Returning to Driving

I gave up driving HGVs about 15 years ago and in the last few years have only done 2 or 3,000 per year. Now I am unemployed and driving seems to be a good way of getting back into work, I have got intouch with several driving schools to see if they do refresher courses , non do, contacted RHA who havee not replyed, so any advice?

I have never driven an auto truck.

Macski:
I gave up driving HGVs about 15 years ago and in the last few years have only done 2 or 3,000 per year. Now I am unemployed and driving seems to be a good way of getting back into work, I have got intouch with several driving schools to see if they do refresher courses , non do, contacted RHA who havee not replyed, so any advice?

Appy for a job.

Don’t need courses; you’ll get back into it quickly. Couple days in it’ll be like you didn’t leave.

Autoboxes are far easier than manuals but less fun.

Trucks basically drive themselves now.

It’s like riding a bike, you never forget. Autos are easy. Sign up with an agency, companies expect agency to be crap so no pressure. Make sure you’re up to date with the drivers hours regs as there’s been a few minor changes since you last drove such as you can only split a 45 into a 15 and 30 and there’s the WTD too.

Remember that you will need a medical a digital tacho card and your DCPC .I sometimes wonder if its all worth it.

alamcculloch:
.I sometimes wonder if its all worth it.

To sit down all day staring at the horizon listening to music?

Yeah… its worth it

Start contacting transport companies in your area and see what happens. If larger companies need drivers they may be able to give you a day or two with their inhouse driver trainers. Good luck.

Many thanks for your posts.

Done my med waiting for DVLA med dept to give me the licence, got my DCPC, waiting for my tacho card.

Actually surprised at the lack of interest in my job applications, might go down the OD route if nothing comes up.

Watching Trucker Jay on you tube he seems very keen on strapping everything down even things like crisps, although other tubers like Luke C and Trucker Jenco don’t seem to be as keen, depends what they are moving. When I was on curtin siders used to strap down tall pallets and things that easily moved like machines, whiskey, bottles of water, but things like crisps, tea even cans of food did not bother, no one did. So what is the situation these days?

Macski:
Many thanks for your posts.

Done my med waiting for DVLA med dept to give me the licence, got my DCPC, waiting for my tacho card.

Actually surprised at the lack of interest in my job applications, might go down the OD route if nothing comes up.

Watching Trucker Jay on you tube he seems very keen on strapping everything down even things like crisps, although other tubers like Luke C and Trucker Jenco don’t seem to be as keen, depends what they are moving. When I was on curtin siders used to strap down tall pallets and things that easily moved like machines, whiskey, bottles of water, but things like crisps, tea even cans of food did not bother, no one did. So what is the situation these days?

Start here…
gov.uk/government/publicati … r-guidance
youtube.com/watch?v=cjeBg4SABZw
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=171552

EDit to add:
What DCPC courses did you do then? Load security might have been a good option.
Have fun !
And good luck in job search.

Macski:

s?

There’s no demand for drivers, so you’re thinking of buying a truck?

stu675:

Macski:

s?

There’s no demand for drivers, so you’re thinking of buying a truck?

If I can’t get work yes.

Macski:
s?

Flippin heck mate, I wouldn’t be too quick to go down that rabbit hole. Not unless you have excess money to burn and to do it as a very expoensive hobby. I would sooner drop back onto Class 2 work than to go OD. Good luck with it if you do it though.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Macski:
s?

Flippin heck mate, I wouldn’t be too quick to go down that rabbit hole. Not unless you have excess money to burn and to do it as a very expoensive hobby. I would sooner drop back onto Class 2 work than to go OD. Good luck with it if you do it though.

Gotta agree with that 100%.
If there are no vacancies for drivers, could that be because there isnt much work around your area? And starting up in a business youve been away from for years? That wouldnt work anywhere would it? Keep that as an ambition, but jumping in would likely be a disaster. Unless youve got an “in” then you`ve no chance. And if you have got an “in” then use that to get a job!

O/Ds can make a decent living, but not all of them do, and many fall over.
We mostly hear of the successes, and not the failures. Blokes in a pub talk of their money and cars, not their debts and holes in shoes.

Apply for a warehouse job , in my experience ( brakes ) they will at some point ask what license you have , when they realise you have a lorry license they will either use you to cover shortages of lorry drivers or permanently transfer you to lorry driving .
Nb I was ■■■■■■ off as I wanted to work in warehouse , not drive to didn’t take up offer of a job driving

Macski:

Strap everything down if you don’t want DVSA or police to relieve you of a day’s wage for insecure load. Police get next to sod all training and a small pamphlet as a guide so don’t know what can and cannot be transported without having to use internals/ratchet straps even if you’ve load bearing curtains. Cross strap rear stack too if its not close to rear doors.

Basically the crap you used to get away with 15 years ago no longer flies.

Conor:

Macski:

Strap everything down if you don’t want DVSA or police to relieve you of a day’s wage for insecure load. Police get next to sod all training and a small pamphlet as a guide so don’t know what can and cannot be transported without having to use internals/ratchet straps even if you’ve load bearing curtains. Cross strap rear stack too if its not close to rear doors.

Basically the crap you used to get away with 15 years ago no longer flies.

I never got away with any crap, there are things that don’t need strapping down in a curtin sider things that do used to get secured appropriately.

Franglais:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Macski:
s?

Gotta agree with that 100%.
If there are no vacancies for drivers, could that be because there isnt much work around your area? And starting up in a business youve been away from for years? That wouldnt work anywhere would it? Keep that as an ambition, but jumping in would likely be a disaster. Unless youve got an “in” then you`ve no chance. And if you have got an “in” then use that to get a job!

O/Ds can make a decent living, but not all of them do, and many fall over.
We mostly hear of the successes, and not the failures. Blokes in a pub talk of their money and cars, not their debts and holes in shoes.

Don’t have moneyy to burn but it is a way to an end.

Did it once, it was OK although back then I ran a fairly old truck I bought for not much, these days with all the CAZ zones I am not sure whrther it would pay but open minded.

Thanks for everyones advice, very appraciated!

Might have got work on agency, see what happens, got a driving assesment.

Macski:

I had 17 yrs out of it from 91 to 08 the first 2 days maybe were a bit nerve racking but as mentioned it’s like riding a bike especially these days most trucks are driver friendly.

bald bloke:

Macski:

I had 17 yrs out of it from 91 to 08 the first 2 days maybe were a bit nerve racking but as mentioned it’s like riding a bike especially these days most trucks are driver friendly.

Thanks!!!

Anyone on the road tomorrow from 11 am please stay home as I will be driving a truck for the first timke in ages!

Was going to have an assessment before they let me loose in one but they are to busy.

Macski:
Anyone on the road tomorrow from 11 am please stay home as I will be driving a truck for the first timke in ages!

Was going to have an assessment before they let me loose in one but they are to busy.

Good luck with the job :smiley:

I was out of it for about 22 years, there was a lot to learn when I returned to driving HGVs around 2005 but it’s surprising how quickly you get back into it.

Take your time and concentrate and it will be like you gave it up a couple of years ago :wink: