What was your first lesson like?

Heya all, I recently had my first lesson (rigid) and I’m at a bit of a loss so coming here to see what your experiences were like.

I don’t think my experience was “normal”, far from it, but would love to hear how your first lesson went to gauge it against what happened in mine 'cause maybe I am overreacting… But honestly, I don’t think I am. Either way it would be good to know for the future as I shop around for a new instructor. Cause it was a bad lesson and I believe the instructor was irresponsible in many ways, not only in the route he took me on for my EVER time in a truck but the lack of prep that was done (no walkaround… we were parked on a busy road so it wasn’t feasible - only internal checks), not to mention the starting off point. I came out of it appalled and angry due to the instructors constant miscommunication (saying for me to do one thing then going back on it in the next breath).

I won’t go too much into detail and instead ask: Did you start your first ever lesson on a main road or in a yard? Did you have any practice in the truck (to get used to the pedals and how the engine responds) in a yard/quiet area (like an industrial estate) and to make sure your seating etc was adjusted correctly, or were you shoved straight onto a busy high speed road? What was your route like? Normal width roads or stupidly narrow country ones where two trucks can’t pass each other unless crawling, with one lane tiny bridges and extreme corners?

Now don’t get me wrong, the route would’ve been fine down the line, on maybe a fourth or fifth lesson (as it seemed extremely challenging even in a car), but for a first timer without any prior knowledge of the route in question it was absurd.

Needless to say I won’t be going back with that instructor… but what should a typical first lesson be like? Thanks!

My 1st class 2 lesson started in the yard, straight out onto normal roads, and from that point driving around test centre routes over 4 days. The 1st day included a notorious country lane bend that had to be approached with the horn sounding. No passing room for 1 truck and 1 car. Went same route on test day.

My first lesson started in a yard, a walk round check and a few reverses, then out onto the road

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

And we did test routes also

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

My day zero (pre-training assessment drive) was reversing around the yard and slow maneuvers. I think I would have driven on the road except it was towards the end of the day and I think there was a risk of things running late, so that didn’t happen unfortunately.

It’s only making the wait for my theory tests so much harder because I’m looking forward to the practical elements! :smiley: :smiley:

As you were on a “proper” lesson, I’d suggest the whole thing seems rushed. I’d expect to start with daily checks, then an easy drive for the first outing.

There’s more than one way to skin a rabbit, they say. But my first lesson looks like:

Personal introduction. Do you smoke? Do you know where the toilets are in the training centre?
Vehicle familiarisation. Walk round, explain what stuff is and what it does and why.
Vehicle controls. Inside the truck, every knob, switch and button explained.
Mirrors. Why are they there? Why 7 of them? Blind spot checks. When to check mirrors as a minimum.
Q + A on above.

From there, I drive for around 20/25 minutes with a full commentary, explaining what I’m doing - and why. Towards the end of the short drive, I’ll ask the candidate for advice on where to position, when to start braking, what to look for etc etc.

Then we swap seats, making sure the driver is comfortable and has good view of mirrors and instrumentation. Point out the lack of dual controls and making the point that, as long as you do as you’re told, we’ll be the best of mates!

Repeat explanation for move off procedure (already covered once during the demo drive).
Q+A on above.
Move off, driving around a quiet industrial estate. Left turns, right turns, quiet roundabouts. Stop, start.
This will continue until I feel the person is sufficiently competent to go on the open road. And then I ask them if they feel comfy to do so. Most do, some prefer to spend a few more minutes on the industrial estate.

Then it’ll be onto the major road - national speed limit - but, very importantly, plenty of overtake opportunities for other road users, loads of width for us so we can enjoy doing more than 25 mph! Some folk will achieve 50 mph, others less. It doesn’t matter.

From there, a choice of routes depending on competence demonstrated thus far. Could be more wide main roads, might well be slightly narrower.

Eventually, we’ll be able to drive around town and the route will be sensibly challenging. Enough to be interesting but well within the ability of the candidate.

The whole essence of lesson one is to concentrate on groundwork. Without that being in place, everything else will simply fall apart.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
There’s more than one way to skin a rabbit, they say. But my first lesson looks like:

Personal introduction. Do you smoke? Do you know where the toilets are in the training centre?
Vehicle familiarisation. Walk round, explain what stuff is and what it does and why.
Mirrors. Why are they there? Why 7 of them? Blind spot checks. When to check mirrors as a minimum.
Q + A on above.

From there, I drive for around 20/25 minutes with a full commentary, explaining what I’m doing - and why. Towards the end of the short drive, I’ll ask the candidate for advice on where to position, when to start braking, what to look for etc etc.

Then we swap seats, making sure the driver is comfortable and has good view of mirrors and instrumentation. Point out the lack of dual controls and making the point that, as long as you do as you’re told, we’ll be the best of mates!

Repeat explanation for move off procedure (already covered once during the demo drive).
Q+A on above.
Move off, driving around a quiet industrial estate. Left turns, right turns, quiet roundabouts. Stop, start.
This will continue until I feel the person is sufficiently competent to go on the open road. And then I ask them if they feel comfy to do so. Most do, some prefer to spend a few more minutes on the industrial estate.

Then it’ll be onto the major road - national speed limit - but, very importantly, plenty of overtake opportunities for other road users, loads of width for us so we can enjoy doing more than 25 mph! Some folk will achieve 50 mph, others less. It doesn’t matter.

From there, a choice of routes depending on competence demonstrated thus far. Could be more wide main roads, might well be slightly narrower.

Eventually, we’ll be able to drive around town and the route will be sensibly challenging. Enough to be interesting but well within the ability of the candidate.

The whole essence of lesson one is to concentrate on groundwork. Without that being in place, everything else will simply fall apart.

Thanks, Pete. That definitely helps and I do wish the instructor had driven the route first (like you mentioned in your setup) explaining positioning etc etc and so I could have an idea of what to expect and how to position the truck. I would’ve at least been a little more prepared for the challenge. Instead what I got was a miserable experience and honestly now my confidence is completely shot. Ah well, lesson learned. I’ll be looking for a more established instructor/company next time around after I rebound from this one.

I’ll be looking for a more established instructor/company next time around after I rebound from this one.

Try the forum sponsor. I’ve trained some of the instructors so the methods are similar to mine.

If you’re more than 70 miles away, take a residential course with free accommodation.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

Q + A on above.

Q+A on above.

I have to say this method of training/initiation into driving a truck seems spot on.

It’s how I was trained to instruct 50 years ago. And it still works!

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

flammen:

I have to say this method of training/initiation into driving a truck seems spot on.

Would probably also be perfect for learning a car, motorcycle or anything [emoji106]

Yes,with variations.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Unfortunately in reality Pete,s way of conducting a 1st lesson.
Is probably copied once in 100 first lessons at best, from trainers, approved or not.

Pete,s way would result in much fewer fails on test day IMO.

Pete S:

I’ll be looking for a more established instructor/company next time around after I rebound from this one.

Try the forum sponsor. I’ve trained some of the instructors so the methods are similar to mine.

If you’re more than 70 miles away, take a residential course with free accommodation.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Wish I could tbh! But it would take a lot of faff to get my UK licence back (had to exchange for Irish) and then I think I would have to redo the cat C theory test and CPC theory test in the UK cause I don’t think provisional statuses transfers over. I even looked into doing lessons in the UK on the Irish provisional (for during the time when I visit family) but doesn’t seem like it’s possible either.

stu675:

flammen:

Would probably also be perfect for learning a car, motorcycle or anything [emoji106]

You’re not wrong…

I think people who’ve driven illegally before having a license are at an advantage in this case, that’s the sad truth though, particularly when it comes to cars and bikes.

Think I did 3 or 4 car lessons before the instructor booked my test, there wasn’t much that they needed to teach me about the vehicle itself, all that prior experience on empty industrial estates and shunting vans and trailers when I left school counted for something…

Hoping for a better experience than the original poster as I’m booked in for my first 4 hour Class 2 lesson next Friday after passing all theories yesterday.
My training providers see loads of first time passes so I’m excited to get started!!

Point out the lack of dual controls and making the point that, as long as you do as you’re told, we’ll be the best of mates!

Pmsl!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dolphin85:
Hoping for a better experience than the original poster as I’m booked in for my first 4 hour Class 2 lesson next Friday after passing all theories yesterday.
My training providers see loads of first time passes so I’m excited to get started!!

Good luck and hope it goes well. You’ve probably already had your lessons, but if not and for anyone else: remember that if your instructor asks you to do something that you’re not comfortable with or you think is dangerous then speak up.

Mazzie:

Dolphin85:

Good luck and hope it goes well. You’ve probably already had your lessons, but if not and for anyone else: remember that if your instructor asks you to do something that you’re not comfortable with or you think is dangerous then speak up.

Pleased to say it went really well!!!
Really didn’t know what to expect but after a quick chat and a guide to what does what, off we went and I drove for the entire 4 hour lesson covering motorways, dual carriageways, roadworks, town centre driving and an hour of reversing in the yard at the end.
Tests booked for 14th and 15th December. Pity I’ve to wait a while to get back behind the wheel. I loved it!