a better idea of what I have let myself in for.

I guess I will have to post on how I get on or not as the case may be. Fingers crossed.

Hello mcc46
well done for deciding to go for your c+e licence. Its all very fresh in my my having done my training this week, having a good fail on Thursday.

I think your experence in cat 2 work will be a great help to you. Listen to your trainer, drive how he tells you to.

When it comes to the reversing you will probably find it easer than in a rigid once you get the hang of it

Please keep us posted how you get on. if you do you will get lots of support from the members on this forum.

One again best wishes with your traing and test. And im sure you will sleep very well next week.
Mike

I think RedLorryMan has got most points in there. I also watched YouTube clips of reversing many times. It gives you an idea, although you can’t beat practise in the real thing.

Best of luck with your training and test. And I look forward to your diary :wink:

Dean

Yes, the clips can be handy. But be aware of the new reversing area dimensions. Principles are the same but after that …? So have a look at the clips but pay attention to your instructor’s advice.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers guys. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Peter, am I right in thinking that the area is smaller than what it was before Christmas as I’m sure that I’ve read somewhere that this was going to come in to operation soon.

mcc46:
Cheers guys. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Peter, am I right in thinking that the area is smaller than what it was before Christmas as I’m sure that I’ve read somewhere that this was going to come in to operation soon.

I know I’m not Peter, but I know the answer. :stuck_out_tongue: (sorry Peter for stealing the answer)

Its true it is shorter than before Christmas, but I feel its easier, as I was allowed to try both to see what I think. But guess its personal preference.

Gareth

The target date for national implementation of the new dimensions is just next week.

The width reduces from 18m to 11m whilst the length reduces from 5 vehicle lengths to 4.

I train with drawbars and there is no doubt this has played into our hands.

Hopefully your chosen trainer will be up to speed with the different techniques required.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Have you now implemented the new reversing sizes Pete?

Have you now implemented the new reversing sizes Pete?

Last October. As soon as I realised it was going to be advantagious we got the area re-marked. Never looked back. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well the night before the big day. I’m aiming to get an early night ready for the fun and games of tomorrow. :sunglasses: or may be not.

mcc46:
Well the night before the big day. I’m aiming to get an early night ready for the fun and games of tomorrow. :sunglasses: or may be not.

Ditto

mmc46 good luck with your training today, keep us posted how you get on.
Mike

Best of luck for today. Show them how it’s done :wink:

all the best for today listen carefully and most of all enjoy

Jx