New Pass, and my reasons!

Morning all,

been skulking on here for a while, as its quite simply, took months from deciding I was gonna get my truck license, to actually getting it.

I thought about trucking around 12 years ago, but didn’t have the money for the lessons at the time. I’ve always loved driving, motorbikes, engines, all that, however I shelved the idea, and carried on unhappily in the architectural career Now I’m 40, I decided to give it a go, and go straight from Car to Class 1.

D2 forms that never arrived from the DVLA, waiting for medicals, and the DVLA returning my D2 for no reason, plus another 4 months waiting list for my theory, hazard perception and CPC2, and another month or so for the lessons. Passed first time (Class 1), and hands down, it was due to my great instructor, this makes a massive difference imo.

I’ve not jacked my architectural job in with promises of massive truck salaries, as I’m not convinced its all true ( especially after finding this forum! ) But I will be signing up for some agency work, class 1 or 2, not fussed!) and potentially dropping a day a week at work, to make this more flexible. To see if I really like the trucking industry, plus I want to see which path suits me and my interests!

After 24 years doing architecture, its not what it used to be, and becoming a very ‘paperwork’ and finger pointing culture. So hopefully trucking will be a new fresh path for me, it may not pay as well, but im so tired and fed up of the office and the new cultures, that its got to be more fun!

Ant.

TruckingTechnician:
Passed first time (Class 1), and hands down, it was due to my great instructor,

First name of instructor and training school please

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

TruckingTechnician:
Morning all,

been skulking on here for a while, as its quite simply, took months from deciding I was gonna get my truck license, to actually getting it.

I thought about trucking around 12 years ago, but didn’t have the money for the lessons at the time. I’ve always loved driving, motorbikes, engines, all that, however I shelved the idea, and carried on unhappily in the architectural career Now I’m 40, I decided to give it a go, and go straight from Car to Class 1.

D2 forms that never arrived from the DVLA, waiting for medicals, and the DVLA returning my D2 for no reason, plus another 4 months waiting list for my theory, hazard perception and CPC2, and another month or so for the lessons. Passed first time (Class 1), and hands down, it was due to my great instructor, this makes a massive difference imo.

I’ve not jacked my architectural job in with promises of massive truck salaries, as I’m not convinced its all true ( especially after finding this forum! ) But I will be signing up for some agency work, class 1 or 2, not fussed!) and potentially dropping a day a week at work, to make this more flexible. To see if I really like the trucking industry, plus I want to see which path suits me and my interests!

After 24 years doing architecture, its not what it used to be, and becoming a very ‘paperwork’ and finger pointing culture. So hopefully trucking will be a new fresh path for me, it may not pay as well, but im so tired and fed up of the office and the new cultures, that its got to be more fun!

Ant.

Congratulations and well done on passing first time straight from Car to Class 1!

If it’s a standard 9-5 Mon-Fri that you’re currently doing, you could get some agency work once a fortnight to dip your toes in. I’ve been doing that since February this year on Sundays with a supermarket agency and am enjoying it. I don’t know if the novelty will wear off sooner or later, but being paid to get Class 1 experience is working well for me at the moment!

Let us know whereabouts you are based and I’m sure people will have suggestions and recommendations for finding something to work for you.

Cheers guys,

Neil @ SID Training in Newcastle Under Lyme, he was brilliant.

I’m based in stafford, so pretty central to stuff.

I probably should have added I’m a First IAM motorcyclist also, so my road awareness and planning definately helped with going to the trucks, and the forward planning required.

@Gof118, this is what i figured I’d have to do with working my other job. Great suggestion though, thanks!!

TruckingTechnician:
@Gof118, this is what i figured I’d have to do with working my other job. Great suggestion though, thanks!!

No problem at all. I found that Class 1 work was far easier to find for weekend/flexible work. I got my Class 2 licence last August, and didn’t drive a Class 2 vehicle again until after I passed my Class 1 (paid on class 1 rate :slight_smile:). You should have plenty of options in your area though - all the best with it and let us know how you get on.

It is definitely a useful thing to have as a backup plan. It can be a boring lonely job at times but it does pay the bills reasonably well and there is plenty of work for the foreseeable, unless automated vehicles get the green light (can’t see it being any time soon).