CPC initial training help

Hi, I live in Coventry and just passed my Cat C. I’m confused on what I need to do next to be a professional Lorry driver. Been quoted £300 for module 2&4. Any recommendations on who I should go with and a good price. Thanks

That’s about normal. We give 10% discount to Trucknet users as well.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Mod 2 is a test you can arrange on your own, you can book it here, from memory I think the cost is about £24, from what I’ve heard if you’ve recently passed the theory test you should be OK for mod 2.

How long ago did you do the theory test ?

For mod 4 you will need to go to a training company because a HGV vehicle is needed, check the cost with local training companies including the training company you did cat C with who I believe was J Coats.

I’m sure I read somewhere module 2 Is £30 and module 4 is approx £100-150. So how does it add up to nearly double as normal?

Hi tachograph. Passed modules 1&2 in June. Yes was Jcoates. What’s a normal and reasonable price to pay for module 4? Thanks

Casba1981:
Hi tachograph. Passed modules 1&2 in June. Yes was Jcoates. What’s a normal and reasonable price to pay for module 4? Thanks

How come Coates did not address the CPC issue when you first talked to them :question:

Do you have a pre 1997 car licence :question:

No not a pre 1997 driver. They never mentioned it and I didn’t think to ask as didn’t think I needed it until now when looking for work. When I did the test it seems like we did it as did all the checks around the vehicle and was asked a few questions. Maybe the CPC is different. Seems like it’s all a money spin. Having to jump through many hoops just to get a start!

Sorry but you did mention mod 2 in your opening post, if it’s only mod 4 you need I would have thought around the £200 mark or less, but I don’t really know for sure.

Your best bet is to phone around local companies for prices compare them with the offer by Peter Smythe then choose.

To avoid any further confusion it may be worth establishing exactly what tests you’ve done ?

Thanks. I have just booked module 2 for £23. I only need Module 4. Just seems never ending. Waiting for another surprise after I complete that with another test and another lol. Sorry losing the will with how hard they are making it to get a licence to work.

If you’ve been able to book mod 2 presumably what you passed in June was the theory and the driving test.

I believe there’s plenty of study material around for mod 2, some people use DrivingTheory4All

Thank you [emoji4]

Casba1981:
They never mentioned it and I didn’t think to ask as didn’t think I needed it until now when looking for work

Not up to you to ask as a good trainer should assume you know nothing especially going for your first LGV category

We get 1 or 2 phone calls a week from people who have completed their driver training and passed the driving test then ring us to ask about CPC.

I dont understand why the driver training places don’t tell them about it. I have a relationship with a local trainer and send them there if they need initial. This means their original training provider is losing out on more revenue.

I get the impression some places consider Mod 2 & 4 to be not worth bothering with and not part of what they do.

Got to say it isn’t helping new drivers get into the industry.

To be fair some trainees get confused about what’s needed and could possibly fail to take in everything they’re told by the training company, we all know what the DCPC is but if you’re coming at HGV training for the first time I imagine it must be quite confusing.
You would think training companies would take the trouble to make sure the trainee understands what’s required though, even if only to avoid throwing business away.

We certainly ensure folks know what they need. The Mod 4 is £235 (less 10% Trucknet discount) with us. The reason it’s more than the test fee is that this includes the training and use of the vehicle for test. When you work it out, it’s far from a money-spinner but we offer it as a service.

We have the huge benefit of being able to conduct the training and test under cover if the weather isn’t with is - so that’s a bonus!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks guys. Looking for something closer if poss as in Coventry but will keep it in mind. Need to pass module 2 before booking I guess.

Please read forum rule #5.

Hi guys, passed module 2 today and now need to book module 4. Do you get any training for this before the test? What’s everyone’s experience with it and also what costs did you pay for it etc. Any info would be appreciated.