Retest tomorrow

So finally after 5 months of waiting GO LOCKDOWNS[emoji849] sat in hotel waiting for me retest tomorrow at Petes, and sat here think oh (zb) only a daft mistake last time, but it’s a long time got a couple hours practice in before so hopefully work through the nerves and not be a dipstick, and the examiner in a good mood, need to restock the kalms now since left them back in Aberdeen[emoji23] good luck everyone esle waiting on tests!

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Good luck …fingers crossed you having that pass certificate taking back to Aberdeen.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

go and smash it mate , good luck .

Thanks for the kind words but luck didn’t smile on me,

Had a great 2hrs before with Paul, couple minor bits but well to standard then off with the examiner and well it went to pot pretty quickly,
Got lost on the self drive so that started in the panic then then get to a junction which had 2 right turn lanes didn’t notice there where 2 so aimed right, did the mirror checks signal on etc then saw the two went oh [zb] and moved over to the left of the 2…and didn’t check my mirrors properly so acted like a muppet and shoved in front of a car, but kept on going maybe just a minor and a telling off at the end, yup had a pretty good idea Id properly messed up and failed but kept my hopes up a bit but it was obvious after a while no more pull over to the lefts etc then to round it off, had a brain ■■■■ moment last instruction was right turn heading towards the a38, and I knew had messed up the self drive part, so of course you just go straight on unless told.

Well I decided ooo go left for the a38 swiftly got told what are you doing go straight so darted back over to the proper lane and slammed the brakes on for the lights changing at the junction [emoji3525]

So back to the test centre, knew I had failed when through what I did etc said that not being from the area, not relaxing because I have sod all idea where I’m going, but you will get there don’t worry

Sorry for the long post,l and ramble but helped me feel a little less sorry for myself

Gutted mate…Will you be going for retest at PSTT or stopping locally now SquireT?

Cheers mate, oh no going back to PSTT for the retest, I have never done well in exams, training,coursework,doing the job usually get on grand with but the worry and daft decisions always came out in exams so I took the pass protection they offer at PSTT mostly to stop me worrying so much on the first time so have retests covered, and I know my little truck, its a great little puddle jumper!

Back last year when I started off on all of this, picking Petes over locally one of the reasons was I don’t know the roads so I’m less likely to “autopilot” places turns out this worked against me a little but doesn’t stop me wanting to use PSTT for my class 1, I am not giving up!

While still feeling sorry for myself, [zb] off at myself for making such simple and daft mistakes, that if had just been acting like I was on the practice I’d still be smiling like a Cheshire Cat with certificate in hand I know what to work on, and while it will really weigh on my mind a lot next time I’ll find a way around over thinking.

Two thing I will have to say to myself ever day
1)getting the wrong lane doesn’t matter that much, doing something stupid does!

1. no matter how many times you check that mirror look again, a car will aways be closer than you think no matter what!

SquireT:
Cheers mate, oh no going back to PSTT for the retest, I have never done well in exams, training,coursework,doing the job usually get on grand with but the worry and daft decisions always came out in exams so I took the pass protection they offer at PSTT mostly to stop me worrying so much on the first time so have retests covered, and I know my little truck, its a great little puddle jumper!

Back last year when I started off on all of this, picking Petes over locally one of the reasons was I don’t know the roads so I’m less likely to “autopilot” places turns out this worked against me a little but doesn’t stop me wanting to use PSTT for my class 1, I am not giving up!

While still feeling sorry for myself, [zb] off at myself for making such simple and daft mistakes, that if had just been acting like I was on the practice I’d still be smiling like a Cheshire Cat with certificate in hand I know what to work on, and while it will really weigh on my mind a lot next time I’ll find a way around over thinking.

Two thing I will have to say to myself ever day
1)getting the wrong lane doesn’t matter that much, doing something stupid does!

1. no matter how many times you check that mirror look again, a car will aways be closer than you think no matter what!

I’m gutted for ya mate, it took me 3 goes at it and it’s frustrating when you know you can do it, just down to a slight lapse in concentration.
You will smash it next time

Aww Gutted for you mate, Hopefully next time you will pass. I know how you feel im not so great in tests the nerves get the better of you, and then you start to doubt yourself. They way I got around it was just try to treat it like a lesson, you know you can drive but thats the hardest bit just trying to get settled.

Yet even a fail is valuable experience, best advice my instructor gave me was slow slow and slow … just take your time you don’t have to be in a rush to be anywhere, and if you do make a mistake or wrong turn, either go with it ad do so safely or if you can correct do it safely and correctly aswell as it doesn’t matter if you miss a turn, what’s more important is you do the manoeuvre safely. My big thing was alway hitting the kerb on this one tight roundabout I dreaded even going near it, and what you know it comes up on my test :frowning: but slow and steady

Fingers crossed for you though you make it through next time around glad to hear you aint giving up though :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, I will keep cracking on, have read through a few old threads as well on here so don’t feel so daft and that nerves get to many of is, seems a good idea to ignore the examiner as much as possible , will hope for the best next time but overall try not to think about it, I couldn’t ask for a better bunch to be training with and while it is bloody depressing driving back home past thousands of of trucks thinking DOH, eventually will be in a big shiny Volvo flying over the A66 rather than the filthy little one just now :laughing:

I

then get to a junction which had 2 right turn lanes didn’t notice there where 2 so aimed right, did the mirror checks signal on etc then saw the two went oh [zb] and moved over to the left of the 2…and didn’t check my mirrors properly so acted like a muppet and shoved in front of a car,

Sorry to see that it went wrong again.

But I wanted to clear up the point you’ve raised above. Once you’re in a lane, STAY in it! This is such a common issue and it will invariably end in tears. Whilst it is always best to use the left of the available lanes, if other lanes are available there is nothing to stop you using them. You may have made it more difficult to steer around bollards etc but it will normally be possible.

But you must never attempt to change lane at the last minute. And, even if it’s not last minute, why bother? You’re in a lane going where you want to go. Stick with it. The next bit of vital information is that, assuming you’re not in the best lane, dont change lane part way through the turn. Always complete the turn in the lane you’re in. Then, when (and only when) it’s safe, move back to the left lane. The whole thing will be marked on how you do this bit. Nothing else will attract a mark.

It’s easy, of course, for me to sit in front of the keyboard virtually shouting at folks. But I understand the stress you guys are under. That said, stop trying to change lane for no reason - - and the stress will go away!!

Good luck, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete for the wise words, and very much similar Paul had said to me not long before…[emoji3525]

I knew that stick to the lane was what I should have done, had been told and chatted about it on the practice that it’s a common thing to go wrong etc said a few four letter words to myself after I did it, since I could have made the turn if I was careful

I will forever remember it for the rest of my driving life, so hopefully next time I think clearer and panic less, it’s a shame the examiners dont talk to you as you go it’s very quiet in the cab on test which make me more nervous lol

Roll on getting booked back in, another nice drive down and this time stick a post it on the steering wheel saying DON’T PANIC! get it passed eventually

SquireT:
Thanks Pete for the wise words, and very much similar Paul had said to me not long before…[emoji3525]

I knew that stick to the lane was what I should have done, had been told and chatted about it on the practice that it’s a common thing to go wrong etc said a few four letter words to myself after I did it, since I could have made the turn if I was careful

I will forever remember it for the rest of my driving life, so hopefully next time I think clearer and panic less, it’s a shame the examiners dont talk to you as you go it’s very quiet in the cab on test which make me more nervous lol

Roll on getting booked back in, another nice drive down and this time stick a post it on the steering wheel saying DON’T PANIC! get it passed eventually

I am sorry to hear you failed your test mate .
I had done the exact same thing in my training today and my instructor had a proper go at me after that hahahah
dont worry , enjoy your weekend , you are getting closer and closer .

Pete S:

then get to a junction which had 2 right turn lanes didn’t notice there where 2 so aimed right, did the mirror checks signal on etc then saw the two went oh [zb] and moved over to the left of the 2…and didn’t check my mirrors properly so acted like a muppet and shoved in front of a car,

Sorry to see that it went wrong again.

But I wanted to clear up the point you’ve raised above. Once you’re in a lane, STAY in it! This is such a common issue and it will invariably end in tears.

But you must never attempt to change lane at the last minute. And, even if it’s not last minute, why bother? The next bit of vital information is that, assuming you’re not in the best lane, dont change lane part way through the turn. Then, when (and only when) it’s safe, move back to the left lane. The whole thing will be marked on . That said, stop trying to change lane for no reason -

Good luck, Pete S [emoji38] [emoji38]

I think maybe the confusion comes into it Peter is like any m
motorway lanes…don’t road hog and get back in the left hand lane as soon as possible, think that’s why this is happening.

Aye, I agree you have the stay left lane ingrained in your head so much from being in the car etc and years of regular driving that even when your instructors tell you it’s not really a problem when you go realise you ain’t quite doing it right your head goes GET OVER, I suppose an artic needing a lot of space to turn on the smaller junctions you use can straddle both to make the turn properly so you won’t do that to yourself haha

You obviously passed your car test ok, so maybe a few bad habits have crept in. You possibly know that if you move over it will be okay, but it isn’t defensive to do so and your actions are supposed to take into account even the biggest numpties out there. Try to think back to where you were when you passed your car test.

Also, all that matters is the pass. If you end up going in the wrong direction from being in a wrong lane, it isn’t actually a fail. Sure, the examiner may grumble if his/her planned route is up the spout. He/she will get over it. You are just playing the game to get a pass. Sometimes you are relying on road markings for goodness sake, these things happen. Beating oneself up and being a perfectionist about it isn’t really playing the game for what it is.

Noremac:
You obviously passed your car test ok, so maybe a few bad habits have crept in. You possibly know that if you move over it will be okay, but it isn’t defensive to do so and your actions are supposed to take into account even the biggest numpties out there. Try to think back to where you were when you passed your car test.

Also, all that matters is the pass. If you end up going in the wrong direction from being in a wrong lane, it isn’t actually a fail. Sure, the examiner may grumble if his/her planned route is up the spout. He/she will get over it. You are just playing the game to get a pass. Sometimes you are relying on road markings for goodness sake, these things happen. Beating oneself up and being a perfectionist about it isn’t really playing the game for what it is.

Thanks, and very good points, sometimes I forget just how daft many people are when driving, it might not look a a gap but some people see even the tiniest slither and they are going for it, that last part now have had time to sit and think about is extally what todo, I had probably worked myself up to much to pass this time…its new and better job, you failed last time because you where daft so get it done perfect! I should have just forgotten about jobs, forget the last one, forget the need todo it perfect all it needs to be is a pass, just have a nice gentle drive and SAFE drive

Sorry to hear that:(
I’ve got my second retest 17th June but not at PSTT as I don’t have time to travel that far. If it fail I don’t think I’ll have confidence to try again.

dead.duck:
I’ve got my second retest 17th June but not at PSTT as I don’t have time to travel that far. If it fail I don’t think I’ll have confidence to try again.

Best of luck!! I know how you feel, I don’t regret choosing to go down to PSTT at all for my training, the whole experience was excellent but it is a long drive down from Aberdeen let alone the extra up to you, Where did you end up going for this time?

Keep at it, you can drive that artic fine, its the clipboard of doom that gets the nerves going and things go to pot

I’m going for the shortest distance this time :slight_smile: - to Kirkwall. It’s gonna be something new as the guy has a drawbar not an artic.

I don’t regret training with PSTT either, I believe I learnt a lot, I would come back there but the travel time and costs involved put a lot of pressure on me… Last time when I went for a retest I went with my family, my husband and the children as it was October break. So it wasn’t a wasted journey,.we had a great time in Peak District!

dead.duck:

Hopefully you should pass 2nd time, if not just keep trying nerve really gets the better of people that why they fail. The good thing about test is you can take as many as you like minus w8ing 3 working days, with ADI driving if you pass 3 times your barred for 2 years