My New HGV Driver Journey

Hello all - I just passed my LGV Theory test - thought it might be useful to put down my experiences up until now and from now on?

Congrats on passing the theory! all the best in your future training :smiley:

I found this site really helpful when I went through my training. If your wanting to do a diary as well that would be grand. Might jog your memory into remembering something which you can ask about on here.

OK, well, I will start with a bit of background - I am 39 and was a teacher in a secondary school from 2004 to December 2012. before that I was a university for 4 years, first doing a degree in History (don’t ask) and then a 1 year PGCE to become a history teacher (what else can you do with a flipping history degree?) Prior to that I worked in a papermill from the age of 18 to 29.
I had never really considered truck driving as an option, my only connection with it was a school friend, whose dad was an owner-driver, and the vague knowledge that my granddad had driven a truck for the RAF after the war, in various roles.
I lost my job at the end of 2012, and it was only after it was all over that I realised how much of a pain the job had become. We were in the position that my wife (also a teacher) was able to go back to work mon-thurs, and I would become ‘daddy daycare’. this left Fridays and the weekends free for me to think about doing something to earn a bit of extra cash (I never was one content to sit around not earning). A friend I made through the kids’ school told me about his work driving for an agency.
He is a class 1 driver with years of experience, so was pulling in quite a bit - maybe £100 for a night trunking run, and he pointed out that as someone who passed his test before 1996, I would have ‘granddad rights’ to drive 7.5T vehicles. I knew I could drive minibuses too, as I had driven the school one for years. I didn’t really know what a 7.5tonner was - turns out I was picturing a Luton van!
After umming and arring a few months I went and registered for work with the agency, as much as for a bit of interest, as to earn money. I managed to fill in the required documentation and assessment after a bit of internet revision. I also sent off for a driver digi card.
My first job was as a 7.5 ton driver, for Wickes. I turned-up at the appointed time and was directed to the transport manager upstairs (I had no idea that Wickes did so much ‘transporting’ that it required a manager!). He asked me if I had plenty of 7.5 tonner experience.
Now, this was a problem - I didn’t want to (a) drop the agency in it for sending a rookie, or (b) risk being sent home, so I mumbled and nodded, letting him take that as a yes - I think if he had pushed the point, I would have 'fessed-up.
Anyway, I am introduced to my driver’s mate, given a driver checklist to fill in and a manual tacho to use - GULP!
Well, I put it in upside-down, and had to fill in another after the shift.
The first hurdle was when I got into the cab - I realised that this was actually different to a Luton Van. Looking around at the controls (I expected all sorts of weird and wonderful gear shifts and ratio-changing thingies) I was able to identify the basic controls, including something that looked like a ventilation control, but purported to be an automatic gear selector. The only thing that stumped me was an odd little handle sticking-up by the driver’s seat. As the manager and my ‘mate’ were outside, chatting, I took the time to take a picture of the mysterious handle with my mobile phone, and sent a message to my Class 1 mate asking what the hell it was. Expecting it to be the gear-ratio-thingy I had dreaded, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a message telling me it was the handbrake!
Anyway ,the day went well, aside from a little scrape on the back against a gatepost. It was actually pretty good training, as I had to back in and out of all sorts of weird and wonderful places, delivering kitchens, plasterboard, etc… My ‘mate’ was actually doing his cat c training at the time and was happy to fill me in on a few things (I even leaned what the retarder brake was, and when to use it!).
Now I realise this all sounds a bit ‘seat of the pants’ and OTJ training, but I honestly didn’t know what I was getting in to when I started - after 6 months of driving 7.5 tonners, I can now see why the automatic right to drive them was taken away in '96. I think that after being a (car) driver for 22 years, I probably avoided a lot of situations that less-experienced drivers might have got themselves into. I should also point out, that from 1992-2002 I drove a lot of different vehicles in the TA (landrovers of various marks and sizes, minibuses, sometimes with, sometimes without trailers, on and off road), so I was kind of used to driving various vehicles which were new to me, and taking it easy until I have the feel of them was automatic.

I am now preparing myself for a barrage of indignation…

Nice post Shandy :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed it. It all sounds a bit familiar as I have a music degree that I don’t use now. I love the bit where you post a photo to a friend with the boss outside…

Anyway, everyone has to have a first day and sounds like you did pretty well! I had a baptism of fire too, I read the DSA book on HGV driving, and turned up at an agency and got handed the written competency test, which I passed. Managed to get lucky demonstrating filling out a tacho when in reality I hadn’t got a clue. First job was taking a transit to Battersea (central London) which went remarkably well. Then next thing I know I’m sent to pick up a 7.5t curtain side truck and given some papers of what to drop where. I remember thinking “just get this thing out of sight without hitting anything…” and managed to get out of the yard before I folded the left mirror on a hedge, and then stopped in a lay bye to figure out how on earth the curtain sides worked before I had to open them in front of anyone. I also couldn’t stop the engine until 2nd drop when someone kind showed me what the pedal on the floor was for. That was all over 15 years ago now, and more recently I got class 2, and have class 1 training next week.

Well done on the theory pass and best of luck for your cat C training.

I think quite a lot of “oh yeah, driven my mate’s horsebox,” etc, goes on. I taught myself how to use a digi tacho on YouTube.

You were lucky to only fold a mirror in.

I was shockingly unlucky when I started out, the number of times I left a drop, only to find some terrible hit and run type had ripped mine off and just driven away. What a shame the short sighted old dear that witnessed it hadn’t been able to get his number. :wink:

But I’m not as bad as one new starter we had (don’t think he lasted a week)

Called MAN out as his motor wouldn’t start.

Waited 90 mins.

Mechanic came over, and as if by magic…

… put it into neutral.

NOVE:
But I’m not as bad as one new starter we had (don’t think he lasted a week)

Called MAN out as his motor wouldn’t start.

Waited 90 mins.

Mechanic came over, and as if by magic…

… put it into neutral.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Ha ha! yeah - no one tells you about little things like some vehicles need the clutch or the brake or the gear selector in a certain position.
I have folded my mirror in on another (parked) truck, in some little town around Huddersfield, on my second or third week of 7.5T work. I think it was a bread van. I stopped further up, feeling useless and got out to walk back and apologise, but by then, the driver had folded it back out and driven off, so I relaxed a bit.
Other kinds of jobs I have had through the agency are multidrop steel delivery (nightmare - everything covered in grease, you get in the cab after a delivery, take your gloves of and get hold of the wheel, only to find that too is covered in black grease). I haven’t yet done any CPC, but I was concerned at the state of the straps - wet, knicked and abraded. Although one farmer I delivered a mild steel chimney to was so pleased with it he gave me a dozen eggs!
Multidrop timber for, which was awkward in gusty conditions handballing huge sheets of marine ply or full size floor joists and beams with no mate. I also had to try my hand at sheeting that load as it was raining - it wasn’t a pretty sight, but it was secure (I am a scout leader!).
My favourite is a run straight up to the northeast for one client. maybe 2-5 pallets up and 2 or 3 back - just the one drop. I do this run once or twice a week (which is all I really can do at the moment). I generally stop off for a meal on the way back - I tried that truckstop one junction up from Scotch Corner last week, but was a bit disappointed that the café was owned and operated by ‘The Food Co’. I wanted a proper (and cheap) greasey spoon type café. The food was nice (sausage, chips, eggs, 2 cups of good strong tea, and I even had a pudding and custard), but I spent a tenner. one cup of tea = £1.67, which I think is more than a bit steep. If you wanted ketchup or brown sauce, you had to pay quite a bit for a sachet. If anyone knows a better/cheaper truck stop café between say marne barracks and durham, I would appreciate a pointer (getting tired of McD’s).
The money isn’t great - I get just over £50 take home for 8 hours work, then 1.5 time (breaks taken off too), but compared to working in a school, I do enjoy the work, I must say. Nobody looking too closely over your shoulder or judging how you do the work, as long as the load gets there in good order and good time, and you don’t take the ■■■■ too much in going over your 8hrs all the time. ( I had a multidrop nightmare last week, turning up at the depot at 6am, and not getting back til 18:20 - I think everyone else was done by 14:30!)
I recently had to transfer TA units, as my old one got the chop under the Army reorg last year, and have moved to a transport regiment, so I am doing my Cat C in the near future through them - this should hopefully give me more options for work at the agency, and pay a little better. I am pretty sure there is scope in the medium term to do my +E and ADR with them, so that should be useful too. If I can make a go of it, I would like to stick with the driving. Once the little 'un starts school this September, I should be able to do more work also.

Um - ok, just checking in to update my “journey” in case it is of interest/assistance/moral support to others considering LGV work.
I passed my test last week, in a manual (4 over 4) MAN 18 tonner. It was my second attempt - I failed the previous week with 8 minors and one ‘Serious’ fault (you are allowed 15 minors, but no Serious or ‘dangerous’) - What I did was during the ‘independent drive’ part of the test, where they say ‘follow signs for X’ I was on Darlington ringroad, following signs for some place (I forget which) and as on the sign it appeared that the second exit, which was the one I needed, was past ‘12 oclock’, I thought ‘I am turning right at the roundabout ahead’ - better get in the right hand lane. Then I realized that because I was on the ringroad, I could’ve gone right in either lane, but I was committed already!
So I found myself, in fairly heavy traffic, trying to turn a very sharp right and I realized that I faced three options - 1)Mount the kerb on the roundabout, 2) crash into/onto the car in the lefthand lane of the roundabout/ 3) Stop. I chose the first option, but all three, I believe would have failed me one way or another.
After a few more hours (ok 1.5 days) of training, and going over what I did wrong on the minor mistakes, I retook the test the next week and passed with only three minors, so it worked out OK. Luckily I didn’t have to wait the usual week to retest, or pay for more lessons plus retest, as I am doing it through my Army Reserve unit :slight_smile:.
I am currently 4 days into my DCPC course, provided by the agency I work for (£40 a day) so after tomorrow, I will be able to hone my Cat C skills without the worry of an instructor or tester sat next to me. I am pencilled in for a week’s worth of night trunking on a run down the M1 I have done lots before as a mate, so I reckon that’s a nice gentle way to cut my teeth.
One reflection I have on this experience is that it was good to have a different instructor after my fail - not because the first instructor was any worse, but just because he had different advice to give, didn’t have any memory of stuff that I perhaps struggled on in week 1, and was looking solely at where I was on the day - I think it gave me a much more rounded ‘education’. Also - I know it might fall on deaf ears, but although you will be absolutely gutted if you fail on the first attempt, try to step back and take a long view - you are going to get more training - tailored to your main areas which need development - it will make you a better and more professional driver, and will certainly make you respect the standard which professional drivers have to attain.
That’s all for now!

Shandy123:
I passed my test last week, in a manual (4 over 4) MAN 18 tonner.

:smiley: :smiley:

Congrats Shandy
Have you done any work yet in the Class 2?
I am starting my class 2 training this weekend…slight apprehensions but reading your experiences and backgound has cheered me up…thanks

Hi Space,
Not yet. I have week of night trunks starting next monday. Its a job I have been a mate on before, so should be ok!
I will let you know how I get on.
I am sure you will be fine, just relax.

Enjoying reading your experiences, Shandy (I have just retired :slight_smile: )

TheBear:
Enjoying reading your experiences, Shandy (I have just retired :slight_smile: )

Thanks, bear - it is nice to get some feedbac. :slight_smile:
Congratulations on reaching retirement. I know several lgv drivers who ‘retired’ but missed it, and were soon back doing agency two days a week!

Well done you have pushed your self and achieved what you set out to do. Enjoyed your diary .

■■■■■■00:
Well done you have pushed your self and achieved what you set out to do. Enjoyed your diary .

Thanks mate.

OK - a little update.
As I mentioned earlier - I have a week of night trunks to do (starting tomorrow night). I was lucky enough to get three days day work last weds-fri, in a class 2.
I was a bit disappointed when I turned up to the job on Weds morning, as it was a Daf LF - it didn’t feel like a ‘proper’ lorry: Tiny little day cab, no bunk at all - the seats right up against the rear of the cab etc… I didn’t realise that LFs were anything other than 7.5 tonners!?
Also, the gears were a manual 6 speed - no range changer or anything.
On reflection, however, I think it was probably the best step-up that I could have had - I had the experience of getting used to the size and weight of a loaded 18 tonner, getting my head around that and the larger capacity and different strapping systems, etc, without the added complication of thinking about the range changer, so overall I am quite happy with the experience.
Tomorrow night, the Daf CF experience (I can’t wait - I think I have finally found a job I love! _ Roll-on C+E!)

It’s rare to get anything but a straight 6 or auto on an 18 tonner.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
It’s rare to get anything but a straight 6 or auto on an 18 tonner.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ah - so you think the MAN 18tonner with a range changer, which they trained me on was chosen just to give some experience with a view to future C+E training?