Truck Driving - Returner

From what you’ve said about previous experience I wouldn’t be unduly concerned about stepping back in

My own journey was quite similar

I worked on Class One general haulage for a variety of operators for ten years after passing my test in 1986 - working out of a north west sea port predominantly for Irish outfits and their subcontractors was a pretty steep and eventful learning experience constantly chasing boats or chasing delivery times going through other way

After ten years I moved into something completely different and remained in that “industry” for 26 yrs

Left and draw a half decent pension but not ready for the scrap heap, I took a part time job with a well known supermarket chain delivering groceries and looked into renewing my quals on the arctics - I never let my licence go, but had to do 35 hrs CPC which I did a mixture of on line and at a local training centre

I also went for a 90 min assessment at that training centre to see where I was at with driving arctics - “after a wee while away”

Basically the instructor said I didn’t need any which whilst was a relief it was also daunting after so long away - BUT it really is like riding a bike - you do not forget

So I paid for my digital card and also renewed my class one - as it was that time - including a medical due to age

All set for work I enquired internally about moving to the logistics side of the business and was offered an assessment which consisted of a multi choice paper exam on CPC, road traffic law and tacho / working time hours and a driving assessment on the road and in the yard for manoeuvring which I passed

I’ve been working full time for several months now and frankly, it’s a ■■■■ site easier now than I recall it being my first time around

No push, up to date units, all auto and all with driver aids , all back door delivery with fridges

I’m glad I believed in previous experiences and applied myself to do the necessary to get CpC etc

The moral of this lengthy post is believe in yourself and your experience and do it