New driver question

Firstly hello everyone I’ve recently joined this site as I’ve decided it’s time to change careers. I come from a big family of drivers, even my great grandad was one! I e always loved driving in fact the first thing I ever drove was a Leyland Clydesdale at round the age of 5! I always said that I would become a driver but sadly life got in the way, I couldn’t afford the tests e.t.c and before I know it I’m in my 30’s with an ex-wife and 3 kids!!. Anyway my grandad passed away recently and it was his funeral on Monday. He was taken to church on the back of his truck driven by my dad. I decided then that it was time to follow in my family footsteps. I have sent off for my provisional and once that comes through I am going to go to my local training centre to find out what I need to do first. the question I’d like to ask you all is should I apply for a digital tacho card before I start training? It may be a daft question but I don’t know the answer. Hopefully one of you guys can help me.
Cheers

Hi mate.nice story. I applied for digi card after I passed class 2,it took under a week to arrive. No pressure with it. Get it now if you want. £32.

Thanks djp, I was gonna apply for it anyway just incase I’d need for training/tests. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to be prepared.

Dont need it for training or test mate.

Sorry to hear of your recent berevment.
Why not wait till after your training? There is no rush for it .

Thanks, I just wasn’t sure if I would need it or not for my training.

Dont need it for training so no rush as it last 5years from date you get it

You will need to book your HPT & theory unless your provider does this ( mine did ) pass them then onto practical training not sure when you passed your car test it does make a difference as to weather you need 35periodic or initial cpc

Cheers, I’ll hang on for a bit so it lasts longer then. Yeah I’ll have to do the initial cpc as I passed my car test in 98

I’ve done a few Mock theory tests and I’m confident in that but I haven’t tried any hpt’s yet

Just keep practicing, have you booked your theory and hazard perception tests yet ? You can do that yourself ,or like animal said perhaps your training provider may sort this for you .

All I’ve done so far is sent off my medical and application for my provisional. I was gonna wait for my licence to come back then go to my local training centre and ask them what I needed to do

My dad was a wagon driver too. He died a few years ago and sadly never got to know that I have also followed in his footsteps as a HGV driver.

Hopefully my kids will do better at school than I did and be able to choose better careers.

It may be a good idea to have an eye test if its not up to date.
You can always crack on & practice your theory & hpt in readyness. I took mine seperatly as it suited me better that way.

eagerbeaver:
My dad was a wagon driver too. He died a few years ago and sadly never got to know that I have also followed in his footsteps as a HGV driver.

Hopefully my kids will do better at school than I did and be able to choose better careers.

Sorry for your loss mate, I’m sure he’ll be happy for you. I hope the same for my kids but as long as they are happy in what they do that’s all that matters, that’s why I want to drive.

bonnie lass:
It may be a good idea to have an eye test if its not up to date.
You can always crack on & practice your theory & hpt in readyness. I took mine seperatly as it suited me better that way.

I’ve had an eye test and that was all good, I’m pretty confident with the theory I just need to get some training material for the hpt.

eagerbeaver, I cant see how they need a better career, I have been driving for nearly 40 years, seen some wonderful places enjoyed more days than not, and retired at 60, if you don’t enjoy it or the moneys not enough move job or house whatever is needed lifes too short to stay in a job you don’t like, and you will make every one around you unhappy too ,I used to commute from Poole to Bristol for a job I enjoyed as well as paid what I wanted to earn, I used less fuel than when I worked local and drove to it every day,

Hi there all, I have had a DQC card since 2013 through a PCV licence I have now passed my class 2 licence will this then cover me for my class 2?

Im glad Hotel Magnum that you enjoy your job. I enjoy my job too. One of my cousins is a senior aircraft technician who has worked his way up through the management at a major airline. He enjoys his job too.

I earn £25k a year. He earns £75k a year. Do you get where I am going with this lol.

Thankyou for your comment Eddi. A gentleman is among us.

eagerbeaver:
Im glad Hotel Magnum that you enjoy your job. I enjoy my job too. One of my cousins is a senior aircraft technician who has worked his way up through the management at a major airline. He enjoys his job too.

I earn £25k a year. He earns £75k a year. Do you get where I am going with this lol.

Totaly agree with the sentiment :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong I’d love to earn 75k a year!! My biggest saying is “I work to live I don’t live to work”. I’ve earned good money doing what I do now, but the job I do doesn’t make me happy. In the past year that has affected my home life so enough is enough, We spend half our life at work so why not spend that half of your life doing something that makes you happy?