Am I being realistic

Good morning all. Kev from Leyland, Lancs here

After years of being a nurse I’ve finally decided I want to be a HGV driver. I’ve already sorted provisional and pending pass of theory on Thursday I’ll hopefully have my class 2 done before the end of the year

Due to childcare I’ll only be able to work part time on days until the little one gets to school

I’m thinking sign up to as many agencies as I can and give them my set days. Am I realistic that I’ll get work?

Another set of questions is can I apply for my digital tacho now?

Can I do the driver CPC theory test now?

I want to do as much as I can so I can work as soon as I can

Any advice or tips welcome

Thanks in advance

Kev

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

you will need all the cpc and tacho card before you approach anyone. I am currently in the process of trying to find work on the strength of my certificates as I only passed yesterday.

In my experience of agencies (warehouse work) most aren’t interested in part timers unless the roll is part time although they will waste your time going in to sign up promising you the world. However don’t let this put you off you may be able to pick up the odd day covering holiday/sickness or find work that fits in with your hours it all depends on your personal circumstances. A fried of mine chose to work nights as that allowed her to do the usual school run etc with her two and still be able to sleep.

hope this helps
coop

Many do all 3 theory tests on the same day - Mods 1a 1b + 2(cpc)

Passing mod means you can take the mod 4 test before doing the lorry training if you wanted to

Digicard you can get now

Do you have a pre 1997 car licence :question: - going to GUESS no because of the numbers in your username :exclamation:

ROG:
Many do all 3 theory tests on the same day - Mods 1a 1b + 2(cpc)

Passing mod means you can take the mod 4 test before doing the lorry training if you wanted to

Digicard you can get now

Do you have a pre 1997 car licence :question: - going to GUESS no because of the numbers in your username :exclamation:

No. Passed in 2001. Luckily had all provisional entitlements being ex forces so saved having to get a medical. I’ve already saved over £100 sorting the initial stuff myself rather than going via a company

Big believer in what’s meant to be and this feels right

Like anything I think it’s what you put into it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’m in the same situation. I work PT in another role that may/will eventually leads to FT class 1 work but how long that will take is anyone’s guess.

In the meantime im trying to find some Ad hoc or part time work on the days I can currently do each week. Agencies so far are not interested.

Edit: I did the 3 theories in 1 day, then my mod 4, then class 2, then class 1.